The Re-Issued McCarty

My MC58 has an "Artist grade" top which I believe was standard on the model. That being said it is 110% subjective (as Les says). As a matter of fact, although I LOVE my MC58 I've seen flames on 10tops that appeal to me more. My artist grade has a very tight consistent pattern and is clean throughout. Given my druthers I'd like a wider less consistent pattern with more "movement" and irregularity in it. Still love my top it's just that I can appreciate and acknowledge the beauty of others...kinda like passing a pretty girl when you're walking with your wife ::: Ducks to avoid frying pan::::

You took the words out of my mouth

Except that I actually prefer the vintage tuners. Not sure why but I do.

I saw Gibson with Klusons back in "75 that had yellowed and cracked. That was the day I swore never to have them on any guitar.

I relented with a McRosie.

Because they don't always make good decisions...

Look, can we give this a rest? They make guitars, I buy guitars - it's not their fault I've bought PRS guitars! Let's stop beating them up over it! It really wasn't THEIR decision! :goodnight:

Very cool. Basically the guitar that Grissom helped design, along with PRSh and Ted McCarty, but now with new finish, pickups,full color line, and newer tuners! GAS time

This

I had a McCarty that I dropped DGT pickups in (and foolishly sold) several years ago. One of the best PRS models IMO, and now with P III tuners, best of all worlds.

Got mine ordered under the special "custom order" promotion they got going on this month. Ebony board and veneer with \m/ pups. Can't wait.

I think they like to "rest" models occasionally - let the dealers get rid of their inventory and then launch a reboot. The CU22 had a similar story a few years ago...

Of all the replies put forth to this question, I think this makes the most sense to me. Harley-Davidson does that too with some of their models for the same reason.

Of all the replies put forth to this question, I think this makes the most sense to me. Harley-Davidson does that too with some of their models for the same reason.

Maybe. But it's just as likely that sales start to sag for a product, and they pull production for that reason, but then later on, demand for its return builds up. So they reissue it.

In some ways, with the bound fretboard and the 58/15 pickups, it's a slightly different guitar than the original McCarty anyway. So it's not really a 100% reissue.

Last edited:
Maybe. But it's just as likely that sales start to sag for a product, and they pull production for that reason, but then later on, demand for its return builds up. So they reissue it.

In some ways, with the bound fretboard and the 58/15 pickups, it's a slightly different guitar than the original McCarty anyway. So it's not really a 100% reissue.

I see the the new mccarty as the working mans Modern Eagle Quatro, especially with the rosewood neck upgrade you get for free this month. On the CNC machines there were notes to use the modern eagle program to cut the wood for them. Not sure what all is different between them other than pups and truss Rod cover. Even the neck inlays look the same.

... which is why I used the word 'reboot' in my post rather than 'reissue'. ;) It's not a bad thing at all though!

Really glad to see the McCarty back in production. It's such a classic.

I always viewed it as the backbone and the starting point of the core PRS line-up: Welcome to PRS, here's what we sound, play, and look like. I'd recommend anyone who is new to PRS to begin with a McCarty.

=K

Not sure if anyone else posted this link, but here's the PRS demo of the model. I think it sounds great.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just a great sounding guitar!

Right on!

Great 'bucker tones, great coil splits. What's not to like?

I did notice that on the 'bucker demos the amp should maybe have had the Master volume set a little higher; as an HXDA owner I think it records a quite a bit more buttery with the master up a little, though sitting as close as he was to that cab with a 100 watt version of the head, Ewald probably might have gone deaf...

But what the heck, all in the service of tone, right? ;)

Last edited:
What is this custom order promotion that everyone is talking about? Any links? Thanks

Back