The "Show Off Your ZM" Thread

Finally meet my ZM!!

I played it a couple hours this morning trough my rig and is a very nice sounding guitar. Just like my Santana.

With the stocks 009´s the action was super low (a bit to much to my taste)... I had a hard time doing bends due to the other strings getting under my fingers (not sure I´m making sense here)

I changed to 10´s and found it way better... it sounds better too... fuller and louder. My santana is easier to play but by no means this make the ZM a "hard" guitar ... I guess the tremolo do its part.

To be honest I cant tell the difference with the F hole, but if it was only for looks I would still prefer it. The guitar looks amazing.

The sanded neck is nice, but I dont notice much of a differnce tbh (I was expecting a much different feel).

The guitar is well builded and finished. The tuners "feel" delicate but it can be that I´m no very familiar with this type of vintage tuners. However I love how they look and the guitar stays in tune.

I had the nut changed from Corey at Brian Guitars and it was a good done job. But the nut is thiner than original so it leaves maybe 1mm of unfinished space where the old one was.

So here are some pics:

aad5sg.jpg

2ujsbgo.jpg

mtp4dk.jpg

c6jwg.jpg

Very nice!
I get mine out about every weekend plus a few others.

Thanks Corey.

It performed great yesterday on rehearsal. Everyone was astonished with how the guitar looked. It really is a beautiful axe.

At loud rehearsal volume I found it a bit noisier than my Santana (wich is quite silent)... but thats maybe because the bridge pu is closer to strings.. I may have to lower it a bit.

Very confused with the knob disposal!!!! why in hell are this not in the same configuration than a LP? I guess I´ll see if I can get used to it or I will re do the wiring.

after 3 hours of standing rehearsal I was in great shape... very comfy guitar and the weigh is just perfect for me ( i don like heavy axes)... much more comfortable than a LP for playing (weight wise and ergonomically)... i really like the dunlop strap i bough for the ZM... is wider than my satriani´s and very comfortable... a little stiffness is the only bad thing about it.

True Story :
I have in the past owned an American SC250 and a SE Tremonti, loved them both. Now own a SE24 and really like it as well. I was in the market for new guitar when a friend turned me on to the new 2014 ZM. Looks like everything I would want in a guitar. I join the forum, and start to do some research to find out everyone loves them !! But, as we all know, they are back ordered until late July or August. So, knowing I will be waiting I call my guy at GC, he calls PRS, calls me back and says yes he can order me one but I won't get it until August. So this past Monday I call credit card in hand to order, keep in mind my guy tells me 20% off and shipped to my address saving me tax $$ also, so around $575 !! Great deal I know! Anyway, he's busy and needs to call me back. In the meantime, I just happen to be checking FB and a shop I never heard of posts a picture with three PRS SE's standing up in a case. The caption says "buy a PRS SE and get a hard case for free, $95 value". In that picture is a 2014 ZM !! So I call, ask "do you have that guitar in your store?" They say "yes". I ask "how did you get it, and how long have you had it?" They tell me they are a new PRS dealer and was supposed to get it in January and it just showed up last week. Needless to say I bought it. $650 shipped after tax. Got it Fed Ex yesterday, pics to come soon. Happy Dance !!!

Thanks Corey.

It performed great yesterday on rehearsal. Everyone was astonished with how the guitar looked. It really is a beautiful axe.

At loud rehearsal volume I found it a bit noisier than my Santana (wich is quite silent)... but thats maybe because the bridge pu is closer to strings.. I may have to lower it a bit.

Very confused with the knob disposal!!!! why in hell are this not in the same configuration than a LP? I guess I´ll see if I can get used to it or I will re do the wiring.

after 3 hours of standing rehearsal I was in great shape... very comfy guitar and the weigh is just perfect for me ( i don like heavy axes)... much more comfortable than a LP for playing (weight wise and ergonomically)... i really like the dunlop strap i bough for the ZM... is wider than my satriani´s and very comfortable... a little stiffness is the only bad thing about it.

Took me awhile to get used to the knob configuration too. I was expecting the "standard" LP layout. Are all PRS w/ 2 vol and 2 tone in that same configuration?

