The Private Stock Experience

Sage

While you were partying I studied the guitar.
I finally did it, I finally made the trek to Maryland to tour the PRS factory and select tonewoods for a Private Stock build. Since I have family in the area I scheduled a few days to visit with them, but yesterday I headed out to Stevensville and had an incredible experience.

I contacted Brian's Guitars a few months ago to get the ball rolling, and Brian and his sales manager Graham set up the meeting with Tina, Paul Miles, and the rest of the crew, and they met myself and another customer at PRS headquarters. Wood selection came first, and with Brian and Paul's help I was able to find exactly what I came looking for.

37849553965_b1d7478290_c.jpg

This will eventually become a Custom 24 Semi-Hollow with a wide-thin neck, stoptail, single f-hole, and an arched maple top *and* back. The tonewoods are not particularly exotic, but they are definitely top shelf; at the upper left is a Peruvian "sinker" mahogany neck blank, selected with the assistance of Paul Miles, who showed me what to look for. To the right of that is an ebony fretboard blank, the darkest and most uniform I could find, in order to provide ultimate contrast with MOP J-birds with Paua centers.

Arranged below the neck pieces are the lightest-colored piece of African mahogany I could find (in order to better take stain/toner on the sides of the guitar to match the top), an ebony headstock overlay (which actually had some subtle figuring which doesn't really come through in the above photo), then this 2-piece quilted maple top, which Brian discovered and I instantly fell in love with:

26960762279_9fe8fb83a8_c.jpg

I believe I looked at every piece of quilted maple in the vault and this one was definitely the winner. It's going to look absolutely incredible in Purple Mist.

The other 2-piece maple set was chosen for the back. The large figure dead center in the bookmatched set was a bit too distracting for the top, in my opinion, but I think it'll make an excellent back.

38020171624_8acf3ae1ae_c.jpg

I'll be getting a matching backplate to keep that beauty intact.

After that, we were given a guided tour of the factory by Shawn@PRS, and I have to say there is no better face for the company. Shawn was so hospitable, patient, generous with his time and knowledge, and just downright nice. A super cool guy that I'm very glad to have met.

We did get to see PRSh a couple of times throughout the day, and even got to watch him test out some Private Stocks that were getting his seal of approval to go out. At the end of the day he joined us for a drink at a nearby restaurant/bar, and even signed my copy of the PRS book for me. I can honestly say I'm as much a fan of this guy as I am of most of the musicians I admire, so this was a really special moment for me.

37849553555_a9d63c2035_c.jpg

A perfect end to a perfect day. I don't think I could have asked for anything else. It was like being a kid at Disneyworld for the first time.

Thanks to Brian and Graham for setting this adventure up for me, and thanks to Shawn, Tina, Paul Miles, PRSh, and everybody else I met who made this such a memorable experience, one I don't think I'll ever forget.

Congrats, Sage! The PS experience is something everyone should get to experience - Paul M. & Tina are great to work with and they do their utmost to deliver your dream. Love those maple sets! Although I tend to disagree about the back - I think that would make a killer top as well, but with those two sets, it's definitely the back. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Did you get to watch Brian spec anything out? That was almost as much fun as doing mine. He was sweating the wood choices as much as I did, and they weren't even for his personal guitars.

I finally did it, I finally made the trek to Maryland to tour the PRS factory and select tonewoods for a Private Stock build. Since I have family in the area I scheduled a few days to visit with them, but yesterday I headed out to Stevensville and had an incredible experience.

I contacted Brian's Guitars a few months ago to get the ball rolling, and Brian and his sales manager Graham set up the meeting with Tina, Paul Miles, and the rest of the crew, and they met myself and another customer at PRS headquarters. Wood selection came first, and with Brian and Paul's help I was able to find exactly what I came looking for.

37849553965_b1d7478290_c.jpg

This will eventually become a Custom 24 Semi-Hollow with a wide-thin neck, stoptail, single f-hole, and an arched maple top *and* back. The tonewoods are not particularly exotic, but they are definitely top shelf; at the upper left is a Peruvian "sinker" mahogany neck blank, selected with the assistance of Paul Miles, who showed me what to look for. To the right of that is an ebony fretboard blank, the darkest and most uniform I could find, in order to provide ultimate contrast with MOP J-birds with Paua centers.

Arranged below the neck pieces are the lightest-colored piece of African mahogany I could find (in order to better take stain/toner on the sides of the guitar to match the top), an ebony headstock overlay (which actually had some subtle figuring which doesn't really come through in the above photo), then this 2-piece quilted maple top, which Brian discovered and I instantly fell in love with:

26960762279_9fe8fb83a8_c.jpg

I believe I looked at every piece of quilted maple in the vault and this one was definitely the winner. It's going to look absolutely incredible in Purple Mist.

