The risks of buying old guitars...

Black Plaid

Other Alan!
I got a set of SonoTone pure nickel strings as I thought they would work well with the RPs and Braz neck on my ME1, and well, they do! (thanks Les!)

I realized they seem to have a smidge more tension than the strings that were on there, so I went to adjust the truss rod.

When taking it off, I realized it was a 20th Anniversary aluminum one installed upside down as to hide the fact that the original had been removed/lost.

Literally. Unplayable. May as well be firewood now!

So, beware of unscrupulous sellers out there!

I mean, it's an '05, so technically it *is* a 20th anniversary, but still!

What kind of TRC do you expect? Here's the Modern Eagle sheet from the 2005 retail price list showing an embossed "20th" TRC.

full

Last edited:
I got a set of SonoTone pure nickel strings as I thought they would work well with the RPs and Braz neck on my ME1, and well, they do! (thanks Les!)

I realized they seem to have a smidge more tension than the strings that were on there, so I went to adjust the truss rod.

When taking it off, I realized it was a 20th Anniversary aluminum one installed upside down as to hide the fact that the original had been removed/lost.

Literally. Unplayable. May as well be firewood now!

So, beware of unscrupulous sellers out there!

I mean, it's an '05, so technically it *is* a 20th anniversary, but still!
Told ya to go with the SCT version! :p:D

What kind of TRC do you expect? Here's the Modern Eagle sheet from the 2005 retail price list showing an embossed "20th" TRC.

full
Oh!!

Super interesting.

Every example I've seen of an ME 1 online has had a rosewood looking TRC. That it was installed upside-down and the 20th on my CU 22 20th has a white fill, which the ME does not made me think it was nefarious.

Other owners of ME, can you tell me what yours look like?

Back