Just looked at this guitar on the Sweetwater website. Shows 2 tops more coming. Yellow salted maple and natural quilt. No pictures yet though.

Didn't see this thread before starting another one...oops
This is my ZM with a few mods

Ian

Hi Ian,

Can you tell us a little bit about the mods you did? I am especially interested in your tuners. I'm not a fan of the non-locking or the vintage style tuners. What model did you go with and did you have to change the diameter of the post holes or just tap new holes for the small screws that hold the tuners down so they don't twist?

I´m loving the guitar... but wth is wrong with the bridge studs? I´ve barely played the guitar and have been VERY careful to clean it after playing... the upper stud (the one you rest your palm on) has lost its bright and I think it will rust bad in the near future...

I´ve used my traditional metal cleaner (gibson) and a gorgomyte cloth with zero improvement... the thing is ruined

I´m loving the guitar... but wth is wrong with the bridge studs? I´ve barely played the guitar and have been VERY careful to clean it after playing... the upper stud (the one you rest your palm on) has lost its bright and I think it will rust bad in the near future...

I´ve used my traditional metal cleaner (gibson) and a gorgomyte cloth with zero improvement... the thing is ruined

The SE studs are nickel plated (I believe) and sometimes a player's sweat can be pretty tough on the plating. And rarely the plating job isn't that great to start with. Snap a pic of the stud and your receipt and email it to PRS Customer Service, they might hook you up with a new one. Otherwise, the Tonepros locking studs are mighty nice!

I got my ZM's back from getting setup, it plays a lot better now, it doesnt sound out of tune and wobbly anymore.
Still not a fan of the pick ups .. but now with 11-52's its a might tigher guitar.

Somone liked my ZM's instagram picture, not a fan of the band but neat that he saw it.
Sorry for such a big picture

DE3n4Whn

Hi Ian,

Can you tell us a little bit about the mods you did? I am especially interested in your tuners. I'm not a fan of the non-locking or the vintage style tuners. What model did you go with and did you have to change the diameter of the post holes or just tap new holes for the small screws that hold the tuners down so they don't twist?

The mods are:
Phase II tuners, got them from UK ebay. Yes I had to take a drill to the headstock and the screw holes are in different positions.
Bareknuckle Mississippi P90's and black pup rings.
Tuner knobs and control knobs from Crazy Parts in Germany (both ebony and bird inlay on the control knobs)
Single Vol and single push/pull tone pots. The push/pull reverses the wiring to the treble pickup which gives a different sound when both pick-ups are on together (much thinner but useable)
Straploks (of course)
Walnut veneer for the headstock from a local UK supplier (£2.5), this was oiled and waxed using the same oil Mesa Boogie used to use on their hardwood cabinets.
Trust rod cover image is the original Zach Myers logo over a photo of the body (to match the colour): this was printed and stuck on a couple of Starbucks loyalty cards.
I still have to deal with the holes left by the second set of controls, not sure exactly what to do with them
Ian

The mods are:
Phase II tuners, got them from UK ebay. Yes I had to take a drill to the headstock and the screw holes are in different positions.
Bareknuckle Mississippi P90's and black pup rings.
Tuner knobs and control knobs from Crazy Parts in Germany (both ebony and bird inlay on the control knobs)
Single Vol and single push/pull tone pots. The push/pull reverses the wiring to the treble pickup which gives a different sound when both pick-ups are on together (much thinner but useable)
Straploks (of course)
Walnut veneer for the headstock from a local UK supplier (£2.5), this was oiled and waxed using the same oil Mesa Boogie used to use on their hardwood cabinets.
Trust rod cover image is the original Zach Myers logo over a photo of the body (to match the colour): this was printed and stuck on a couple of Starbucks loyalty cards.
I still have to deal with the holes left by the second set of controls, not sure exactly what to do with them
Ian

Very cool. I had to go back and look at your pic because there were details I missed until you pointed them out. lol

As far as those holes go for the tuners then general idea (as I understand it) is to find dowel rods or a pieces of wood or other material that will fit in the hole or to make the hole big enough to fit the material and then you cut it flush or sand it flat and apply some finish to it. Hopefully you can color match the material pretty closely.

Back