The Official "Singlecut 594" Love Thread!!

Hey there, AaeCee! That was an epic day and evening we had in April of 2012, at PRS and at Paul's studio afterwards.

This one does indeed surpass that 2012 creation, for me. The very best of my many 245 scaled guitars were that Jade Glow creation spec'ed that day in 2012, and the Orange/Citrus Glow Singlecut McCarty I spec'ed in 2014.

DSC00091_zpsu0tcogtp.jpg

215102-1.jpg

Those were amazing guitars! The 594 scale in and of itself is a key part of it for me, I love that, so for me it is sort of comparing Apples and Oranges, and not really a fair fight for the 245's.

The SC 594 Prototype is for me the very best sounding and playing PRS I have played, for my tastes. Also it is not rough on the eyes at all. ;)

My McCarty 594's are all great, and I have some more 594's being built for me now, so this is a really special time for me in my ongoing experience of enjoying my guitar playing and my continually evolving and improving collection! :)
love this color

amazing 594.

Thanks!! The Prototype SC is an amazing instrument. I am getting some regular 5815's (not the LT's) put in there this week to try out in that one...

love this color

Thanks! That is "Jade Glow", and that was my favorite of many DC 245's. My new McCarty Glow PS 594 reminds me a lot of it, in looks and vibe (the thick flame and the glow finish), and in tone...

IMG_0563_zpsicssfcb3.jpg

0K, the 594 singlecut has arrived. I've had it for 5 days I've put it through its paces. It has its strengths and weaknesses. First off it is simply an amazing guitar. It has been dropped into the octagon (Referee is a Marshall JVM, all 5 Marshall amps in one unit) with a Les Paul classic.
A head-to-head battle. The Les Paul has the 59 PAF ( Pearly Gates), And comes in at 10.8 pounds, I have named it THOR, it is the God of thunder, it's the most powerful sounding guitar I have ever owned. It has push pull pots And is fantastically flexible and the single coil sounds are also amazing.

The 594 is coming in at 8.2 pounds, And has magic powers of its own. It can go places other guitars can't go. After one particular run I said to myself that was radd, Norrin Radd, Cosmic power rad. We'll see if that nickname sticks. The middle position is fantastic the single coil sounds I played for 2 hours and said if I never switch back to humbucker's this would be a great guitar. The touch sensitive String dynamics are just not found On other guitars. You can literally play the strings and get fantastic notes and sounds without fretting the strings, if you fret hard or soft you change the note To your taste, just simply amazing.
Amazing Tight power chords, Not quite as much power And depth as Thor, But very close it requires volume and gain knob twist.

Given all that I've already pulled the 58/15 LT out of the bridge, I have an old 59/09 Pick up Ready to go in.
But the wires do not seem to match I need some advice on which wires match the 58/15 solder points. The 5815 only has 2 wires, so I imagine the white wire is the same on both pickups and goes to the split pot. And the red and the Black wire go to the volume pot?

any advice appreciated who's put a 59/09 into the 594.
I tried to take a little bit better pictures it seems like it's a 9.9 top. Enjoying the transverse grain pattern.
FLaW9mK.jpg

9.9 back as well very nice piece of mahogany.
wu5enKO.jpg

Very dark rosewood fretboard.
4WUpVu3.jpg

9.9 top

cheers

Beauty! I like that you can still see the grain through the color. I am also interested in the answer to your pickups wire question. I also do not care for the bridge 58/15 LT and will replace mine with a Tremonti bridge, or a 57/08. I really like the neck pickup though.

Given all that I've already pulled the 58/15 LT out of the bridge, I have an old 59/09 Pick up Ready to go in.
But the wires do not seem to match I need some advice on which wires match the 58/15 solder points. The 5815 only has 2 wires, so I imagine the white wire is the same on both pickups and goes to the split pot. And the red and the Black wire go to the volume pot?

any advice appreciated who's put a 59/09 into the 594.
I tried to take a little bit better pictures it seems like it's a 9.9 top. Enjoying the transverse grain pattern.

cheers

Beauty! I like that you can still see the grain through the color. I am also interested in the answer to your pickups wire question. I also do not care for the bridge 58/15 LT and will replace mine with a Tremonti bridge, or a 57/08. I really like the neck pickup though.

