The S2 Studio is amazing

They didn't do a production run of them for 2019 so it truly is "Limited Edition". I thought they would with all the hype about them. Still would like to know how many were made.

I got mine a month or so ago and I am so blown away by how good it sounds and plays. I found a deal on a “used” one on Reverb, but it’s a 2018 and looks just like new. I just swapped on some smaller black tuner buttons and it looks perfect now (Antique White finish). Absolutely killer guitar especially for the money. Someone apparently didn’t bond with it, but it’s a definite keeper for me.

Just curious -- I have a question for the fellow S2 Studio owners out there:

What pickup heights are you using? I'm haven't touched the height adjustment since I bought mine, but the bridge volume overwhelms the D-type pickups on mine. I guess I'm looking for a sanity-check before I start monkeying around.

I just go by sound and balance, can't remember ever actually measuring. You could raise the single coils, or lower the bridge to balance the outputs. I typically have the bass side of a neck pup lower than the treble side, to balance that pup. It's all tweakable to taste, have at it.

Just curious -- I have a question for the fellow S2 Studio owners out there:

What pickup heights are you using? I'm haven't touched the height adjustment since I bought mine, but the bridge volume overwhelms the D-type pickups on mine. I guess I'm looking for a sanity-check before I start monkeying around.

I did lower the bridge PU but only on the treble side to even out the volume. Very minor adjustment and it's now perfect

Question for you S2 studio owners. When you put the pick up selector in the middle position and you pull out the tone knob, what pick up or pick ups are being engaged? The PRS web site is not clear on this, at least in my opinion.
I am thinking it is just the middle D single coil pick up, but would like confirmation.

Question for you S2 studio owners. When you put the pick up selector in the middle position and you pull out the tone knob, what pick up or pick ups are being engaged? The PRS web site is not clear on this, at least in my opinion.
I am thinking it is just the middle D single coil pick up, but would like confirmation.
I don't have one, but I thought that position was neck and bridge, with bridge tapped?

Yes, neck/bridge in middle switch position. Pulling up on the tone knob splits the bridge pup.

Pos 1 Bridge
Pos 2 Bridge/middle
Pos 3 Bridge/neck
Pos 4 Neck/middle
Pos 5 Neck

So, positions 1, 2 and 3, with push/pull pot down is with full bridge, and push/pull pot up is split bridge.

Last edited:
Yes, neck/bridge in middle switch position. Pulling up on the tone knob splits the bridge pup.

Pos 1 Bridge
Pos 2 Bridge/middle
Pos 3 Bridge/neck
Pos 4 Neck/middle
Pos 5 Neck

So, positions 1, 2 and 3, with push/pull pot down is with full bridge, and push/pull pot up is split bridge.
Thank you. I wonder why they decided not to use the middle pick up only for position 3 ?? I like how this position sounds as is, but I am still curious.

I read that they just wanted to do something different than the typical switching, as the middle pup by itself wasn't anyone's favorite. You're right, the middle position, with the pot pulled out, sounds very Tele-like, and it is my favorite position on this guitar, whether split or full bridge.

Ok, I finally played one. It’s around my neck right now. It’s not a strat, it is it’s own thing. And I swear, it followed me home!
Congrats - Agree with you that it is not a Strat, but it does sound like a single coil guitar when in that mode, especially the neck, & neck and middle settings . Middle position reminds me more of a Tele when in single coil mode. A great bang for $

Ok, I finally played one. It’s around my neck right now. It’s not a strat, it is it’s own thing. And I swear, it followed me home!
tell us more... you lucky dog! I keep looking... I think the same could happen with me, but I just can’t find one to try.

tell us more... you lucky dog! I keep looking... I think the same could happen with me, but I just can’t find one to try.
All of a sudden, I got an unexpected performance bonus from work. It was enough to pay for the Studio.There was only one left at Washington Music Center, which is near me. It happened to be metallic blue, and my mantra is that blue guitars sound better. Besides, I love blue PRSi. I've listened to all available youtube videos repeatedly. I'm an S2 fan, so this fell out of the sky as far as I'm concerned. The neck pickup is from the gods. It has all the clarity that you would expect from a D type, and is incredibly even. Once I dropped the bass side, the sonic balance is very, very nice. The 2nd position has nice quack, but without the brittle tendencies that I hear from single coil pickups. It is not an F guitar. The middle position has great clarity with the humbucking mode.The sound is more full than I expected. When you hit the coil tap, you are indeed in Tele territory. I understand why people are so fond of the Vela(caster) now. Position 4 is also quacky, but once again, not brittle.The Bridge pickup is very vintage sounding. I used it for a couple of solos at a Blues open mike. It had the bite, but again with no harshness. I like the F sound for rhythm, and a humbucker sound for solos, so this ticks all the boxes. I think the mahogany body/neck combination, with the pick guard cavity give it a very distinct sound. It's not like any other PRS. If you can get your hands on one to try, do it. I'm only 3 gigs into the guitar, but it's a keeper, knowing that it has its own sound. The pattern regular neck is a no brainer. I already have an EG II, an SE EG, and a Swamp Ash. PRS does the 3 pickup thing much better than I ever expected.

Last edited:
Back