The PRS Strat

P90s

Lots of buzz about the PRS S style guitar that John Mayer premiered on tour...with or without permission. Then things died down. Any theories about when/if it might be released?

Color me excited.

My buddy and I both agree that it'll be on our list, if the price is reasonably close to a new CE, etc... Love a strat tone, but hard to consistently find them with good thin finishes and resonant woods.

Color me excited.

My buddy and I both agree that it'll be on our list, if the price is reasonably close to a new CE, etc... Love a strat tone, but hard to consistently find them with good thin finishes and resonant woods.
I was told a few months ago that the guitar is coming but he wouldn't say when. I asked about pricing and all he said was sub-core pricing.

Dangit! I just got a Cutlass a couple months ago! Oh well. CE-ish price and I'm all over this. White/white/white maple board please! (Because even a PRS "strat-ish" guitar needs to honor the Jimi at Woodstock/Trower Live all white strat tradition! AMEN)

I might add. PRS has tried this before, and by their standards, failed. (Even though many love the guitars). My OPINION here, is that while you always hear “people who want a Strat want a Fender” that is obviously not correct, judging by the success of Suhr, Anderson and others.

We all know the PRS guitar plays better. But true “high end strat” players seem to have already found “their” pickups and in my humble opinion, if PRS comes out with one that pretty much no different than what they already have, but makes a standard pickguard that accepts standard strat pickups.... well, the sky is the limit. These guys, if they haven’t found “the” pickups for them, want the ability to easily swap all the high end choices. I’ve heard more than one person down the NF3 for the same reason. “Can’t try other pickups!” The NF pickups are some of the greatest EVER! But for some guys, if it’s not “their” pickups, and exactly what they want, they don’t care about the rest. I DO. I want a PRS that sounds like a great strat, but PLAYS and FEELS like a PRS. And can take any standard strat pickups out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might add. PRS has tried this before, and by their standards, failed. (Even though many love the guitars). My OPINION here, is that while you always hear “people who want a Strat want a Fender” that is obviously not correct, judging by the success of Suhr, Anderson and others.

We all know the PRS guitar plays better. But true “high end strat” players seem to have already found “their” pickups and the in my humble opinion, if PRS comes out with one that pretty much no different than what they already have, but makes a standard pickguard that accepts standard strat pickups.... well, the sky is the limit. These guys, if they haven’t found “the” pickups for them, want the ability to easily swap all the high end choices. I’ve heard more than one person down the NF3 for the same reason. “Can’t try other pickups!” The NF pickups are some of the greatest EVER! But for some guys, if it’s not “their” pickups, and exactly what they want, they don’t care about the rest. I DO. I want a PRS that sounds like a great strat, but PLAYS and FEELS like a PRS. And can take any standard strat pickups out there.

Agreed. The DC3 is/was a great guitar, but the pickups and price may have scared people off (I know they initially did to me). Then there's also the mindf@ck that some people need to be told or see that something is okay from somebody else before they accept it for themselves... I'm sure John will be able to do that for a whole swath of folks.

Credit card ready...CHECK!
New wall space cleared...CHECK!
David Gilmour T-shirt on...CHECK!
Self defense course to fight off raging redhead I'm married to when she sees the first 3 checked off...uh uh, can't check that one...nope not even close.

Back