The other 2-piece maple set was chosen for the back. The large figure dead center in the bookmatched set was a bit too distracting for the top, in my opinion, but I think it'll make an excellent back.

38020171624_8acf3ae1ae_c.jpg

I'll be getting a matching backplate to keep that beauty intact.

After that, we were given a guided tour of the factory by Shawn@PRS, and I have to say there is no better face for the company. Shawn was so hospitable, patient, generous with his time and knowledge, and just downright nice. A super cool guy that I'm very glad to have met.

We did get to see PRSh a couple of times throughout the day, and even got to watch him test out some Private Stocks that were getting his seal of approval to go out. At the end of the day he joined us for a drink at a nearby restaurant/bar, and even signed my copy of the PRS book for me. I can honestly say I'm as much a fan of this guy as I am of most of the musicians I admire, so this was a really special moment for me.

37849553555_a9d63c2035_c.jpg

A perfect end to a perfect day. I don't think I could have asked for anything else. It was like being a kid at Disneyworld for the first time.

Thanks to Brian and Graham for setting this adventure up for me, and thanks to Shawn, Tina, Paul Miles, PRSh, and everybody else I met who made this such a memorable experience, one I don't think I'll ever forget.

It was my pleasure showing you around the shop, I'm glad you had a good time. Congrats on your Private Stock build, I'm sure it'll be a stunner!

Fantastic! Congratulations on that awesome build...can't wait to see it. You will not find a better group of people who care more about their products and customers anywhere.

That is gonna be awesome! Congrats!!

I agree with Alan...I might have even used the back for my top...!

awesome quilt selection!. Hopefully we'll see pics of it during the build on Private Stock Friday's

Absolutely incredible choices!!! Thanks for sharing your story with us man, I really enjoy these threads as much as NGDs. Congrats!!

These next few months of waiting is going to be killer though. Always the worst part!

Love those maple sets! Although I tend to disagree about the back - I think that would make a killer top as well, but with those two sets, it's definitely the back.

Actually that set was going to be the top before Brian showed me the other one. I would've just positioned it so the bridge could obscure that large curl in the wood. With it on the back, it's okay for that spot to draw the eye. Win-win!

Did you get to watch Brian spec anything out? That was almost as much fun as doing mine. He was sweating the wood choices as much as I did, and they weren't even for his personal guitars.

Unfortunately, no; I was rather pokey about selecting my own stuff, so by the time I was finished it was already time for lunch. After that, we were with Shawn the whole time, and by the time we regrouped with Brian and Graham they were done.

WOW. THAT IS SENSATIONAL QUILT. PURPLE MIST! NICE WORK. PAUL IS A STALLION.

He's taller than I imagined and a pretty intense guy. I was super nervous to meet him and he had no qualms about ribbing me, but I really enjoyed getting to talk to him.

Bangin'!

And yes, Shawn is the greatest. He should get a raise.

Thanks! A "Bangin'" from Sergio is welcome praise indeed!

Shawn was with me and Steve (the other customer who Brian had brought in) for over three hours showing us all sorts of cool stuff. There was another tour being conducted while we were there but we definitely got the VIP treatment. I've seen all the "shop in detail" virtual tour videos a dozen times, but it was so cool to be there in person to take it in and really see the scale of everything.

Fantastic! Congratulations on that awesome build...can't wait to see it. You will not find a better group of people who care more about their products and customers anywhere.

There was a moment when we stopped to meet Eric Granroth in final assembly, and PRSh came in and sat down to test out several guitars. I asked if I could record some video, and after a couple minutes, Paul looked up at me and asked, "Why are you recording this?" He was just busting my chops but like I said I was super nervous so I immediately stopped and then everyone laughed. And then I said, "Well, when you watch a master at work you kind of want to be able to see it again." And he got real serious and said something to the effect of, "That's very sweet, but you know every single person who works on these is at the top of his field." He wasn't about to take credit for their work. And he was right -- though I was starstruck meeting him, it was the rest of the team who were turning these slabs of wood, magnets, and metal into works of art. It was a real privilege to meet them and observe their work.

At the end of the night, as he was heading out after joining us for a drink at the restaurant up the road, he shook my hand, looked me in the eye and said, "I'll play it myself and if I don't like it, I won't ship it." I just smiled and said, "I believe it." Left unspoken was what I think we both understood implicitly: the chances of this team producing an instrument that doesn't pass muster are slim to none.

Back