The One That Got Away!

I missed out on a gorgeous and really well priced Santana last month.

A Santana is probably my most missed out PRS. I thought many times this was going to be the one, only to walk away empty handed. I had a KL33 I missed out on across the country pop up for sale near me a year later..That was just dumb luck but, I bought it the second time!

The dagger is when you miss out on a guitar that shows up here on a NGD! Good news is you know where it is and if they ever get tired of it.. Dibbs!

Missed out buying a PS DGT that Willcut had for sale. It was a semi-hollow in Magma. I stared at it online for I don’t know how long trying to convince myself to spend the money. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Oh well. Hopefully whoever ended up with it is enjoying the heck out of it.

Missed out buying a PS DGT that Willcut had for sale. It was a semi-hollow in Magma. I stared at it online for I don’t know how long trying to convince myself to spend the money. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Oh well. Hopefully whoever ended up with it is enjoying the heck out of it.
I don’t have PS money, but I’m happy for those that do! Maybe another will come along for you?!

Vela.
I was killing time in a GC and they had a brand new Vela - first one I'd ever seen. I played it for about 5 minutes and was suprised by how much I loved the way it felt. Plugged it in and played for about 30 minutes and loved the way it sounded.
I didn't pull the trigger for two reasons. it was GC. & It was white.
Here's the thing. The price was insane. I don't think we are supposed to talk about money here but it was so low I thought it had to be a mistake. Oh well.

They didn’t really get away. I knew exactly where they were when I walked away from them and paid down my mortgage instead: dragon II, rosewood limited (which I always considered the tree of life). But I did contemplate from time to time how nice it would be to have them.
Priorities, right?! I get that!

Vela.
I was killing time in a GC and they had a brand new Vela - first one I'd ever seen. I played it for about 5 minutes and was suprised by how much I loved the way it felt. Plugged it in and played for about 30 minutes and loved the way it sounded.
I didn't pull the trigger for two reasons. it was GC. & It was white.
Here's the thing. The price was insane. I don't think we are supposed to talk about money here but it was so low I thought it had to be a mistake. Oh well.
Oh man!

"The One That Got Away"

:(:(:(

julie-bowen.jpg

Ok now, serious answer... 2. Both at my buddies store, and I've spoken of both here before but...

#2- Flametop core Mira. They had it for 3 months or so. It was GREAT and looked great. During their big once-a-year sale event, they put it on sale for I think, under $1200. I wanted it, but had JUST bought the Taylor GS Mini Fall LTD Koa, and didn't have much in the "Gear Fund." What a steal, and a really nice guitar!

#1- A single cut Stripped 57/08 or Stripped 58 or whatever that model was. I literally found it on my way out of the store, and more importantly, with my wife standing there. Played it for 15 seconds without plugging it in, and knew it was "the Les Paul I always wanted." I never even heard the magic of the 57/08's (til later), but that guitar played incredibly well, felt fabulous and was SO alive and resonant. Sustain for days. I'm convinced to this day, that if I had discovered that while the wife wasn't there, I'd have been arranging trade-ins, down payments, lay-a-ways or whatever needed to get that guitar. This was before the significant price increase a few years back, and it was offered at a significant discount... a new guitar at a price lower than I've seen on used ones even before things got nuts. Now, I'd pay $1000 more for a 10 year old one than I was offered for that one new.

This was back when we usually went to my daughters house once a month or so. I made an excuse to go back to the store the very next day to pick up something I forgot. ;) When I got there, my buddy told me it sold about one hour after I left the day before, to a guy who had been looking at it for a couple months and had come in and played it 3 times. Guess he fell in love with it, didn't have the cash so he didn't buy it. My buddy said he came in with a bank check for the exact amount he quoted him with tax and all. Guy wanted it so bad he went to the bank and got a loan for it. FWIW, that guy is a regular customer there, and I did tell my buddy to tell the guy that if he ever wanted to sell it, he had a friend that wanted it. But that was probably around 10 years ago, and I know he won't let go of that one, nor would I.

Ok now, serious answer... 2. Both at my buddies store, and I've spoken of both here before but...

#2- Flametop core Mira. They had it for 3 months or so. It was GREAT and looked great. During their big once-a-year sale event, they put it on sale for I think, under $1200. I wanted it, but had JUST bought the Taylor GS Mini Fall LTD Koa, and didn't have much in the "Gear Fund." What a steal, and a really nice guitar!

#1- A single cut Stripped 57/08 or Stripped 58 or whatever that model was. I literally found it on my way out of the store, and more importantly, with my wife standing there. Played it for 15 seconds without plugging it in, and knew it was "the Les Paul I always wanted." I never even heard the magic of the 57/08's (til later), but that guitar played incredibly well, felt fabulous and was SO alive and resonant. Sustain for days. I'm convinced to this day, that if I had discovered that while the wife wasn't there, I'd have been arranging trade-ins, down payments, lay-a-ways or whatever needed to get that guitar. This was before the significant price increase a few years back, and it was offered at a significant discount... a new guitar at a price lower than I've seen on used ones even before things got nuts. Now, I'd pay $1000 more for a 10 year old one than I was offered for that one new.

This was back when we usually went to my daughters house once a month or so. I made an excuse to go back to the store the very next day to pick up something I forgot. ;) When I got there, my buddy told me it sold about one hour after I left the day before, to a guy who had been looking at it for a couple months and had come in and played it 3 times. Guess he fell in love with it, didn't have the cash so he didn't buy it. My buddy said he came in with a bank check for the exact amount he quoted him with tax and all. Guy wanted it so bad he went to the bank and got a loan for it. FWIW, that guy is a regular customer there, and I did tell my buddy to tell the guy that if he ever wanted to sell it, he had a friend that wanted it. But that was probably around 10 years ago, and I know he won't let go of that one, nor would I.
Oh man! #1 is painful for me. I too, have to occasionally do some wife math!!!

Back