The Official "Singlecut 594" Love Thread!!

Whoa! Yeah, that is different. I may like that shot better! :D

They actually called it Vintage Aqua. The other pic I have is in different lighting and it looks totally different.

7uCZNXr.jpg

Hi guys,

So I (finally) joined the fun. My 594 Singlecut arrived and I absolutely love it.

PRS-594-SC-1.jpg

Here's my current PRS stable (with Rufus checking out the collection):
  • 594 Doublecut
  • 594 Singlecut
  • P245 Semi-Hollow
  • Signature Limited
PRS-594-SC-2.jpg

Hi guys,

So I (finally) joined the fun. My 594 Singlecut arrived and I absolutely love it.

PRS-594-SC-1.jpg

Here's my current PRS stable (with Rufus checking out the collection):
  • 594 Doublecut
  • 594 Singlecut
  • P245 Semi-Hollow
  • Signature Limited
PRS-594-SC-2.jpg

Nice family! Love the finish on the SC594!

Beautiful guitars and cool cat. Please favor us with a comparison between the DC vs SC 594’s.

It's funny, I saw Chris Robertson (from Black Stone Cherry) posted a video in the PRS owners FaceBook group where he commented that he liked the Singlecut better but couldn't really explain why because he knew they're almost the same guitar. And so far I have to agree. Obviously neither of these are "the real thing" in that they where not made in the late 50's. And both of them try to capture the magic of late 50's Les Pauls. For me, the Singlecut gets closer and it's probably just down to looks and possible weight (a Les Paul is not supposed to be light).

To use an analogy, it's sort of like the Singlecut is like playing through a nice Marshall Plexi, and the Doublecut is like playing through an Axe Fx model of the same Marshall Plexi. The Axe Fx will sound the same (or probably better as most people are not as good at mic'ing cabs as the pro's creating IR's), feel the same and be consistent across whatever volume you want to play at and from one day to the next (this is also why I play my Ax8 with my band and live every time). For most people in most situations, it's the better choice. But every time you play it, you also know it's a computer generating the tone and not glowing tubes. It doesn't matter that it sounds the same or better. It just doesn't feel the same as playing through a nice tube amp because you know it isn't "real".

So to me, even though they are almost the same thing, the Singlecut has a certain something that is hard to describe and somehow just feels better. And the Doublecut being almost identical and at the same time lighter and a bit more comfortable to play with better high fret access. The are both awesome and you really can't go wrong with either one of them. If I had to pick at one at the moment I'd pick the Singlecut but luckily I don't have to choose :) The best choice is one of each, every time :)

Actually, out of my 4 PRS's, if I had to let one go, it'd probably be the Doublecut 594 at the moment. My Signature Ltd with its 408 pickups is just such a versatile beast to play in my covers band. And the P245 Semi-Hollow the same with its Piezo. Between the two of them there's really not anything I cannot play. I do prefer the neck shape of the 594's though so it may be that my "ultimate" guitar would be a 594 trem with 408 pickups and piezo. Maybe a private stock order at some time :)

Here's Rufus enjoying in the sun!

Rufus-in-the-sun.jpg

Thanks Johan! All of the handful of comparisons I’ve read are uniform in that they all speak to an ineffable something extra with the SC. I guess there is something to it.

Hey everyone, just getting back into playing here after a long time off, kids are old enough know I have a little time lol! Need a little help with a Champagne problem, I have a Strat, Tele, SG, LP...however have always longed for a PRS, and I am going to pull the trigger. Curious to thoughts on a 2014 Mark Tremonti US Made, its beautiful, Charcoal burst, like new condition and a fair deal...that said I play a little bit of everything from classic rock, blues, to 90's stuff, to heavier stuff...I want a guitar that does it all, am I going the wrong direction with the Tremonti? These 594 with the stop tail are pretty amazing looking and lots of positive reviews. Appreciate any feed back, this will be my first and only PRS for awhile so want to make the right purchase. Thanks in advance.

I want a guitar that does it all, am I going the wrong direction with the Tremonti? These 594 with the stop tail are pretty amazing looking and lots of positive reviews. Appreciate any feed back, this will be my first and only PRS for awhile so want to make the right purchase.

The Tremonti has a Pattern Thin neck, the 594 has a Pattern Vintage neck that’s fatter. The Tremonti comes with either trem or stop tail (you didn’t specify). The 594 has vintage flavored pickups, the Tremonti has more aggressive pickups.

Then there’s the question of Singlecut for the Tremonti, and either double or singlecut for the 594.

There are players who do it all, but I’ve never seen a guitar do it all without a player. And the players who do it all can do it all on just about anything. ;)

So...pick your poison!

Did anyone else notice that Pete is selling his beloved Prototype SC594 PS on Reverb???? I'm more stunned that I expected. I believe some called BS when he claimed it to be his forever guitar, but I wasn't so sure!
Still, a very tempting proposition, and it sounds like someone is going to get an amazing guitar!

Kevin

Did anyone else notice that Pete is selling his beloved Prototype SC594 PS on Reverb???? I'm more stunned that I expected. I believe some called BS when he claimed it to be his forever guitar, but I wasn't so sure!
Still, a very tempting proposition, and it sounds like someone is going to get an amazing guitar!

Kevin
Well, he had it for almost a year before putting it up for sale. That's basically forever for Pete in guitar years.

The one he is selling is NOT the one he made that claim on. It is the one that is like a clone of it - it is the one he referred to as the Rumble Seat gtr. The last I heard (maybe a week or two ago) he still has his #1 "lifer gtr". Not to say he eventually wont end up selling it;)

And you are right - having a guitar for a year for Pete IS a lifetime!!!

The one he is selling is NOT the one he made that claim on. It is the one that is like a clone of it - it is the one he referred to as the Rumble Seat gtr. The last I heard (maybe a week or two ago) he still has his #1 "lifer gtr". Not to say he eventually wont end up selling it;)

No, this is The One. He already let go of the Rumbleseat guitar (It's listed by another seller on Reverb now, so they're either flipping it or it's on consignment.)

I feel like Pete is breaking up with us. :p

Last edited:
Lol, this is what Pete does. He always goes in cycles and more power to him. So many different PRSi have made it through his hands this way. I’m sure he’ll be back someday.

No, this is The One. He already let go of the Rumbleseat guitar (It's listed by another seller on Reverb now, so they're either flipping it or it's on consignment.)

I feel like Pete is breaking up with us. :p

Garrett's correct, the beloved forever #1 is on the block.

yeah, I looked on reverb and could not believe my eyes.....:(

LP's are nice, I had one many years ago. It was a 1970's Gold Top that I traded for a pointy gtr with a Floyd. Then I played a PRS and there was no looking back. For me its like the LP is a 57 Chevy - nice sturdy solid and has its own thing.
A PRS is like driving a Ferrari - no substitute.

yeah, I looked on reverb and could not believe my eyes.....:(

LP's are nice, I had one many years ago. It was a 1970's Gold Top that I traded for a pointy gtr with a Floyd. Then I played a PRS and there was no looking back. For me its like the LP is a 57 Chevy - nice sturdy solid and has its own thing.
A PRS is like driving a Ferrari - no substitute.

Totally agree.

Back