The Official "Singlecut 594" Love Thread!!

While I'm still working through a number of specifications, I am happy to say that I do have an SC with a 594 neck in the works after Brian's (Brian Guitars) clinic last week. The top and the Honduran Rosewood neck pictured are one heck of a start...don't you think? Super excited to start a PS build and to have had a hand in selecting some of the woods in person...

IMG_2434.jpg

While I'm still working through a number of specifications, I am happy to say that I do have an SC with a 594 neck in the works after Brian's (Brian Guitars) clinic last week. The top and the Honduran Rosewood neck pictured are one heck of a start...don't you think? Super excited to start a PS build and to have had a hand in selecting some of the woods in person...

IMG_2434.jpg

That is going to be a stunner! I really want a SC594 after all of the 594 praise and after seeing MAPete's beauty that he shared with us.

Spectacular build yes it will be

Can't wait to see what color will dress this bubbly top

IMG_2434.jpg

Congrats, Chris!! I am so glad you are taking the plunge with me on the SC 594!

I was getting a little lonely on this thread, good to have some company! ;)

Killer one piece top, looks like one I would pick!

So I just noticed that it is one month ago today that I got this glorious SC 594 PS Prototype.

It is easy to get really excited about a new guitar, and then have that fade away over time. Not the case here, my excitement for and love of this amazing guitar is just as strong today as it was the day it arrived, if not more so! It still amazes me every day.

Last week I put some of my favorite pickups in there, and now it slays as the very best guitar ever for me even more!! (ThroBak Peter Green PG-102's, without the magnet flip, 8.6K Bridge, 8.2K neck.) Don't get me wrong, these 58/15 LT's are awesome pickups, the best Low Output PAF's I have ever heard, but I am not a Low Output PAF kind of guy.

It sounds, plays and feels incredible, I feel like I should stop buying new guitars, nothing will ever be better for me than this guitar. (But we all know I won't do that, it will have to be a fight for which one is number 2 to this one I guess!) ;)

Really glad to see others spec'ing these in Private Stock, I look forward to the reactions of people as more of these get out there.

I am so proud to have the first one!! :)

Has anyone done a side by side (or back to back!) comparison of the SC594 versus the SC58. Apart from the obvious differences of knob layouts i'd be interested to see the body shape, body thickness, carve differences etc then of course how they sound! The SC594 has coil splits presumably?

Cross-posting this here:

http://www.prsguitars.com/gom_november/

hero_large.jpg

straight1.png

My Singlecut 594 Private Stock Prototype I got about a month ago is hands-down the best guitar I have ever owned. MINDBLOWINGLY AMAZING!! (My avatar guitar.)

Mine is the "traditional" formula of Mahogany Body, Mahogany Neck, Maple Top, and Brazilian Rosewood Board.

This GOM is gorgeous, and a real collectors piece, love the finish, the birds and the Binding. But IMO this one won't get you those "Classic Singlecut" tones, with a Swamp Ash Body and a Maple Board. (It is not clear what the Neck wood is...)

I wondered if the November or December GOM would be a Singlecut McCarty 594. I will pass on this one as I want my DC and SC 594's to have that more classic wood formula.

I am actually a bit relieved, for the sake of my wallet (whew, dodged a bullet!), considering I have two PS 594's already (one DC and one SC) and three more in the oven (one coming soon from a March spec, and two next year from a September spec).

If this would have come out with the traditional wood formula, I likely would not have been able to resist adding one to the collection!! :)

Good to see the Singlecut McCarty 594 getting out there as a GOM guitar!!

Has anyone done a side by side (or back to back!) comparison of the SC594 versus the SC58. Apart from the obvious differences of knob layouts i'd be interested to see the body shape, body thickness, carve differences etc then of course how they sound! The SC594 has coil splits presumably?

I haven't had an SC 58 to compare it head-to-head to, but I did own several SC 245's, several SC 245 Ted McCarty's, 3 SC 58's and 3 Singlecut McCarty Private Stocks.

My thoughts:
  • I believe the SC 594 is significantly thicker than the SC 245's and SC 58's were. The Singlecut McCarty's (available in Private Stock only, in 2014 forward) were thicker. I believe this to be a hair thicker, or at least as thick as the McCarty Singlecut, so thicker than the SC 58 (and SC 245).
  • I think they have been playing with the thickness of the Maple top, so the Mahogany to Maple ratio, for the McCarty Singlecut, the McCarty 594 and the SC 594. I remember hearing or reading that somewhere.
  • Yes - The Singlecut 594 prototype does have coil splits. I was surprised when I found out that it did. But I guess they added that to the SC 245 a couple of years ago.
  • The bridge material is a different material than the SC 58, not sure what the SC 58's were made of, but I am sure that these are a new material. In fact, the production 594's are a different material than the GOM 594's, so it was still a work in progress as late as earlier this year.
  • The neck carve is beefier, I have in general found that to improve tone as well as feel.
  • Of course there is the bone nut.
  • And that magical scale length!

I liked my many SC 245's, SC Ted's, SC 58's and McCarty Singlecuts. My favorites were the McCarty Singlecuts. But this one is the best one yet, for me! I look forward to seeing/playing/owning more of these in the future...

@MA Pete thanks for the detailed comparison. I've been eying up a Core 594 but haven't had the chance to play one yet. I already own an SC58 and wondered how they would compare (aside from the obvious singlecut/doublecut differences) and now it looks likely the SC594 might become a core model given the success of the DC594! Jeez PRS are really giving making it hard to not want one!

Back