The Official "Singlecut 594" Love Thread!!

Pics of mine, as requested :D

Wow, that is really beautiful!! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Reminds me of my original Feb 2016 GOM DC 594 (long gone now), and my recent acquisition of the "Rumbleseat Prototype", same finish, "Vintage McCarty Burst", I believe it is called. But yours has a better top than both of mine! ;)

;)
Wow, that is really beautiful!! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Reminds me of my original Feb 2016 GOM DC 594 (long gone now), and my recent acquisition of the "Rumbleseat Prototype", same finish, "Vintage McCarty Burst", I believe it is called. But yours has a better top than both of mine! ;)

Hey, thanks Pete! :)

I have to say, that your original 594 DC GOM, had my favourite top/flame, of any 594 I've seen (which is a lot!). Whilst they are all unique, I thought that one was just a bit different than the norm for a PS top. I do like wide flame, hence pouncing on this SC.
Of course, how it sounds is the most important thing! ;)

Every time I've played an SC 594, against a DC, I've just felt that the SC wins on tone - just has slightly wider frequency spectrum. Probably only a 5% difference, but noticeable side by side.

;)

Hey, thanks Pete! :)

I have to say, that your original 594 DC GOM, had my favourite top/flame, of any 594 I've seen (which is a lot!). Whilst they are all unique, I thought that one was just a bit different than the norm for a PS top. I do like wide flame, hence pouncing on this SC.
Of course, how it sounds is the most important thing! ;)

Every time I've played an SC 594, against a DC, I've just felt that the SC wins on tone - just has slightly wider frequency spectrum. Probably only a 5% difference, but noticeable side by side.

With regards to your highlight above - I couldn't agree more, and that is a great way to articulate it. The DC 594 is an awesome model, so incredible to get those classic tones in that svelte package of a Doublecut. But the SC 594 tone, very consistently across the many I have sampled - WOW, killer, my favorite guitar model ever. Agree it is only like 5%, but there is something just so magical about it, the tone plus the feel.

I went from the biggest DC 594 fan on the planet to a raging SC 594 FANATIC in a matter of about six to nine months, since that darn SC 594 Prototype showed up in October 2016! Hard to believe I have no DC's and all SC's these days! ;)

With regards to your highlight above - I couldn't agree more, and that is a great way to articulate it. The DC 594 is an awesome model, so incredible to get those classic tones in that svelte package of a Doublecut. But the SC 594 tone, very consistently across the many I have sampled - WOW, killer, my favorite guitar model ever. Agree it is only like 5%, but there is something just so magical about it, the tone plus the feel.

I went from the biggest DC 594 fan on the planet to a raging SC 594 FANATIC in a matter of about six to nine months, since that darn SC 594 Prototype showed up in October 2016! Hard to believe I have no DC's and all SC's these days! ;)

I've loved my DC Artist 594, but my heart was always set on an SC 594 since they came out. So the DC is now up for sale, with my PS on the way. My other electric is an Eric Johnson Strat, so to really get the most separation in this guitar from that (tone and looks) it really makes a difference to me. On top of that, have always dreamed of a Private Stock and this guitar I've bought checks every box for the SC594 I was searching for, including vintage McCarty Burst which I couldn't get otherwise in a non-PS. And we wait....

I've loved my DC Artist 594, but my heart was always set on an SC 594 since they came out. So the DC is now up for sale, with my PS on the way. My other electric is an Eric Johnson Strat, so to really get the most separation in this guitar from that (tone and looks) it really makes a difference to me. On top of that, have always dreamed of a Private Stock and this guitar I've bought checks every box for the SC594 I was searching for, including vintage McCarty Burst which I couldn't get otherwise in a non-PS. And we wait....

Pity about the CITES nonsense, as I fancy your DC Artist 594.....but I'm in the UK.

Agree it is only like 5%, but there is something just so magical about it, the tone plus the feel.

Yea, I went through this recently trying to decide between DC and SC - and finally found a shop where I could a/b them. And while you may say it's only 5-10% difference - maybe if you're just listening to what's coming out of the amp - there's a big difference in feel, just inherent with the neck meeting more of the body. It just adds a heftness that is pretty noticeable, even through YouTube comparison videos imho.

Needless to say, I'm happy with my SC choice - especially since, of all the PRSi I've owned, I've never had a singlecut. Now, in a perfect world, I'd also have a DC with some 59/09s in it! In fact, if they came out with a trem model, I may be too weak to resist getting my 594 a DC sister ;)

Yea, I went through this recently trying to decide between DC and SC - and finally found a shop where I could a/b them. And while you may say it's only 5-10% difference - maybe if you're just listening to what's coming out of the amp - there's a big difference in feel, just inherent with the neck meeting more of the body. It just adds a heftness that is pretty noticeable, even through YouTube comparison videos imho.

Great post, Skeeter! Well articulated, I completely agree. Part of the magic for me of the SC 594 versus the DC 594 is the difference in feel. It is the geometry and ergonomics, plus the way it resonates and sustains. I think sonically it is also the way it slightly differently breaks up through a Marshally amp, the way the overtones develop and sustain. Hard to put a finger on, but it is simply magical!! All six of my current SC 594's have it, each in its own special way...

