The One That Almost Got Away

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Had been tracking this guitar for several days on Reverb, and had gone back and forth between a less expensive PRS and this model...meanwhile, the one in question sat there looking longingly with doe-eyes until someone paid to release the guitar from captivity...

Finally made the correct decision that I'd be less satisfied with the cheaper guitar, though it might have adequately served my playing needs.

Settled on its older sister, the improved model. Just hoping it sounds as good through a digital modeling device (HeadRush Gigboard/FRFR108)...

Have several clean and acoustic patches ready...am now waiting during the gestation period until the new arrival makes it home...

Please welcome my new PRS SE Hollowbody II Piezo Black/Gold...images to follow after arrival...

Last edited:
Had been tracking this guitar for several days on Reverb, and had gone back and forth between a less expensive PRS and this model...meanwhile, the one in question sat there looking longingly with doe-eyes until someone paid for its release from captivity...

Finally made the correct decision that I'd be less satisfied with the cheaper guitar, though it might have adequately served my playing needs.

Settled on its older sister, the improved model. Just hoping it sounds as good through a digital modeling device (HeadRush Gigboard/FRFR108)...

Have several clean and acoustic patches ready...am now waiting during the gestation period until the new arrival makes it home...

Please welcome my new PRS SE Hollowbody II Piezo Black/Gold...images to follow after arrival...

Congrats!!

(But we all KNOW you can download and post teaser pics from Reverb...)

Congrats!!

(But we all KNOW you can download and post teaser pics from Reverb...)

Thank you for the encouragement. According to the retailer, the guitar looks better in person than their online image (they posted because of wood grain differences in guitars, the item you receive may have different wood grain than what is pictured). Will post an image of the top that they sent....

tKtuGna.jpg

Thank you for the encouragement. According to the retailer, the guitar looks better in person than their online image (they posted because of wood grain differences in guitars, the item you receive may have different wood grain than what is pictured). Will post an image of the top that they sent....

tKtuGna.jpg

Hell yeah, if that really is the actual guitar, she's beautiful!

Thanks, Doug! The original sales image wasn't nearly as nice, but the retailer reassured me the guitar was both stunningly beautiful and had balanced piezo response (my requirement prior to purchase).

I've heard Bryan Ewald mention that Paul doesn't want any of his pieces coming back in for unnecessary repairs once purchased, so Paul is particular about being sure each piece is up to spec before it makes its way into retailer's hands.

There's been only one report I know of personally that has involved an unbalanced piezo response (though the post does not mention if the unbalanced response was from a wound G-string or not). It may be a given fact that .010-.046 strings are spec for the guitar, and that a wound G may cause an alteration in piezo volume response. I hope this info is useful to the guy who had the unbalanced piezo response issue...

Other than that, the image that the retailer sent was the selling point...now to scrape up the needed funds to make sure my CC payments are on par with next months bills...hellooo, eBay sales...

Holy Moly. I think I know why the guitar had sat for a time at the retailers. Viewing the back of the guitar, the wood grain has 2 distinct image patterns...one reminds you of the face of a smiling woman, eyes half closed. The lower part of the guitar back looks like a baboon's face. No joke.

Do you wonder how many people might have been turned off to see a monkey on the back? I'll need to remind myself to keep looking at the smiling woman every time something else nags me...dang, this is gonna keep me more honest for quite a while...will post the image later today...the front wood pattern, no issues. Heh, surprised I didn't see that when I viewed the guitar; must have not been that visible at first glance...

Here. First 2 images look good. Yet tell me what you see in the 3rd image...this is certainly unique...not sure what to say, except it's officially mine now...

i28cABc.jpg

L5m9kOy.jpg

KRsuFVr.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Doug! The original sales image wasn't nearly as nice, but the retailer reassured me the guitar was both stunningly beautiful and had balanced piezo response (my requirement prior to purchase).

I've heard Bryan Ewald mention that Paul doesn't want any of his pieces coming back in for unnecessary repairs once purchased, so Paul is particular about being sure each piece is up to spec before it makes its way into retailer's hands.

There's been only one report I know of personally that has involved an unbalanced piezo response (though the post does not mention if the unbalanced response was from a wound G-string or not). It may be a given fact that .010-.046 strings are spec for the guitar, and that a wound G may cause an alteration in piezo volume response. I hope this info is useful to the guy who had the unbalanced piezo response issue...

Other than that, the image that the retailer sent was the selling point...now to scrape up the needed funds to make sure my CC payments are on par with next months bills...hellooo, eBay sales...

Hmmm, interesting. My newest PRS is a HB II that came from the factory w/a wound G.

Hmmm, interesting. My newest PRS is a HB II that came from the factory w/a wound G.

Was yours the one that had the unbalanced piezo that needed returning? Strings from the factory were supposed to be .010-.046s, with an unwound G. Not sure, but your wound G may have been the case for the loud G piezo...? I'd definitely look into this, because it speaks volumes about what strings will work vs. not...

Dude! First Planet of the Apes guitar!! Congrats! (Is that Cornelius?) Sweet top!!

Brilliant! Had not thought of it that way. Was thinking more along the lines of The Vaughan Brothers "Family Style" - "Baboom / Mama Said." Might give me a reason to play SRV's 'Tick Tock' more often...:)

Was yours the one that had the unbalanced piezo that needed returning? Strings from the factory were supposed to be .010-.046s, with an unwound G. Not sure, but your wound G may have been the case for the loud G piezo...? I'd definitely look into this, because it speaks volumes about what strings will work vs. not...

No mine was a private stock build - NGD thread..

I like to think the PS team is perfect, so I can't imagine they put a wound G on by accident. ;)

No mine was a private stock build - NGD thread..

I like to think the PS team is perfect, so I can't imagine they put a wound G on by accident. ;)

The post I remember was regards a SE HBII Piezo whose G-string piezo was much louder than the remaining piezo pickups. @Shawn@PRS posted an image of the internal trim pot for the piezo, displaying the universal trim pot, and stated that the SE model cannot trim individual piezo pickups like the core models.

The OP to that post said the G-String was louder and that he was returning the guitar to the retailer. I had hoped to suggest that a wound G-string may sound louder, compared to a stock unwound one. A simple string change may have prevented the guitar's unnecessary return to the retailer...

And congrats if I've not done so yet! Nice piece!

Last edited:
The post I remember was regards a SE HBII Piezo whose G-string piezo was much louder than the remaining piezo pickups. @Shawn@PRS posted an image of the internal trim pot for the piezo, displaying the universal trim pot, and stated that the SE model cannot trim individual piezo pickups like the core models.

The OP to that post said the G-String was louder and that he was returning the guitar to the retailer. I had hoped to suggest that a wound G-string may sound louder, compared to a stock unwound one. A simple string change may have prevented the guitar's unnecessary return to the retailer...

And congrats if I've not done so yet! Nice piece!

Ah, cool, I dig it. My biggest annoyance was that I tended to buy my PRS strings by the 10 pack, and none of them were wound G string. So, as of 3 days after getting my hands on the PS, it DOESN'T have a wound string. :D

Back