The Seductiveness of Tube Amps

I've had the Custom 50 for a few weeks now. I love it!

It's a much richer, more vibrant sound than I've ever gotten out of my modelers. More harmonics and more responsive to how I pluck the strings. A part of that is surely my lack of skill in dialing in my Helix, though I did play a bit with running the Helix through the amp's return the other day and that sounded quite a bit better than the Helix sounds through my PowerCab Plus. The PowerCab is going on the market pretty soon. I'll likely keep the Helix for a bit, as I play around with the effects. Simpler and cheaper than building up a pedal board.

I really like the sound of the amp through my Katana Artist's speaker. I'm just using the Katana as a cab at the moment, running the amp straight to the speaker. The Waza speaker sounds quite wonderful to me. The master volumes on the amp are quite effective. No real complaints about the volume from my wife, and it's been fun to crank it up a bit when I've got the house to myself. My wife is going to be working from home permanently in another week, which'll keep me from cutting out of work early to play louder.

That's got me thinking about what kind of cab I'd like to get. There's a Boss Waza 4x12 cab for sale locally that's tempting me, but I think I'll hold off a bit. That thing will likely sit at the local MusicGoRound for quite a while.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks, I think I'll go visit Dave's in La Crosse. They've got a good selection of cabs, and I'll try some out. A 4x10 or 4x12 might be fun to try. I've got plenty of space for one. It'd be something new for me. I'd like to try out some different types of speakers and see which grabs me.

I've had the Custom 50 for a few weeks now. I love it!

It's a much richer, more vibrant sound than I've ever gotten out of my modelers. More harmonics and more responsive to how I pluck the strings. A part of that is surely my lack of skill in dialing in my Helix, though I did play a bit with running the Helix through the amp's return the other day and that sounded quite a bit better than the Helix sounds through my PowerCab Plus. The PowerCab is going on the market pretty soon. I'll likely keep the Helix for a bit, as I play around with the effects. Simpler and cheaper than building up a pedal board.

I really like the sound of the amp through my Katana Artist's speaker. I'm just using the Katana as a cab at the moment, running the amp straight to the speaker. The Waza speaker sounds quite wonderful to me. The master volumes on the amp are quite effective. No real complaints about the volume from my wife, and it's been fun to crank it up a bit when I've got the house to myself. My wife is going to be working from home permanently in another week, which'll keep me from cutting out of work early to play louder.

That's got me thinking about what kind of cab I'd like to get. There's a Boss Waza 4x12 cab for sale locally that's tempting me, but I think I'll hold off a bit. That thing will likely sit at the local MusicGoRound for quite a while.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks, I think I'll go visit Dave's in La Crosse. They've got a good selection of cabs, and I'll try some out. A 4x10 or 4x12 might be fun to try. I've got plenty of space for one. It'd be something new for me. I'd like to try out some different types of speakers and see which grabs me.
You probably already know this: if you're buying a new cab, take your amp with you. You just never know what will truly work otherwise.

You probably already know this: if you're buying a new cab, take your amp with you. You just never know what will truly work otherwise.

I did that today with the Boss Waza cab. Really liked it and ended up taking it home. Kind of ridiculous to have a 4x12 in the basement, but I’ve got a good spot for it. It sounds like a fuller version of the combo I’ve been playing through, which I’ve enjoyed a lot.

We’ll see how it sounds at home a bit later tonight. :)

I ended up ordering the Custom 50 today. Paid $750 plus tax/shipping. I think it should be a lot of fun!

I have to admit, it's a bit intellectually-dishonest on my part to think that this is going to lead to more playing guitar instead of playing with my Helix. I'll find all sorts of ways to geek-out with this thing.
I know what you mean.

Back