The relevance of PRS in Maryland

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
Being a Marylander, PRS is very relevant around here. People will tell you that they have family or know people who work there. He was born about 15 minutes away in Bowie, went to Bowie high school and then a half hour away, he started above rams head building guitars. People around Paul's age that I know just casually drop in, "Oh I went to school with Paul" or "My nephew works there" and stuff like that. It annoys me! I am trying to get connections with PRS and one day hope to work there. Heck Paul lives in Annapolis as well. Paul also does a lot of stuff with the Maryland hall of music and is currently working with one of my favorite youtubers, music is win and also has digital harmonics, which is such a cool company with his son. When I met Paul, I was kinda shell shocked because I'm meeting this genius and he just comes up to me and starts casually talking to me. I met him at a release event for the Chessie fade private stock release for Bay Tunes guitars in edgewater. It's crazy how humble he is, to me. A head of a multi million dollar company, I think 56 million to be exact, will just talk like regular joe. When he was doing a QnA I asked if the company ever considered a pedal line or SE solid state amp line and we talked and then he said I have a bright future ahead of me. That really inspired me. He then signed my PRS hat and I've been in love with PRS guitars since.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree that people are naturally drawn to a home town's favorite son, or they favor the home team in the absence of any other logical reason for liking them. People often embrace a "buy local" attitude. I've seen this first hand in the many people I know from Michigan who naturally gravitate toward the local Kalamazoo brand "Heritage Guitars". I totally get all that. But at some point, some choosy people will rise above that mentality and demand the best regardless of where it comes from. I'm not exactly a big fan of Maryland. There is a lot I like as well as a lot I don't like. A love/hate relationship at best. But what PRS is doing to build great guitars is FANTASTIC! I'm not a fan of PRS guitars because they are from Maryland, I'm a fan because they are the best guitars on the market.

As for PRSh, truly a brilliant guy. Not just in his guitar building efforts but also with his medical and imaging technology inventions and patents. His ambition and drive really impresses the hell out of me. Oh that I were that driven to be that productive... how much happier I would be with myself.

As a Marylander, hangar18, I’d like to let you know I represent that remark. While the quality of the product is what drove me to PRS, I get a thrill every time I drive to a gig in Baltimore and see the custom 24 above the Hard Rock Cafe lit up. Baltimore has seen better days, but the people there are first rate. They always speak with pride about PRS. Because it’s a manufacturing city, a lot of employees have come from there.

I’d hoped to meet Paul at Experience 2020, my first trip to the Mothership. Of course, that suffered the same fate as all of the live gigs booked this year. Maybe next year. I’d love to have Paul and Doug Sewell sign the back cover of my HX/DA, officially making it a PRS/DS/HX/DA.

Paul did for Stevensville what Gibson did for Kalamazoo back in the day; taking an unknown city and putting it on the “Musician Map” of places great things happen. It’s a great story.

While the quality of the product is what drove me to PRS, I get a thrill every time I drive to a gig in Baltimore and see the custom 24 above the Hard Rock Cafe lit up.

PSSSST. (Whispers in ear quietly) McCarty.

Seriousy, I visited 33 West St in the old days. Just Paul and Orkie then. Doing repairs on my old Strat. Paul would be in the corner handshaping a body in his lap. He had no interest in repairs, but necessary to stay afloat. Orkie rewound a pickup for me on one visit. I had no interest in placing an order at the time. Another life regret in hindsight!!

I've had dinner at Paul's house.
Lucky, he's not super open about his family life but I think he has two sons. He is definitely a family man if I have ever seen one. He's also super humble. I met Paul at a release event in edgewater and he was such a cool and down to earth and humble guy.

Last edited:
PSSSST. (Whispers in ear quietly) McCarty.

Seriousy, I visited 33 West St in the old days. Just Paul and Orkie then. Doing repairs on my old Strat. Paul would be in the corner handshaping a body in his lap. He had no interest in repairs, but necessary to stay afloat. Orkie rewound a pickup for me on one visit. I had no interest in placing an order at the time. Another life regret in hindsight!!
Every time I go down town and pass rams head, I just gaze up at the windows, knowing that one of my biggest inspirations started there.

I’d hoped to meet Paul at Experience 2020, my first trip to the Mothership. Of course, that suffered the same fate as all of the live gigs booked this year. Maybe next year. I’d love to have Paul and Doug Sewell sign the back cover of my HX/DA, officially making it a PRS/DS/HX/DA.

Paul did for Stevensville what Gibson did for Kalamazoo back in the day; taking an unknown city and putting it on the “Musician Map” of places great things happen. It’s a great story.
I hoped I could have kept talking with him there as well. I signed up for the PRS club and everything, and I wanted to get my piece of scrap curly maple :mad:

There’s always next year! I am planning on a 2021 retry.
I'm gonna go because I haven't actually played a real custom 24, just the SE, S2 i think and the Core. Plus I just want to try and get some connections there as well.

Damn, I feel more than fortunate. I've shared scotch with Paul, had personal guitar/amp instruction tips from the people who've designed and built them, and have shared time at the experience events with nearly all of the top tier artists and endorsers. I'm just a regular guy. No talent or fame.

Damn, I feel more than fortunate. I've shared scotch with Paul, had personal guitar/amp instruction tips from the people who've designed and built them, and have shared time at the experience events with nearly all of the top tier artists and endorsers. I'm just a regular guy. No talent or fame.
Dang you must have good connections! I met Paul once and he's very cheeky, he's able to get down to a human level with you, when I met him he noticed my shirt (the graveyard series shirt) and he said this kid has good style and I also pointed to my hat and he said "I like this kid" and its just he's such a great guy

Back