The Sade Thread.

Let's not forget about one of the most iconic cars of all time, the Mercury Grand Marquis de sade

mercury.jpg

Totally off topic, so I apologize for derailing this thread.

Nile Rodgers recently released this demo of Bowie's Let's Dance. He said David Bowie woke him to play the song for him on an acoustic guitar, believing it would be a hit. Later they recorded a demo of the song. According to Rodgers, this was the first time he played the song with a plugged-in electric guitar, so his shout around the 12 second mark was a spontaneous reaction to how funky it was sounding.

Disclaimer...useless music factoid ahead...

I double and triple checked, the lead guitar on Let's Dance and China Girl were both performed by a relatively unknown at the time, Stevie Ray Vaughan...He was set to begin Bowies World Tour and backed out at literally the last minute. He and his manager at the time decided it wouldn't be the best move for SRV's career and would hinder promotion of his Texas Flood album, that was about to be released. Stevies manager actually pulled his gear off the tour bus just before it left! Some called career suicide for SRV...guess he showed them...huh...so there's my useless music factoid for the day...

OK back to the lovely Sade..sorry for acting like Casey Jones on your thread Sergio...my bad...A thousand pardons bro...:(

Last edited:
This is one of the best tunes. The straty-ness is soooo good! I especially love the plinky lick at 1:02.

This tune is all about why I like her music, simple, but sophisticated at the same time. Just 2 chords (without any extensions) in the whole song and guitar and bass parts have lots of spunk and funk! While it's not done on the song, a very tasty "every note counts" type guitar or keyboard solo could be easily inserted.

I'll play along!

A couple of years ago I made a loop out of the song. I put the bass line down 1st, then I put in the keyboard part playing a Roland GR55. I used the loop to learn how to solo in key of Fm. This song itself is just awesome.

For some reason, it also reminds me of a part of the intro music to the TV show "The Sopranos" (I know, I am "nuts")

:oops::oops: Sorry, just having fun. I don't think I have a Dream Theater thread but I can start one if you need me too. Or Winger. :D

And besides, Nancy Wilson makes ANY thread better! (especially with pics!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back