The Official "Singlecut 594" Love Thread!!

I'll just leave this here then! Enjoy!

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg
Flamey

Thanks guys, I love it. I had to sell the blood orange 10 top I had to get this one but it's the finish I wanted all along. Plus its a wood library model which is always a bonus. The maple neck sounds really good, I must admit that I prefer the maple neck on these models they just sound a little better to me. I have a DC also and that has a maple neck as well.

I was thinking of replacing some of the hardware on my SC and quite liked the hybrid gold and nickel finish you get on the 10 top's. I'm wondering why PRS never put the hybrid hardware on the wood library ones as well? Anyway what I want to replace is the pickup switch ring to gold the pickup pole pieces to gold and also the tuner buttons if possible. I can see PRS have a gold hardware kit and wondered if all those arts are included? I can't seem to find any gold tuner buttons here in the UK from PRS Europe or any stores. I'm guessing there aren't any at the moment?

I don't believe this has anything to do with PRS. 'Wood Library' is a run of guitars to the dealer's specifications.

Kevin

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I know dealer's usually do that but this one was at the PRS dealer auction that was held recently, that's where my dealer got it from so it wasn't spec'd by himself or anything.

In case anyone's interested, more of my 594 here in this video r comparing it vs. my classic Singlecut. cheers

Great video, Utkarsh!

You did a good job editing the video so we could hear the SC 594 sounds right next to the Les Paul sounds.

This video reinforces some thoughts I have on the SC 594 versus Les Paul's. I have owned many really good Les Paul's over the years, most of them Custom Shop Historics. Many of them sounded great! None of them PLAYED great ergonomically relative to an SC 594 (or any SC PRS), or had the fit and finish of even a Core PRS. But the main thing for me that really wins me over with the SC 594 is the tone. Previous SC's (SC 245, SC Ted McCarty, SC 58) have not been at par with Les Pauls in general with the "Girth" of the tone, in my opinion. They were 90% there, but they always fell just a little short for me. I find that SC 594's do have that equal girth of tone but are more "Clear" and less "Muddy". Sometimes you can associate the muddiness of the Les Paul as thickness or girth to the tone, but somehow magically (to my ears, the SC 594's have that girth while still being more clear).

The Les Paul sounded GREAT, don't get me wrong. It sounded like a good Les Paul, which is about as good as it gets. But in comparison to the Les Paul, I almost always preferred the comparative SC 594 tone, more clear. Sure, a little brighter, but not really in a bad way. (I usually associate "Bright" with thin and not good. But in this case it means clear and sparkly.)

Anyway, great video, I appreciate you taking the time to do that! Congrats on your great new SC 594.

-Pete

I'll just leave this here then! Enjoy!

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Paul:

You broke down and bought it, good for you! It looks even better in your pics than it did on the dealer's Facebook post! That top and neck look amazing, the flame and the finish.

That guitar totally has a Peter Green vibe with that finish! I really want a McCarty Burst finished SC 594 to throw some "Out-of-Phase" pickups in to have the Peter Green look, sound and vibe going on. But I haven't found one in the US yet that floats my boat...

Congrats!!

-Pete

Thanks guys, I love it. I had to sell the blood orange 10 top I had to get this one but it's the finish I wanted all along. Plus its a wood library model which is always a bonus. The maple neck sounds really good, I must admit that I prefer the maple neck on these models they just sound a little better to me. I have a DC also and that has a maple neck as well.

I was thinking of replacing some of the hardware on my SC and quite liked the hybrid gold and nickel finish you get on the 10 top's. I'm wondering why PRS never put the hybrid hardware on the wood library ones as well? Anyway what I want to replace is the pickup switch ring to gold the pickup pole pieces to gold and also the tuner buttons if possible. I can see PRS have a gold hardware kit and wondered if all those arts are included? I can't seem to find any gold tuner buttons here in the UK from PRS Europe or any stores. I'm guessing there aren't any at the moment?

Thanks for your comments on the Maple Neck tone, I am curious to try one. (Kicking myself right now for not buying that one before you did!!) ;)

With regards to the Gold Hardware kit, it does include the Hardware to convert a Nickel outfitted 594 to "Hybrid" or "Mixed" Hardware, with the exception of the Tuner Knobs. I have done every Private Stock I have ever spec'ed (which is not a small number) with Hybrid Hardware, so I know it well. I just did this with my Private Stock SC 594 Prototype. I replaced the ring on the 3 way toggle, the nut on the output jack, and the four corner screws on the pickup rings, from the Gold Hardware kit. I also bought a set of 5815 L/T's with Gold Screws, from a friend who happened to have a set available. (I also plan to swap the Straplock Buttons to Gold.)

It looks good, IMO!

IMG_0740_zpsvusjgrfl.jpg

IMG_0742_zpspwpp1zoj.jpg

I haven't seen that the Gold Tuner Buttons are available, but I think if you did the Gold Hardware kit and did the Ivoroid Buttons (also available from PRS) that that would look fantastic on your guitar...

