The PRS knob conundrum

The amber knob mole hill or mountain?

• Shop locally (waste gas) with the knob in hand to match color & design.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Huggy Love

Vintage member
So I get a wild hair up my....... ... and get the idea that my HB sglcut looks a little drab with its black PU rings & knobs, so I pull out my creme rings and amber knobs out of my gtr toolbox and low & behold, when I lay them on top of the black stuff to see what it looks like, it looks like a PRS again. I'm pleased until I realize that the PRS core the knobs came from only had two and my sglcut has three, so I go on the web to surf "core" PRS amber knobs and the selection is sketchy to say the least. A lot of SE knobs that I'm not sure are going to match colorwise or shaft diameter, etc., you know the pitfalls of something as simple as this that can become a headache.

Any words of wisdom before I go chasing my tail?

(Below example SE version, looks slightly darker than mine)

8RE6a2N.jpg

So I get a wild hair up my....... ... and get the idea that my HB sglcut looks a little drab with its black PU rings & knobs, so I pull out my creme rings and amber knobs out of my gtr toolbox and low & behold, when I lay them on top of the black stuff to see what it looks like, it looks like a PRS again. I'm pleased until I realize that the PRS core the knobs came from only had two and my sglcut has three, so I go on the web to surf "core" PRS amber knobs and the selection is sketchy to say the least. A lot of SE knobs that I'm not sure are going to match colorwise or shaft diameter, etc., you know the pitfalls of something as simple as this that can become a headache.

Any words of wisdom before I go chasing my tail?

(Below example SE version, looks slightly darker than mine)

8RE6a2N.jpg

You need to just throw the whole fuckin guitar away, and get a new one, bro. Seriously.

I would just buy a set of 3 matching ones and keep the stock knobs on hand

I realized I don't like the cylinder style knobs and go for the more Strat-like-hat types. I also replaced the white pickup rings. I got these on ebay. switch tip is a bit of brass I found that fit. I bought this guitar used with a neck-to-body joint broken and other heavy gig-damage and brought it back to playing condition (steamed off the neck to repair and re-glue).

img_20180629_083238.jpg

Like this set of ten for under $8 shipped.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Amber-B...831034?hash=item234533153a:g:pOoAAOSwQJhUbv8y

I voted new guitar, because... yeah.

But really, I’d buy some amber lampshades anyway. Unless you don’t like them, and then in that case I’d wait for me to buy a set for my second Westie and then con me into mailing you the old speed knobs.

Back