The original 57/08's that came in the Experience guitars....

clmazza

Bullet the Blue Sky
The original 57/08's that came in the 57/08 limited guitars....

So.... I have a bunch of PRS guitars with the etched 57/08's in them. I love these pups! I also have an SC245 Limited Edition guitar with the original run of un-etched 57/08's that are remarkable. Does anyone know if there is any sort of difference in these and the new offerings? Besides the windings perhaps being different, I'm curious if there was any change in the manufacturing process.

Also - I saw a set of these sell for a significant penny, recently. Are these more desirable?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have an unetched pair that were supposedly an early set that Paul sent to a friend to test. Whether it's true, and who that friend was, well I sure would like to know, but the seller told me all of this after I had already paid for them so I don't see why he would make it up at that point. Got them for a very fair price too.

They're BY FAR the best pickups I've ever had, and I'm not parting with them until they put me six feet down! But they're the only set I have, so I have no means of direct comparison... it's entirely possible that all sets are that good.

I have a 1957/2008 SC245 w/the early 57/08s. It's about the most vintage-sounding guitar I have. I've seen that later versions have higher output than the early run (no idea what the output on mine is). They sound great. The only issue I've had w/that guitar is that I've never been able to get a good high-gain sound out of it, at least using my Mark IV. Have not tried with any of the later amp acquisitions. And it's not necessarily the guitar I'd go for if I was looking for a high-gain sound, but that's the only issue I've had w/it so far. Also, it seems to be one of the rare 1957/2008 SC245s that got out w/coil-tapping.

I've got three pairs, an un-etched pair, a "57/08" etched pair, and a "57/08 TM" pair. All three are very close in tone.

Don't mind me asking what's the difference between the TM and the etched ones
Because i had an unetched pair from the early 2008 batch in a CU22 and a
TM pair in another Cu 22 with old school birds (both are sold now :bawling:) but i thought the TM meant the etched ones

Last edited:
I've got a pair that are just etched "57/08" (no TM). I couldn't tell you any tonal difference, though.

I have several pair of etched, and had a pair of very early un-etched. The readings on every set are different, but very close. I would say there are no differences between etched or un-etched, but there are slight differences on every pair of 57/08s. Thats going by my findings on the ones I had/have at least.

Back