The One(s) That Got Away!

László

Too Many Notes
Hans' thread on the first and most recent PRSes got me thinking about the PRS or PRSes we owned at one time that in retrospect we wish we'd kept.

I can list a few, but I'd like to hear from everyone else.

What are the ones you really wish you had back, and why? And if you were able to buy back the guitar, would you do it?

There are two I would love to see again. My '92 purple CE24 was my first PRS. I loved that guitar for quite a while, but was lured into the other guitar I'd love to see again--my satin SC250. It was orange, but had a cool top, and I loved the satin finish. I traded that to get my 513, so I definitely don't regret that one. I outgrew the 250 pickups, but now I wish I could have it back and swap them for 53/10s.

I can't find a shot of the CE, but here's the SC250:
BluebirdSC250slide2.jpg

I just realized the cab behind me is from the first THD Bivalve I owned. THAT amp got away, and I recently replaced it with another. The current one will NEVER get away.

Last edited:
My first PRS was an amber Artist II. I sold it to pay some medical bills, and I would buy it or another just like it in a heartbeat.

My first PRS was an amber Artist II. I sold it to pay some medical bills, and I would buy it or another just like it in a heartbeat.

The Artist II that got away is one of my regrets! Mine was #32, Teal Black.

The only PRS is that ever got away from me was this 1998 Royal Blue CE24 that had beautify faded to blue jean color. I had two CE24's and needed to sell some gear to help finance the purchase of our first home. At first I put up my Scarlet Red CE24 but got no bites. So I reluctantly put up my Faded Blue CE24. I had bought the guitar on ebay for $799 and sold it for $1150. A year and a half after I sold it the buyer listed it on ebay and I though about buying it back but the bidding hit well over $1500 and couldn't buy it back. The guitar color was very unique, as it looked different depending on the lighting. The first two pics I took. The third pic is from the auction I purchased it from and the last pic is from the auction that I didn't win to get it back.

fadedblue.jpg

76_1.jpg

The Mira on the right here got away...

IMG_1612.jpg

But that's all right, I eventually replaced it with an even better Mira. I like the dark brown mahogany stain above better, but this one sounds better. Plus, the rarity of a Mira with old birds just adds to the cool factor.

IMG_20130109_183638-1.jpg

Not one I've owned, but one that I've seen for sale twice and missed. Will post a pic when I get home. It haunts me.

There are plenty I've sold that I'd like to have back. But I was waaaay too involved in "collecting" vs playing.

I still have too many guitars to give them all the attention they deserve...

Jamie

Besides the Artist II in the pic above (whose current owner turned out to be a friend of one my my close buddies, who still has it and says he will never sell!), here are some of the super-great sounding electric guitars that I wish I had hung onto:

Stripped 58, Vintage Burst. Still the best sounding Singlecut guitar from any maker I've had, going back to the late 60s. Wonderfully resonant lumber! What was I thinking? I don't even remember, and it was only a couple of years ago.

CU22 Semi-Hollow Ltd., Charcoal Burst. Sold to fund a wild goose chase for a piece of studio gear I didn't keep. Not only sweet sounding as could be, but also gorgeous...

1991 Custom, Cherry Burst. My first PRS, picked out new at the dealer pretty much the day it arrived. It was a wonderful sounding instrument, and beautiful to look at, too. Light and resonant. So of course I traded it in on the Artist II a couple of years later! I should have kept both!

And rounding out the list of my madman mistakes...McCarty RW Soapbar, from a NAMM show in the mid-2000s. You can imagine how good this one was for PRS to take it to NAMM. It was perhaps the most versatile of any of my P-90 guitars.

I've had quite a few others that were darn nice, but these really stand out as among the best PRSes I've owned!

Honorable mention goes to the SC58 I sold only a couple of months back with the idea that I wasn't using it enough. Yes, of course I miss it! I started missing it within a week after the sale. And try to find one with 53/10s now.

As it stands, I have only two PRS electrics, the Sig Ltd and Artist V. If any of you ever see me selling either one of these, no matter how I rationalize it, please do this:

1. Tie me to a chair, and put duct tape over my mouth, in a padlocked room from which I cannot escape.

2. Put on a record of Ethel Merman belting "I Had A Dream" from the broadway show Gypsy. Play it loud, and put it on infinite repeat for 48 hours.

3. After 48 hours, my brain should be melting and coming out of my ear holes. At this point, take the Ethel Merman record off, and put a recording of a jackhammer on endless loop for 72 hours.

4. By this time I will be grasping at what very fine thread of sanity is left, desperate for a single thought that doesn't make me go completely over the edge. It is at this point that I must be told, "Do not sell your instruments."

Last edited:
8948967011_9527752e5d_o.jpg

This is the 1st owner. We couldn't come to an agreement on price. After I bought something else he offered a price I would've paid:dontknow:
A month or so ago it showed up at Brian's guitars(I think) - I called to see if they had it, but gone.:bawling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Two - maybe three...

Two no brainers:

PS#935 - Will probably never be able to afford another PS. NEVER should have sold it:

PSHBincasewhole.JPG

Standard Studio 22 with birds - when's the last time you saw one of these???

StudioBody2.JPG

Third - my first PRS was a Custom 22 trem, 10 quilt with birds - in gray/black quilt similar to vchizzle's above - killer top! Lost my pics of that one in a PC crash years ago...

Back