The sobriety club

I’ve been surprised recently how many elite athletes are vegan.

The aforementioned documentary highlights several elite athletes who are on plant based diets include the defensive line for the Tennessee Titans, a 39 year old Olympic Gold Medal winning cyclist, Arnold Schwarzenegger, MMA fighter Nate Diaz and more. It's a compelling argument for more investigation on the subject.

The aforementioned documentary highlights several elite athletes who are on plant based diets include the defensive line for the Tennessee Titans, a 39 year old Olympic Gold Medal winning cyclist, Arnold Schwarzenegger, MMA fighter Nate Diaz and more. It's a compelling argument for more investigation on the subject.

I saw this back in the 80’s when I stopped eating meat.

I was introduced to the lifestyle through hardcore punk rock that was going through an eastern religion phase. A lot of these dudes were jacked, like borderline amateur body builders, and they did it all without animal protein.

I don’t know if you listened to Cro-mags... but John Josephs and Harley Flanagan have been vegan for something like, forty years and those dudes are ripped!

I dunno. I guess less fast food and more home made meals. Mostly at lunch. I also find that I am doing less “bored” munching during the day since the Mrs retired. Hard to explain, but my “routine” got interrupted and I haven’t recovered. It’s also effected my guitar playing. I’ve barely touched the guitar now that she’s home everyday.

Our retirement age is 60 and Ive worked with several guys who are almost 65 still working because they have no hobbies and dont know what else to do with themselves.

I would encourage anyone making the switch to a vegan diet to do a lot of research. You can find information from people who after 2-3 years started to become deficient in some vitamins and proteins (not all proteins are the same). My wife was one of them, she was on a strict vegan diet, not the kind where you eat only chips and a salad here and there, but mostly vegetables and home made smoothies with a B12 supplement. After a while she got some concerning liver test lab results and we believe it was linked to the types of proteins available in most vegan diets, proteins from mostly beans, peas, and chickpeas. While its "protein" most diets have a much larger range on protein types from what I have read on the subject. That being said, she has not had a followup blood test done yet. I'm no expert, just putting out a word of caution!

I would encourage anyone making the switch to a vegan diet to do a lot of research. You can find information from people who after 2-3 years started to become deficient in some vitamins and proteins (not all proteins are the same). My wife was one of them, she was on a strict vegan diet, not the kind where you eat only chips and a salad here and there, but mostly vegetables and home made smoothies with a B12 supplement. After a while she got some concerning liver test lab results and we believe it was linked to the types of proteins available in most vegan diets, proteins from mostly beans, peas, and chickpeas. While its "protein" most diets have a much larger range on protein types from what I have read on the subject. That being said, she has not had a followup blood test done yet. I'm no expert, just putting out a word of caution!

My problem is that I don't really care for vegetables, so I eat a lot of animal protein. I need to find a better balance in my diet to include more veggies (and fewer cookies)

My problem is that I don't really care for vegetables, so I eat a lot of animal protein. I need to find a better balance in my diet to include more veggies (and fewer cookies)

That’s me as well. Sort of. Not a veggie fan at all. I’ll eat salad. Carrots. But potatoes are a big thing for me, and that’s not great for a diabetic. I have cut down on red meat over the years, and I eat a lot more chicken. But I don’t have enough taste for veggies to make them my primary diet item.

I like vegetables well enough, but many of them cause my blood to misbehave. We all have to find a balance that works with out body chemistry and our conscious.
I’m not sure fewer cookies is the answer.

@Shawn@PRS I get your struggle!
That’s me as well. Sort of. Not a veggie fan at all. I’ll eat salad. Carrots. But potatoes are a big thing for me, and that’s not great for a diabetic. I have cut down on red meat over the years, and I eat a lot more chicken. But I don’t have enough taste for veggies to make them my primary diet item.

I think a lot of it has to do with how us westerners prepare veggies, they’re kinda boring, with just salt, pepper, and maybe some butter for seasoning. If you check out some other culture’s foods that’ve lived primarily vegetarian lifestyles for longer... they’ve figured out how to make that stuff way more fun to eat.

Like, Indian food is Bangin’! I swear peas were only put here on Earth to be used in mutter paneer. Mediterranean food is rad, falafel and spicy lentil soup.Ethiopian food is delicious too, stuff like that by people that have been cooking and living only on veggies for thousands and thousands of years.

Veggie sandwiches are also great, mostly because it’s the condiments that can do all the heavy lifting flavors wise. I like making Cajun spiced veggie sandwiches with lots of peppers... they’re not too boring.

My Brother is one of those 73,000. Died at 63 from liver disease.
:( Sorry to hear that. When I see these things, I always wonder just how much the person drank. I know people who drink a lot of beer. I know people who drink a few drinks a day of liquor. The only people I've known that had serious health issues related to alcohol were people who drink a lot of liquor. I mean a lot. Like the ones who stayed drunk. Get up in the morning and start drinking vodka and stuff. I'm sure there are people that have issues that drink far less than that, and I think if THAT word got out, it might slow even more people down a bit. Meaning, like if a guy was a 3-4 beers a night or 2-3 drinks a night guy and had these issues, that might slow other people down. I think the perception with many people is, that unless you drink WAY too much, you won't have serious problems from it.

I was thinking about this the other day, because I read something saying "anything over 7 drinks a week is excessive drinking." My thought was, 2-3 beers a day is not really that much alcohol if you're drinking Coors light or something. A mixed drink with two shots in it is not really that much. But either of those daily is double or more what they call "excessive."

Last edited by a moderator:
:( Sorry to hear that. When I see these things, I always wonder just how much the person drank. I know people who drink a lot of beer. I know people who drink a few drinks a day of liquor. The only people I've known that had serious health issues related to alcohol were people who drink a lot of liquor. I mean a lot. Like the ones who stayed drunk. Get up in the morning and start drinking vodka and stuff. I'm sure there are people that have issues that drink far less than that, and I think if THAT word got out, it might slow even more people down a bit. Meaning, like if a guy was a 3-4 beers a night or 2-3 drinks a night guy and had these issues, that might slow other people down. I think the perception with many people is, that unless you drink WAY too much, you won't have serious problems from it.
In my brother's case it was probably the drugs as much or more than the alcohol. Let's just say that anything that would alter his normal state of mind was fair game. He probably would have died far sooner if he would have had the money to spend on more "medications". I love my brother, but he spent his life in a very unhappy search for someone else to blame for his poor fortunes and some way to stop thinking about them. He could have led a productive life if only he could have taken responsibility for his own choices.

they called it a fifth of whiskey because it takes five to get through the work week.

Last edited:
In my brother's case it was probably the drugs as much or more than the alcohol. Let's just say that anything that would alter his normal state of mind was fair game. He probably would have died far sooner if he would have had the money to spend on more "medications". I love my brother, but he spent his life in a very unhappy search for someone else to blame for his poor fortunes and some way to stop thinking about them. He could have led a productive life if only he could have taken responsibility for his own choices.
Sorry to hear that. :(

On Feb, 28 I will be 21 yrs sober. quit when I was 37. if I close my eyes and concentrate, I can taste whiskey on my tongue like it was yesterday since my last drink. it never goes away, it's always there lurking, waiting for you to drop your guard. like the saying goes, it's "one day at a time". God bless all our sober PRS brothers!

Back