The one that got away.

Yeah, they need to move some of that stuff... It's an awesome collection but it's getting a bit dated. I had intended on buying mine there but everything is hfs for the most part...

Interestingly enough, the one I bought ended up being made in 2013, not 2007... according to the back of the head stock and hang tag. :confused: Did they make a SC250 model in 2013? Also it shows on the hang tag that it's a "10 Top" but on the back of the head stock there is not the usual "10" painted on that goes with that. Anyone have any insight on these two items?

Interestingly enough, the one I bought ended up being made in 2013, not 2007... according to the back of the head stock and hang tag. :confused: Did they make a SC250 model in 2013? Also it shows on the hang tag that it's a "10 Top" but on the back of the head stock there is not the usual "10" painted on that goes with that. Anyone have any insight on these two items?

Does the serial on the hangtag match the headstock?

Interestingly enough, the one I bought ended up being made in 2013, not 2007... according to the back of the head stock and hang tag. :confused:

I read somewhere that when production of these guitars was suspended in 2007 and then resumed, they were in various stages of completion. Some already had 2007 serial numbers assigned and they were completed to 2007 specs. Others were assigned new serial numbers and completed with newer pickups and tuners.

Does the serial on the hangtag match the headstock?

Uz39KxL.jpg

mxFxVZ7.jpg

Notice the lack of "10" on the head stock but it is present on the hang tag.

I read somewhere that when production of these guitars was suspended in 2007 and then resumed, they were in various stages of completion. Some already had 2007 serial numbers assigned and they were completed to 2007 specs. Others were assigned new serial numbers and completed with newer pickups and tuners.

That would make sense except that this one appears to have Phase II locking tuners, not the Phase III tuners that are on my other newer PRS models.

Uz39KxL.jpg

mxFxVZ7.jpg

Notice the lack of "10" on the head stock but it is present on the hang tag.

That would make sense except that this one appears to have Phase II locking tuners, not the Phase III tuners that are on my other newer PRS models.

Did it end up as an artist grade? Gold hardware and such...

All of my artist package guitars have ebony headstocks (except my maple necked artist studio), I dunno when that started or if it's uniform, but your guitar is sick either way.

Last edited:
All of my artist package guitars have ebony headstocks (except my maple necked artist studio), I dunno when that started or if it's uniform, but your guitar is sick either way.

Thanks Raven17. I love the guitar, just would like to figure out why this one is so different. This one seems to have a rosewood headstock instead of an ebony one, possibly Brazilian to match the fretboard?

I'm hoping the right person sees this thread and can help me better understand what's going on.

Thanks Raven17. I love the guitar, just would like to figure out why this one is so different. This one seems to have a rosewood headstock instead of an ebony one, possibly Brazilian to match the fretboard?

I'm hoping the right person sees this thread and can help me better understand what's going on.

Brazzy does make sense, I have a couple of NOS 2007/2013's with Brazzy fingerboards, I'll check them.

No luck, both are painted headstocks, white for the Navarro (Duh), black for the McCarty korina natural blackburst. The rest of my Brazzys either have ebony headstock veneer or are private stock. Sorry brother, I wasn't much help.

Last edited:
No luck, both are painted headstocks, white for the Navarro (Duh), black for the McCarty korina natural blackburst. The rest of my Brazzys either have ebony headstock veneer or are private stock. Sorry brother, I was much help.

That's ok, I still appreciate you checking for me. The mystery will continue for now.

The Siggy Ltd is a stoptail 408 with better specs than the core model.

Last edited:
I don't think an artist grade top gets and special marking on the headstock

I'm assuming that this is supposed to read "I don't think an artist grade top gets a special marking on the headstock."

I agree that the 10 Top issue is resolved, as for the correct year and more information to clear that up, I feel there is more to learn.

Thanks to everyone for their responses and help so far.

I'm assuming that this is supposed to read "I don't think an artist grade top gets a special marking on the headstock."

I agree that the 10 Top issue is resolved, as for the correct year and more information to clear that up, I feel there is more to learn.

Thanks to everyone for their responses and help so far.

That is correct. Replying on a phone can be a challenge.

The hang tag says 2013 and the headstock says 2013 so not sure where there's a date confusion. If Dave's had it listed as a '07 that was just a mistake. They may have had it listed with the other brazzys under that '07 heading but the serial and tag are the true information.

If it's the tuners that are confusing you it may be a case of being nearly complete prior to the production being stopped and finished later.

Last edited:
There were a whole bunch of guitars that had brazzy boards/necks that got shelved for years while SITES issues got resolved. As dsenoj pointed out, they were later finished with varying combinations of hardware, marked for US only and sent out.

Artist package guitars don't get a "10" marking because artist tops are better than 10-tops. The 2007 Artist Package guitars got the Brazilian rosewood headstock overlay and fretboard. The guitars put on hold in '07 were finished to original spec, thus the phase II tuners. The color is "Ruby Red" as listed in the '07 catalog for the SC250 Satin. It is strange that one of those would have taken so long to finish, most were completed in '09 or '10.

Last edited:
Artist package guitars don't get a "10" marking because artist tops are better than 10-tops. The 2007 Artist Package guitars got the Brazilian rosewood headstock overlay and fretboard. The guitars put on hold in '07 were finished to original spec, thus the phase II tuners. The color is "Ruby Red" as listed in the '07 catalog for the SC250 Satin. It is strange that one of those would have taken so long to finish, most were completed in '09 or '10.

Thanks Daniel, that was everything I was looking for in one answer. :beer:

Back