The Official "Singlecut 594" Love Thread!!

Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments!!

dig the figuring on the new one!

Yes, very vintage!! Love the mineral streaks. Eric C did a great job with the wood selection on this one to create a "vintage vibe" with the combination of the top and finish!

Wow that is nice! My favorite of your new ones. When you sell it next week, I might be interested.......

LOL, don't count on that with this one!!

All PRS short scale singlecuts should have Santana head stocks / Ted heads.

I am over that, I am happy with the PRS Headstocks on these...

Simply gorgeous!! When a Les Paul Custom wakes up in the morning or goes to bed at night, he looks at pictures of your guitar and tells himself, "THAT is what I want to be when I grow up!"

Ha! LOL, I like that!

New pickup day and more here as well!

Scored a set of 5815 LT's from Yankeebulldog, with Gold screws. This one is a Private Stock Prototype, but did not have Hybrid Hardware. I got a Gold Hardware kit and created Hybrid Hardware by swapping the 8 corner pickup ring screws, the ring on the three way, and the washer and nut on the jack. That with the new pickups creates a perfect Hybrid Hardware look. It looks "right" for me now, as a Private Stock, and looks killer IMO with that finish.

IMG_0740_zpsvusjgrfl.jpg

Holy shite, these particular LT's sound AMAZING in this guitar!! It brings my favorite guitar ever up a few more notches!!

Also have another one in for some work, turning the Goldtop into a "57" with some Kinman Humless Humbucker shaped P-90's. I don't have that one in my hands yet, but my tech says it sounds awesome! (I have another set of those in black that I have had in a couple of guitars, so I already know they are great pickups!)

IMG_0745_zpsvvomtmd6.jpg

Report on that one tomorrow.

(I think I need to dunk those pickup rings in a cup of coffee, LOL!...)

You're an animal, Pete! Mario's making a killing!

You think there's any way to get hands on a black bridge/tailpiece? Other than 2nd hand, that is.

You think there's any way to get hands on a black bridge/tailpiece? Other than 2nd hand, that is.

I have seen black ones on Private Stocks, not sure if they are available through the Customer Service folks as parts. I would check with them...

Curious about the Kinman "P90s", do let us know what you think!

Will do!

BTW - Did you buy the entire Willcutt SC594 WL run? I haven't seen any show up on their website yet you keep getting them.

To get on the website, they need to take pictures of them and post them. I just make sure to buy them BEFORE they get a chance to take pictures of them!! ;)

New pickup day and more here as well!

Scored a set of 5815 LT's from Yankeebulldog, with Gold screws. This one is a Private Stock Prototype, but did not have Hybrid Hardware. I got a Gold Hardware kit and created Hybrid Hardware by swapping the 8 corner pickup ring screws, the ring on the three way, and the washer and nut on the jack. That with the new pickups creates a perfect Hybrid Hardware look. It looks "right" for me now, as a Private Stock, and looks killer IMO with that finish.

IMG_0740_zpsvusjgrfl.jpg

Holy shite, these particular LT's sound AMAZING in this guitar!! It brings my favorite guitar ever up a few more notches!!

Also have another one in for some work, turning the Goldtop into a "57" with some Kinman Humless Humbucker shaped P-90's. I don't have that one in my hands yet, but my tech says it sounds awesome! (I have another set of those in black that I have had in a couple of guitars, so I already know they are great pickups!)

IMG_0745_zpsvvomtmd6.jpg

Report on that one tomorrow.

(I think I need to dunk those pickup rings in a cup of coffee, LOL!...)

Curious about the Kinman "P90s", do let us know what you think!

Okay, so pickup report with the 594's - a GREAT pickup tone day, the two above and one more were a HOME RUN!!

So the "new to me" 58/15 LT's in the SC 594 Private Stock Prototype are off the charts, amazing in that awesome low output PAF sort of way. Really bluesy but can totally rock with the right amp tone, but bluesy and vintage first and foremost, which is really important to me.

The lineage of pickups in that guitar (again, my favorite guitar ever) was the original 5815 LT's, then a set of ThroBak Peter Green PG-102's (best non-PRS PAF's I have owned) and then regular 58/15's (also amazing in this guitar). So the fourth set of pickups in that guitar, and by far the best, this particular set of 5815's is just mind-blowing in this guitar! I totally get the 58/15 LT's now, and I totally love them!

I couple of notes on the 58/15 LT's in the SC 594's. I started with many DC 594's, and in some they seemed a little lacking in the bridge, in others they were fine. In all of the SC's (5 of them so far), they were great, never a problem with the bridge being too weak. The extra mass of this model IMO is perfect for the LT versions of the 5815's. This particular guitar with this particular set? O...M...G!! Stellar...

One thing I will say about these 58/15 LT's is that they are very sensitive to pickup height. I think all PAF's are, but these ones IMO more so than usual. I highly recommend taking some time to pay around with the heights of both pickups, it has a huge impact on tone, and once you get it in the sweet spot, you know instantly, it kicks into another gear dynamically.

Second guitar - the Kinman Humless P-90's in the SC 594 Goldtop. I had another set of those in a b3 SL (another DC LP type guitar not too dissimilar from a 594), and later in my Tobacco DC 594, great pickups. But in the Goldtop, they are even better, again I think the extra mass of the guitar really gives them some extra mojo.