I'm glad that I have the opportunity to own both the SC and DC variant. Sonically they are both great. The SC has more grunt, but only by 5% maybe. For me personally right now, I prefer the DC for the lighter weight and the ergonomics as it sits closer to the body and I can sit and play it for a longer period of time. I love to play both, I just can play the DC longer.

Well, I woke up this morning to an email that says they're preparing for shipment, so the whole 8 week thing above apparently was worst case, and maybe because of the factors I mention above in my "rant", someone somewhere told them "nah, you're good". And we wait.....

Apparently sales and order processing were communicating different things. (This is coming from Thomann in Germany, maybe it's the translation.) Anyway, while I've since discovered I need not apply for an "import" permit, they still need to apply for the re-export permit and they're saying that's 6-8 weeks in their experience. And so we wait...

By the way, my guitar's brother (sister?) is for sale there: https://www.thomannmusic.com/prs_mccarty_594_private_stock6521.htm

Yes, sorry, didn't notice the Brazzie comment earlier. This is Maddy Rosewood, as you suggest.

They say it could take up to 8 weeks to process the paperwork (read:acquire permits on both sides of the transaction), but hopefully they're just trying to keep me from emailing every 3 days asking where it is. Surely it will take less time, but, hey, lots less time than ordering a Private Stock from PRS! ;)

So, while I'm on CITES, how stupid is the whole thing. Here PRS has properly acquired the Rosewood, manufactured a finished guitar with it, and certified same with CITES permit when they shipped it to Europe. With me so far? So why in the heck can't that permit stay with the finished guitar in the dealer's possession, then transfer to me as the consumer? Why the completely new re-exporting and re-importing paperwork, re-permitting exercise? Isn't it the same finished guitar, with the same permit already approved and lineage? How is there any possible violation of CITES Appendix II regulations if nothing has been done to the finished guitar and it's basically "travelling around" in its finished state? So stupid.

Remember, the for every guitar manufacturer who has both hands on the table and is playing by the rules, there is another manufacturer (think Tennessee) who wil pretty much do what they want, until they get caught. The good have to be held as accountable as the sleaze balls. If you look at the furniture business, that`s where the real scumbags are. Rules are rarely written that say (except for specific manufacturers). Every time they close a loophole, another one is found.

Last edited:
Apparently sales and order processing were communicating different things. (This is coming from Thomann in Germany, maybe it's the translation.) Anyway, while I've since discovered I need not apply for an "import" permit, they still need to apply for the re-export permit and they're saying that's 6-8 weeks in their experience. And so we wait...

By the way, my guitar's brother (sister?) is for sale there: https://www.thomannmusic.com/prs_mccarty_594_private_stock6521.htm

Well, you've snagged one at a reasonable starting price, at least (assuming yours cost the same?) ;)

Well, you've snagged one at a reasonable starting price, at least (assuming yours cost the same?) ;)

Indeed! #winning

Since it'll be weeks, here's one more shot of mine, body shot this time...

35468976311_856dd063f0_o.jpg

Indeed! #winning

Since it'll be weeks, here's one more shot of mine, body shot this time...

35468976311_856dd063f0_o.jpg

Awesome! I love that finish on both the DC and SC 594's! Killer top as well.

Sorry to hear about the wait, this new SITES stuff for 2017 is really ridiculous...

A Forum member here asked me to post an update on my "always evolving" SC 594 collection.

I sold the killer Faded Vintage Yellow Willcutt's Wood Library SC 594 recently. That was a REALLY great one!! The cool thing is it went to a guy that I have known on the PRS forums for years, who was also a big SC and DC Ted fan. I was really happy it found a great home.

up0up6uqeicqk62urpdf.jpg

My Private Stock SC 594 Semi-Hollow in Tiger Eye is likely sold, I have a buyer coming over the weekend to get it. The SC 594 is really amazing in a Semi-Hollow, I plan to build another one to replace it, with my own selections of woods and inlays. The 5815 LT pickups sound OFF THE CHARTS in a Semi-Hollow guitar. They are great in the Solidbody guitars, but insanely awesome in a Semi-Hollow. (As they also were in my former DC 594 SH PS, now owned by dougstrummer).

zkxzgf46dmnd8fwozlu0.jpg

I have the Willcutt's Wood Library SC 594 in Tobacco up for sale now, at the usual places. That is another great one, killer top, and amazing tone.

ivuls8lre2yco6jrnetg.jpg

The reason I moved those great ones above is because I am evolving the collection to my 2 Prototypes and Private Stocks with the Knot Inlays, going forward. Here is the latest shot of my 3, the two prototypes and my "Birthday" Private Stock:

All three of them are truly amazing! My favorite is the bottom one, the Prototype I was fortunate to get in October, before they officially announced the model. It is the best sounding guitar I have ever owned.

The other two are fantastic as well. The top one has some one-off custom wound PRS PAF's that sound great, and the middle one has a regular 5815 in the bridge, and an LT in the neck. Great combination!!

I have a fourth one on order, a one-piece quilt topped one in Citrine Glow (an Orange Glow), that should be in by the end of the year.

I continue to be completely smitten with the SC 594, my favorite guitar model ever!!

Last edited:
Back