I've got one of the 594's from Brian's run with the 59/09 in the bridge. Snapped a few quick picks. Not sure it'll help though. These appear to be two wire as well. The magenta braid is from bridge 59/09

20170214_114806_zpswybx8tor.jpg

20170214_114744_zpsmlevtm0g.jpg

20170214_114740_zpsfkrspqkh.jpg

20170214_114754_zpsxfaiqj42.jpg

I've got one of the 594's from Brian's run with the 59/09 in the bridge. Snapped a few quick picks. Not sure it'll help though. These appear to be two wire as well. The magenta braid is from bridge 59/09
Thanks that is slightly different than mine , My main braid goes to outer lug (yours is going to the center lug) and the same lug adds or feeds a new wire to the capacitor that goes to the split pot. The white wire must be the south start (?),
As I have read the red wire is the north finish and the south finish tied together.

I might throw the question into the other DC 594 love thread. that has several hundred users,

Thanks, all

Incoming!!!! Just so you know, I take no pleasure in this, and I don't feel that I share any blame either... (all your faults)
Now, for time to stand still for several days.......

Kevin

Incoming!!!! Just so you know, I take no pleasure in this, and I don't feel that I share any blame either... (all your faults)

Kevin

Aawwwwww yeah!!!!!!!!!! I'll gladly share the blame! :)

And, your "time stand still" comment has put me "In The Mood" for some Rush (see what I did there!)

Kevin

Don't make us wait long :confused: The core NGDs have been few and far between lately :(

I took ownership of a new rosewood neck 594 last week. It also came on the same UPS dolly with a mint 2004 CU22 rosewood neck from eBay on a different buy! What a day that was.

I really like my bridge PU. Maybe it could rock harder but like many I find the single coil sounds really warm with bloom.
I like it for the middle positions and wonder if the more compressed woolier 57/08 would negate some of those LT tones?

I got the braz board with rosewood neck and that carve is amazing. So subtle. I love how they took off a little wood up in the fret to body joint. Amazing!

I wish I had the Marshall amps that you guys have but I am a 61 year old CA Fender guy from way back.
But through my 20 watt, large cab, 1 X 12 combo, Tone King with 5 knob reverb and 3 knob trem it is really knocking me out.
I sometimes run stereo to a Port City large cab just to feel a different kind of air move.

The sustain and harmonics off of the odd fret nodes portend to be amazing after the few "opening up" years that lie ahead.
This could be my first heirloom instrument in a long time?
Mine weighs 8lbs 1 oz and the rosewood neck finish is so much better than the typical V12 for me. No finger print accumulation.
I have to play this more and more and learn all the 4 controls better. Fun!

I look forward to hearing about the 09 and 08 replacement tones especially the mid and split tones after a rockin PU is put in.

Congratulations Tip, On your addiction and your overdose. There is a one a day rule for PRS guitars.
Your comments Sound familiar with my observations too.
It's rare that a guitar gives you tones that you appreciate and surprise with very little work, As I usually have to work a fair amount to coax the tones from the guitar.
Yes indeed those low output pickups have some amazing character with that 24.594 Inch scale
3/32" longer makes such a difference.
The other thing that I forgot to mention was how much I love the jumbo frets. I have had to re-fret so many guitars with jumbos. I definitely struggle with small frets, these flattened down leveled jumbos are PRS's genius again at work.
I've already decided that the 59/09 is going to have to come back out. It's definitely a very workable Combination though, The middle position is interesting, a very stereo effect, you can literally hear the 2 pickups trying to blend with each other. It is an opportunity for unique string muting dynamiics. I actually think that was a great part of the magic of the previous set up, the 2 identical pickups Sensing different parts of the string created the very interesting tonal synergy (telecaster like).
So I think MA Pete Has a very good idea With putting the high winds, i.e. identical 58/15's in both positions, Can't wait to hear how that goes.

