Jotarock

Hi everyone! i just wondered... How do you deal with dents and scratches on your expensive guitars? The other day, somebody told me about the "PRS syndrome": when you own such an expensive (not my case, i only have a SE custom) and beautiful guitar, you just simply don´t wanna even touch it. It´s like a guitar just for keep it in home and for playing time to time. Do you guys feel that way? D you have any dents on yours PRS?

Anyway, thank you for welcome me in the forum and for all your kind and useful answers in my first thread.

Rock on!

I think in general, PRS owners take pretty good care of their instruments. Most you see for sale “used” are in pretty good nick.

All of my guitars, PRS and otherwise get played. If they get damaged it’s disappointing but they are instruments.

Frankie Clarke’s Casper is a prime example of a “played” guitar -

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...hemed-maybe-but-did-a-thing.47310/post-627269

I don’t abuse my guitars, but I don’t baby them either.

They hold up. I’ve gigged my guitars pretty heavily at times, and though they do get the occasional mark, it’s honestly earned playwear and doesn’t detract from the instrument.

”PRS Syndrome” is a concept invented by non-PRS players, in the same vein as “doctor/dentist guitars.” You see them on stages everywhere so I’d say it’s a fallacy that they’re being pampered in a corner. What you don’t generally see is people taking chains and belt sanders to them to make them look like they’ve seen stage time. In that sense, yeah, we do like the appearance of our PRS instruments!

I have one small nick in the headstock of my SE Custom. Before I built my "cave" I used the spare bedroom as my practice hall. Long story short herself was vacuuming and nudged (her exact words) my guitar on the stand and knocked it over. I was miffed but it wasn't the end of the world. OK I was pi$$ed for a time but I got over it. It's going to get a lot worse with time I would think. I mean, I cart it all over the place and s**t happens right? A case only protects it when it's inside after all.
My guitar cave isn't locked but it's understood that you don't go in without my explicit permission, and only when I'm in there. Woe be tide any interlopers!:D

I think this "PRS syndrome" is more internet myth like doctors and lawyers. It's like any other nice purchase.. it sucks when you get a bump or bruise, but they get easier to deal with over time. Same as when you get that first scratch or door ding on your new car. Bummed at first but it's a car and meant to be driven just like a guitar is meant to be played.

The dings aren’t about the guitar—they’re about me. I’m ok with them.

It’s like anything in life. If you‘re gonna have a real bad day because you used something and it looks as though it’s been used, maybe that’s not the thing for you to be using. They’re all just objects. If I get a scratch on a cheapie guitar it bothers me no more or less than on an expensive one.

If I were a person who was constantly selling guitars, maybe I’d think more about that.

I play mine and don’t worry too much. No abuse but plenty of play time. It really only matters if you’re possibly selling. I gig all my guitars. My PS has plenty of play wear. I spec’d it for live use. Be silly to me to just hang it on a wall. Everyone has their views on what they want to do. No right or wrong unless you’re telling someone else what they can/can’t do.

Last edited:
Guitars are meant to be played. That's my view. Dings happen. It hurts at first, but like everyone has said, it always does...like the first rock or door ding on your new car. But it doesn't affect the sound and feel of the guitar. Which is awesome!

I find it puzzling why folks buy pre made "relic" anything ...road worn istruments, hole filled jeans.. I much prefer earning those . I've got a 35 year old strat that started out Olympic White and now as a delicious amber with lighter areas where I play .. way cooler .

Past that I'm pretty picky about keeping them as pristine as possible , and repair any nicks if they are finish only

I just throw them out when they get a ding, and then buy a new one.

Who was that popular rapper or actor or somebody who famously would wear high-priced shoes just once and then throw them away? This reminded me of that guy....think it was maybe Nelly.

To the OP....guitars will get dings and scratches eventually. I try not to let them bother me too much, but the first ding can usually sting a bit.

I have one that's pretty beat up, but I try and keep them in decent condition and keep them cased when not in use.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! i just wondered... How do you deal with dents and scratches on your expensive guitars? The other day, somebody told me about the "PRS syndrome": when you own such an expensive (not my case, i only have a SE custom) and beautiful guitar, you just simply don´t wanna even touch it. It´s like a guitar just for keep it in home and for playing time to time. Do you guys feel that way? D you have any dents on yours PRS?

Anyway, thank you for welcome me in the forum and for all your kind and useful answers in my first thread.

Rock on!

I don't think that is 'strictly' a PRS thing and I see a LOT of guitars that people would be 'scared' to play in case they damage it - part of the reason 'Relics' are popular. General patina of age, the little dings, dents etc don't seem to make much difference in 'resale' value on guitars over 5yrs old or so - people 'expect' some general wear. A big/deep scratch or chips can lose quite a bit on resale value - especially if 'newer' - but I bet that's the same with most 'expensive' guitars - unless was a relic.