Is that just a core SC 594 with that neck?! Sweet!

It's a wood library model so maple neck, slightly better wood's I'm guessing for the body and top as well. It has an ebony fretboard as well I think the core models are rosewood. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Paul:

You broke down and bought it, good for you! It looks even better in your pics than it did on the dealer's Facebook post! That top and neck look amazing, the flame and the finish.

That guitar totally has a Peter Green vibe with that finish! I really want a McCarty Burst finished SC 594 to throw some "Out-of-Phase" pickups in to have the Peter Green look, sound and vibe going on. But I haven't found one in the US yet that floats my boat...

Congrats!!

-Pete

Thanks Pete, I did I broke down and bought it. I had to do it, when the finish you are looking for turns up out the blue I couldn't resist it. It's a shame I had to lose the blood orange one I actually liked that finish quite a bit. I'd of kept both if I could. If you ever do get a McCarthy burst and want that Peter Green sound. You might consider putting some Bare Knuckle pickups in. They do a PG set (Peter Green) which sound really good. I have them in my les paul.

I'v asked the guys at PRS over here in Europe I think I will get the gold hardware kit and replace the jack nut and the pickup ring. Maybe PRS can help me with the gold pole pieces for the pickups and the tuner buttons. If not then I was gonna replace them with the white ones anyway I did the same on my DC. You must of read my mind lol. So the kit doesn't come with the pickup pole piece screws then?

Your PS proto looks gorgeous by the way! what a top on that. What finish do they call that?

Last edited:
Great video Utkarsh!
PRS has come a long way since the original SC. (I own an OG SC, which is a blaster, but does not sound like a Les Paul.) The 594 is there. Add in the fact that the PRS has world class design, ergonomics and parts, the 594 is a winner:)

Thanks Pete, I did I broke down and bought it. I had to do it, when the finish you are looking for turns up out the blue I couldn't resist it. It's a shame I had to lose the blood orange one I actually liked that finish quite a bit. I'd of kept both if I could. If you ever do get a McCarthy burst and want that Peter Green sound. You might consider putting some Bare Knuckle pickups in. They do a PG set (Peter Green) which sound really good. I have them in my les paul.

I'v asked the guys at PRS over here in Europe I think I will get the gold hardware kit and replace the jack nut and the pickup ring. Maybe PRS can help me with the gold pole pieces for the pickups and the tuner buttons. If not then I was gonna replace them with the white ones anyway I did the same on my DC. You must of read my mind lol. So the kit doesn't come with the pickup pole piece screws then?

Your PS proto looks gorgeous by the way! what a top on that. What finish do they call that?

The Gold Hardware kit does not come with the Pickup gold pole pieces. I am sure you can easily get those from any parts place. These might work from AllParts:

https://www.allparts.com/GS-5453-002-Pack-of-6-Gold-Humbucker-Pole-Piece-Screws_p_1890.html

For clarity re the Hybrid Hardware, 2017 594's with 10 Top's seem to be coming with Hybrid Hardware as standard, that seems to be new for 2017 594's. It seems that Wood Library 594's spec'ed in 2016 and built in 2017 are not by default coming with Hybrid Hardware.

Thanks re the complement on my PS SC 594 Prototype! I love it. The color is "Faded McCarty Glow".

It's a wood library model so maple neck, slightly better wood's I'm guessing for the body and top as well. It has an ebony fretboard as well I think the core models are rosewood. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

The Core Models are Indian Rosewood. The Wood Library ones can be whatever the Dealer selects, typically we have seen Ebony or Brazilian Rosewood. I have seen one dealer do Cocobolo on DC 594's (Wild West).

They can also select Rosewood or Maple Necks, or even Korina Necks, or Korina Necks and bodies. Righteous Guitars did a run of DC 594's with Korina Bodies and Necks with Brazilian Boards, they were AWESOME, I owned two but have since sold them as I have shifted my collection to be more SC-centric. Righteous Guitars does have a run of SC's on order as well with the Korina Necks and bodies. Moore Music Guitars has a run on order with Korina Necks and Mahogany bodies.

They also get to select the Bird inlay types, and typically most have been doing the Black Paisley Case upgrades. Willcutt Guitars has been doing theirs with Brazilian Boards and MOP Old Birds, I really like that combination, I like the Old Birds better than the "J-Birds". Quilt tops are available as well. All of these things can add cost, of course.

The dealers hand-select the tops and boards, and that top on yours was a GREAT choice, obviously!!

The Core SC 594's are great, but it is really nice to have these Wood Library options, with hand selected Tops and Boards! I am looking forward to (and very afraid of!) more Wood Library SC 594's showing up in US dealers. (Actually I am MORE afraid of more Private Stocks showing up in dealers, I have a harder time resisting those, apparently!!) :)

Back