The Sade Thread.

sergiodeblanc

Between Huggy B, CVS, Les, and myself, I think we totally have enough people to warrant a full-on Sade thread. Am I right?

Unlike the Slayer Sunday thread, this one is open to every day of the week for posting. It might burn out quicker this way but... let's go for it anyway.

Who wants to go first?

Last edited:
I'll play along!

A classic! It's amazing, I listen to that song and I know the drum machine they used. Those congas sound so bad on every other song it's used on but.. for some reason, they don't bother me here. Sade has the ability to make everything around her sound better.

(subscribes)

I always thought Diamond Life and Promise were a fantastic debut and sophomore album pair, but I am less familiar with anything more recent than that.

I kinda gave up at Lovers Rock and have really gotten back into her/them lately. Soldier of Love has some really great songs on it.

Stuart Matthewman deserves some credit for his playing and production - he plays guitar/saxophone/and more on all of her albums. And co-wrote many of her songs. The guitar work on all her songs is so sweet and crisp.

And yes, the dress!

Last edited:
A few years ago, I played for a bit with a drummer who was a RABID Sade fan. It was a peculiar situation. I mainly just entertained his efforts to get me to listen. I'll have to go back and give them another go.

The one important thing I remember is they are indeed a band. That gave the music a little cred in my mind.

Some voices just connect with the mysterious. Her voice takes you somewhere you always wanted to go, you just didn't know it until she started singing. And yes, half of it was Matthewman.

Well put. I’m just a sucker for female singers with that low contralto range. (Sade, Billie, Nina, Amy, Stevie, Sarah, Etta, Susan, Beth...the list goes on and on......)

Back