The One That Got Away

Lister

Playing guitar badly since the 70's...
I should also mention that in 1992 I passed on a ‘53 Gold Top for $3500 because the case smelled, and the guitar looked a little rough. That was probably not such a great decision. :(

Les posted this in another thread, but it got me thinking about one that got away. If you play long enough, there's bound to be a certain guitar/amp/pedal that got away from you that you still wonder about. Let the stories begin!

I posted about it on here a while back, but Dave's had an S2 Custom 24 in satin Royal Purple that I really regret not pulling the trigger on.

There was an old school SC on Craigslist a few years ago with an insane top. Looked like one of those on fire sunsets you see on post cards. It was a few hundred more than I was prepared to pay. Still wonder what it would be like to have bought it.

Last edited:
After starting on a TPOS Kay electric, I grew up on a ‘61 Gibson J-45 flat-top.

It eventually got traded in on a trombone for our middle boy. Long gone.
I’ve never found a decent substitute for that ‘ol J-45, though I’ve tried many others...
(Snif)

Les posted this in another thread, but it got me thinking about one that got away. If you play long enough, there's bound to be a certain guitar/amp/pedal that got away from you that you still wonder about. Let the stories begin!

I could’ve also had one of the first Dragon models at a bargain price, because it had faded from being in the dealer’s showroom near the window. I passed because...imperfection.

It was green. It was still pretty cool. I’m a dummy.

I wish I still had my ‘64 Magnatone metal flake electric that my mom bought me new. :( It wasn’t much of a guitar, but don’t we all fondly remember our first?
Absolutely! I still have my first. 1958 Martin 0-15 parlor guitar. Family heirloom.

I was offered a prototype Vox, owned and used by John Lennon. Given by him to Harrison's tech who's wife had it till the early 2000's. Seemed like alot of cash at the time. It's value now is 20 times what I could have had it for. I was very stoooopid!

I was offered a prototype Vox, owned and used by John Lennon. Given by him to Harrison's tech who's wife had it till the early 2000's. Seemed like alot of cash at the time. It's value now is 20 times what I could have had it for. I was very stoooopid!

:(

One that I wish I still had was a Roger McQuinn 360-12 with the built in compressor. The sound was beautiful but the neck just seemed way too narrow so I wasn't bonding.

Last year I was watching a McQuinn video and he talks about how he liked the narrow neck because it allowed him to sometimes cover two sets of strings with one finger instead of two, freeing up a finger for different chord voicings. Gee, never thought of that.

Oh, and the original Tony Zemaitis mentioned before.

Every guitar I’ve ever owned...except for the cheap nylon stringed student “thing” I first took lessons on...is hanging on the wall just a few yards from me now. Now, could I have bought any one of dozens of the finest guitars ever created? Yes. Visiting them at friends’ basements has been way more fun. But there was this one Golden Eagle...and a prototype PS DGT. Oh god, I forgot about that one. :(

No seller’s remorse exists for guitars or cars. Except there was that Mustang pace car that could have been mine at age 15 but wasn’t allowed to buy it because I only had a learners’ permit and enough money to buy a Les Paul.

The one that got away for me was a matched set of original Ibanez Jems - all 3 colors, all signed, with matching numbers. At the time I was about $200 short and busting my butt to scrape it up. By the time I got the money they were gone.

Can't think of anything off-handed...though I'm sure there will be something that shows up in the future that will brighten my day. Oh, well, until then, off to bed.

Pics or it was a Dean Martin signature dicky
Not the best photos but I don't want to pull it out from storage today.
z5g90cC.jpg

lhdNSZ7.jpg

KmEi2UD.jpg

Every guitar I’ve ever owned...except for the cheap nylon stringed student “thing” I first took lessons on...is hanging on the wall just a few yards from me now. Now, could I have bought any one of dozens of the finest guitars ever created? Yes. Visiting them at friends’ basements has been way more fun. But there was this one Golden Eagle...and a prototype PS DGT. Oh god, I forgot about that one. :(

No seller’s remorse exists for guitars or cars. Except there was that Mustang pace car that could have been mine at age 15 but wasn’t allowed to buy it because I only had a learners’ permit and enough money to buy a Les Paul.

And every Sant.......

:p

Heck even I’m gonna get one before you!;)

I guess if I had to pick a guitar, bass, amp, pedal that I let go and sorta wish I hadn't, it would be the Klon Silver Centaur #175 I let go about 10 yrs ago in a trade.

I bought it for $175 in Austin about 11 yrs ago, and I tried it for a while and just didn't understand all the hype. I sucked as a stand alone OD, and it took up WAY to much on my pedal board to
be some glorified boost pedal.

The only reason I'd want it back is because of it's value now and for no other reason.

Here's a pic of Silver Klon:

100_0189.jpg

Back