The "Show Off Your ZM" Thread

The SE studs are nickel plated (I believe) and sometimes a player's sweat can be pretty tough on the plating. And rarely the plating job isn't that great to start with. Snap a pic of the stud and your receipt and email it to PRS Customer Service, they might hook you up with a new one. Otherwise, the Tonepros locking studs are mighty nice!

thanks Andy, you were right... yesterday I wrote to the customer service and they replied today saying they´re sending me a new stud. I thought it would be a problem because I bought the guitar in the USA and I live in Colombia, but they are sending the stud, no problem.

GREAT SERVICE! I love PRS.

thanks Andy, you were right... yesterday I wrote to the customer service and they replied today saying they´re sending me a new stud. I thought it would be a problem because I bought the guitar in the USA and I live in Colombia, but they are sending the stud, no problem.

Glad to hear it! PRS does a great job of taking care of their customers.

Oh man, mines out for delivery.. should be here within a few hours!!!
NGD and GAS! :rock:

Get those batteries charge in your camera!
It is always an exciting day knowing your guitar is soon to arrive.

Feels Like Home

There's a few places on the PRS webby where they say the guitar should "Feel Like Home".
Now I know what they're talking about.

It's so beautiful..:bawling:

N' I don't mean just the looks..
  • The weight - it's probably the lightest guitar in the quiver. So relieved.. Every other PRS I've ever played felt a little like a cinder block strapped to my body.
  • The feel of the neck - was a little concerned about the "fat wide" descriptors, but not anymore. It fits fine, feels great.
  • The slink - really amazed at the feel and ease of the string bend. Unexpected happiness.

This purchase was part of my quest to determine the best guitar scale length for me and my playing.
Already own guitars at 25.5" (a bit too big), 24.75" (a bit better/more comfortable) and 24" (a bit too tight/but could adjust).

24.5" fits perfectly. Just amazing.

So here's a few pics from the phone...
Depending on the light, I'm seeing all kinds of different colors in the finish. N' I dig that.
prsFullFront.jpg

prsFbody_0.jpg

One with a little more light to demo the depth of the trampas green.

prsFbody_1.jpg

Last edited:

So I received 2 new studs and already replaced them. They are a little different (curved on top) from the ones that came stock so I hope these are better quality and dont "rust" as easy.

Here´s a couple pics to show the difference and the problem with the old one.

Thanks PRS.

29xiuj5.jpg

m7awyg.jpg

Received my SE ZM in Spalted Maple, care of Brian's Guitars, today. I have barely had a chance to tune it (seems to play just fine, though) - been slammed at work - but hope to run it through the amp I brought in before heading home for the day.

Here's a quick mobile phone photo, cleaned up a little to get more-representative color and contrast:

ZMSpaltedBody20140909_152255fixed_1024_zps678d52eb.jpg

It looks very nice. I'm liking the subtle tiger striping along the center, somewhat chevron-ish. The rest of the guitar seems to look like a "normal" Trampas Green ZM - hard to tell if the body mahogany is stained a little lighter than normal, since I've never seen a TG ZM in person. Or maybe it is just variation in the natural wood color, but mine is fairly light. I'll see if I can get a good picture in sunlight later this week...

So just to follow up - I just banged out a 15 min session of clean and dirty stuff on the Spalted ZM through my Fender HRDX amp out in the hig-bay at work (everyone out there is now gone for the day, except shipping and receiving, my audience...)

I'm liking the sound! I need to get home and compare to the other horses in the stable, but I think I'm gonna keep these pups. The tuners don't bother me yet, and probably never will. (I got a comment from someone about how pretty the faux-jade tuning pegs looked!)

Co-workers dropping by my office during the day were quite fascinated by the spalting effect.

Received mine from Brian's yesterday, and BTW what a stand up guy Brian is... This is a beauty with an awesome flame middle section.
9764b5a8662e1a07b7db256228d61332.jpg
a87878bd095a00af12ee3b49e0860853.jpg
0a72ddbcd9ff02d1ea331b611d024414.jpg
7de48564d988aa32b9c1eb7afbcdc886.jpg

Last edited:
Texquin, nice guitar! I love how all of the spalts look completely different, and all seem to be quite nicely spalted in those various ways.

I took mine to band practice last night in place of my spruce hollow body just to show it off (one band mate had never seen spalting), and it is completely a different beast. No true overlap in sounds (which I expected).

I played some more after lunch today, and got some nice growly crunchy sounds. I then played my Akerfeldt, another SE SC, and that sounded different yet again, obviously due to the different neck, fingerboard, bridge, pups, and being a solid body. Yeah, the overall sound is similar ("distorted electric guitar with humbuckers"), but I love the differences!

So I'm considering putting pickup covers on mine. I am happy so far with the stock pups, and I figure covers is a cheap way to change the look a bit, and hopefully not deaden the tone, etc.

I've done a quick cut-and-paste (using covered pups I stole from some other random image I found on the web of a PRS with cream pup rings and a similar perspective) to see if I would like the look:

ZMSpaltedwandwopupcovers50_zpscdb26166.jpg

I wasn't sure whether the spalted maple would look better or not. The "stock" Trampas green certainly looks good with covered pickups. Anyway, I think it looks good.

From a couple of websites and Youtube videos, I think I can handle a simple double-sided tape and solder install.

Or I might bite the bullet and buy some covered pups and install them. Nothing I'm going to do in the short term either way - too dang busy, but maybe before the new year...

Comments? Ideas? Recommendations either for or against a certain type of pickup? I would consider \m/ pickups, but I can't justify to myself investing ~$300 when I quite like the current pickups anyway.

btw, I thought about opening up a new thread for this, but I figure ZM owners are very likely to look here, and this kinda adds to the ZM-specific database, along with the piezo install and similar mods...

That covered pu´s look great on your guitar. Go for it. I´m also planning on changing the hs logo... sorry zach myers, whoever you are.

pd: your quick cut and paste for sure looks damn better than mine :rofl:

white pu rings, dimarzio 36th nickel covered and modern eagle hs inlay

dcd34l.jpg

The tampas green ones often look in the pics as if the two halves of the maple top don't match. Is this a trick of the light and photo, or is there an issue with mismatched tops? I really want one of these but the tops look sketchy.

Back