The main problem is more the individual who can't really afford the instrument they have and therefore worried about damaging the instrument and 'losing' more than they could cope with. If you can't afford to replace or 'fix' something, then you do get nervous about damage. Its more about owning 'instruments' within your financial comfort zone - but Core PRS guitars are very 'beautiful' and very 'desirable' so people 'push' beyond their limits to buy, only then to be too worried to play it. That 'beauty' also means that anything detracting from it can be quite a loss on its 'financial' value to someone else - hence resale value drops so the 'owner' loses more.

I bet if they had a Knaggs, a Nik Huber or something similarly priced, not reliced and brand new, they'd be very nervous to hold it in case they scratched it or worse, dropped it. Just like PRS, if you can't afford to 'lose' that money because you overstretched to get it and/or couldn't afford to repair/replace, you are too worried to play.

If the musician doesn't 'care' about resale value, whether that's due to their financial situation or they don't 'expect' to sell, then they are 'free' to play the guitar how they want. If it gets 'dinged', that's just part of the history and likely a 'memory' associated with it. You look at Jimi's guitars, the dings, dents, cigarette burns etc all tell a story of the 'history' of that instrument and the player. Greeny LP, now owned by Kirk, has dings, dents, broken headstock and tells the rich story of that guitar and the Players who played it.

I do look after my guitars, don't play wearing lots of 'metal' (Zips, buckles, buttons etc), don't swing my guitar around on its strap, wipe them down and generally look after my stuff - not for 'resale' value as I couldn't care less how much someone else thinks they are 'worth', they are worth more to me. A 'good' craftsman always looks after his tools as they are essential to their craft and I was always told a Bad craftsman always blames his tools. I look after 'EVERYTHING' I own - not because it may increase its 'resale' value to me (or my kids when they inherit everything) but because then they are always ready to use, always in good, clean condition. I don't care about resale value because I don't intend to sell so if/when things do get the Patina of age, the little dings/dents etc that inevitably happen, it's not 'devastating' and becomes part of my history and story of that guitars life.

If you can't afford to 'drive' a Ferrari, you don't buy one - even if you can just about afford the asking price. You will be too scared to take it out on public roads in case it gets scratched or dinged, don't want to 'push' the car in case you wear the tyres out and can't afford a new set - you won't feel comfortable driving it around - always worrying about what 'could' happen and not just you making a costly mistake, but someone else hitting into you too. You can't 'relax' and drive it like you would your 'Ford' for example.

Its more about people buying beyond what they are 'comfortable' with. If you aren't comfortable playing a $4k guitar in case you lose $750 on it when you do come to sell, then maybe you should find something you are more comfortable playing. If, like me, you buy a guitar expecting to keep it 'forever' as a Core PRS is an 'heirloom' type product, meant to last you a lifetime with regular care/maintenance of course - then its 'resale' value is irrelevant, then you can look at what that 'instrument' is worth to you as a 'tool', as something to bring you 'joy' over many many years. If you play just an hour a day for 10yrs, you have paid about $1 for every hour of joy that' guitar has brought, all the memories too and if it's 'not' worth as much as another's because of scratches, dings etc, to me, my guitar has MORE value because of the 'years' of memories and 'pleasure' its given me. I 'lost' money on 'every' Core PRS guitar I own - not because of their condition as I would describe them as 'excellent-mint' with no major dings/dents etc just some 'patina' of age and use - but because I bought 'new' and now they have 'used' value which is lower than I paid. I don't 'care' about that because I don't 'intend' to sell and bought for 'life' and the 'enjoyment' I have had from playing offsets the 'initial' cost. I also only purchased when I was financially secure enough to let that amount go out of my bank without putting me in 'financial' difficulties - even if I had some emergency (replace my Fridge or pay for some unexpected repairs to something) so I was buying within my 'financial' means, not concerned about resale as I expected to 'buy for life', not for a few months or even a year or two. I still have all my cores and not sold a guitar for over 10yrs now.

Guitars have a LOT more value than buying 'Electronics' like a Gaming PC/Laptop, Large screen 4k HDR TV's etc as in 10yrs, they'll be 'worthless', yet my guitars could be worth 'more' due to inflation and the fact that the 'electronics' are not obsolete like the tech inside Computers, TV's etc so whilst I am not concerned about resale value, just by keeping my guitars looked after but still enjoyed may end up being lucrative over time too - although not something I considered at the time.

Anyway, point is if you can't afford to 'play' the guitar through 'fear' of damage and the repercussions (ie loss of resale value), then maybe you shouldn't be spending so much on your guitar - buy an SE or S2 - that's why these guitars 'exist' - not just to make more affordable versions so 'more' can buy a PRS, but so that 'Musicians' can play without the 'fear/stress' of playing something out of their financial comfort zone. Comfortable to 'play' doesn't just relate to the physical playability, but also the mental comfort, not being 'afraid' to play in case you can't afford to 'repair/replace' if it does get damaged.

Last edited:
Back