I am now pretty used to the lower output of the LT's, and the bridge P-90 pickup about ripped my face off when I first plugged it in, in a GOOD way, LOL... These things really rock hard, in a very vintage way, and still are very clear, as you would expect with a P-90 type pickup. They are VERY dynamic, and respond very well to being turned down to clean up, more so than most pickups, they still sound great at like 3-4. They blend very well in the middle position in the 3-way.

The neck pickup gives fat creamy lead tones that are super clear, and then also with the volume rolled down gives great clean rhythm tones. I could definitely see doing the trick live to use the neck rolled down on the volume for rhythm guitar, and just flip the toggle down to tear into a solo...

They are very different than the LT's, and given I have a couple other SC 594's with the LT's, it is great to have something very different, but still very true to the vintage vibe of this awesome model. I may just have to get a PS SC 594 done with the Soapbar version of these P-90's in there!! ;)

Bonus 3rd guitar - The regular 58/15's that were in the Private Stock went into the Tobacco DC 594. That guitar was in my Apartment in CA, but came home as the Tobacco SC 594 is now out there. Sounds amazing with those in there! They were great in the SC Prototype, but I sort of feel that the LT's are better in the SC's and the regular 58/15's are better in the DC's. (Shown below here with the stock 58/15 LT's in it.) I have had several sets of pickups in this one as well, the stock 58/15 LT's, the Black Kinman Humless P-90's, Lollar High Wind Imperials, and now the regular 58/15's. I like these 58/15's in this guitar the best of the 4 sets I have had in the guitar!

IMG_1011_zpsq612vtth.jpg

Not bad when you do three sets of pickups in one week, and you absolutely LOVE all three!! Good guitar Karma, I guess! ;)

Last edited:
I am exhausted after reading the updates and trying to keep up with all the swapping!

The GT how a REALLY cool and unusual vibe now - sugper interesting looking.

I love the new WL SC with that vintagey yellow but ESPECIALLY the sort of cherry back with it. (are there dibs on that one yet???)

Andertons finally puts up a video with Lee's new SC. And surprise visit from PRSh

I was watching that yesterday, I gotta admit The Captain's SC in the McCarty sunburst finish looks awesome! I was chatting to Lee yesterday via FB and he said my blood orange SC was the one he used in the Bernie Marsden vid they did back in nov last year. Bernie went with the charcoal burst finish in the end.

Hi everyone, I added a 10 Top in blood orange to my collection today. I trading in a couple of guitars to get it. Here's both my SC and DC together enjoy!

I was watching that yesterday, I gotta admit The Captain's SC in the McCarty sunburst finish looks awesome! I was chatting to Lee yesterday via FB and he said my blood orange SC was the one he used in the Bernie Marsden vid they did back in nov last year. Bernie went with the charcoal burst finish in the end.

Congrats, Paul! Two great looking guitars!

I am glad to see others having both an SC and a DC 594. I love both models *SOOO* much, my 2 favorite guitar models ever. The magical tone and feel is very similar, but also they both have their own personality as a model, and differences in feel, vibe and tone. I feel very honored and privileged to have the opportunity to own examples of each model.

And yes, The Captain's new SC looks great! Cool to see him so excited about the model.

Congrats, Paul! Two great looking guitars!

I am glad to see others having both an SC and a DC 594. I love both models *SOOO* much, my 2 favorite guitar models ever. The magical tone and feel is very similar, but also they both have their own personality as a model, and differences in feel, vibe and tone. I feel very honored and privileged to have the opportunity to own examples of each model.

And yes, The Captain's new SC looks great! Cool to see him so excited about the model.

Thanks Pete,

I plugged my SC into my rig last night for the first time while I had 5 minutes. I'll give it a proper play over the weekend. I'm loving' it the coil taps they are just excellent on those guitars. Feels great to play as well. I love both my SC and DC more so my SC at the moment but it's probably just cause its a new guitar but we shall see. It's strange really because my DC is a wood library model with a maple neck and I find the SC to be a bit more brighter especially with the coil taps on the bridge pickup. I'll compare more over the weekend but both guitars sound similar but are definitely not the same lol.

FYI! If anyone is interested the guys at GAK in Brighton have just had their delivery of 594SC's. They have a wood library model in burnt maple leaf maple neck and also one in autumn sky. If anyone is interested give Roy a call he will help you out.

Last edited:
Can we get some videos demonstrating your guitar's tone? By your, I mean everyone that has posted a picture of their SC. :):):):):):):):)

We need a video of those Goldtops in action, Pete!!!!! Dios Mio!!!!!

Apologies, Papagallos, but I don't do videos, unless they are from a band performance. And I am between bands right now... :)

I am surprised there are not too many demo videos of the SC out there yet. There are a few good ones, but I agree that more would be great.

Apologies, Papagallos, but I don't do videos, unless they are from a band performance. And I am between bands right now... :)

I am surprised there are not too many demo videos of the SC out there yet. There are a few good ones, but I agree that more would be great.

No apology needed. I completely understand. :):):)

And, yes, I am surprised as well about the lack of demo videos.

Back