While it is quite Impressive and satisfying on the high gain channel, I feel like I gave up too much of that character you just described. I've tried the 59/09 (output resistance 9.24 k ohms) in about 3 or 4 different positions raising and lowering the pickup, to see if I can get some of the low gain pick dynamics back. The single coil is okay, Very solid, (Played The Who I can see for miles and miles very authentically) the LT however is borderline spectacular. Rolling the volume down on the 59/09 not nearly as satisfying as the LT, It seems like some of the important mids disappear. This is a classic case of gaining value at one end of the spectrum while losing value on the other end. It's a tough decision, I feel like I've improved it on one hand and then I dial it down a little feel like oh I lost a little on the other hand. I don't want to get too far away from the designers intent for this guitar. So I've ordered the 85/15 that should be a much closer match to the neck pickup. 7.8 k ohms
It seems to be the classic problem of a higher gain pickup, it compresses the volume and tone, the pick attack is muted. I do have to admit that I was able to add some sparkle back in with my exotic effects EP booster, it actually seems to save the pickup, Some of the pick attack comes back. I'm re-learning that one guitar Cannot do everything under the sun, I've learned it 23 times. I do want to let this guitar Do what it does Best use it for the range it performs best in. Let the God of thunder do what it does best. So I should get the 85/15's this weekend.
See if that compromise works, I have no problem putting the LT back in. There are some real magic tones in there.
So I saw somebody was already putting dibs on the 58/15LT, but I think I better keep it, for a while anyway.
bMV8dPC.jpg

Congratulations Tip, On your addiction and your overdose. There is a one a day rule for PRS guitars.
Your comments Sound familiar with my observations too...

I've been watching those pups on reverb for a while haha. good buy

Autumn sky DC came up a few weeks ago, brand new, on reverb. I think it's sold relatively quickly. Low and behold, she came back. This time 600 dollars cheaper than before.

Autumn sky is one of my favorite finishes, so I thought I'd let you guys know. It seems like a sweet deal.

https://reverb.com/item/4323334-pau...t-594-mccarty-10-top-2016-autumn-sky-sunburst

Edit: meant to say SC not DC. I do that more often than I'd care to admit.

Last edited:
Autumn sky DC came up a few weeks ago, brand new, on reverb. I think it's sold relatively quickly. Low and behold, she came back. This time 600 dollars cheaper than before.

Autumn sky is one of my favorite finishes, so I thought I'd let you guys know. It seems like a sweet deal.

https://reverb.com/item/4323334-pau...t-594-mccarty-10-top-2016-autumn-sky-sunburst

You better do it quick, every base model I looked at, and wanted, was gone in less than 5 days, the near 10 tops for $3600 are vaporized, gone, especially with the clear mahogany backs exposed. Post a pic and it is gone.
beautiful specimen.
Cheers

Showing some love to the love thread;

I have installed The 85/15 treble pickup :p Love love love love.
I can't even believe it the 59/09 had some good and some positive.
The 85/15 is absolutely nothing but 110% positive, I don't lose a single thing on the low gain settings.
But the crunch And the heavy rock Are astonishing. I'm just sitting here asking myself how, how can this be, how can this pickup be so perfect. I've always preferred uncovered pickups so I'm glad that I have the uncovered in the bridge just beautiful attack and note separation.
In this perfect guitar with a perfect neck pickup.
Single coil bridge perfect, any Jimi Hendrix I want, pete townsend
Single coil neck and bridge center position Telecaster sounds percussive bubbles like David Gilmour.
Single coil neck just fantastic all along the watchtower solos.
Bridge humbucker power slash 80s rock awesome ZZ Top, White wedding sounds so good.
bridge and neck humbucker more control of EQ rhythm guitar volume knobs awesome.
Neck humbucker Santana beyond perfect. Gilmore strat sounds nailed HOW? Crazy
Love love love SC 594
And she is simply gorgeous
b14gNfk.jpg

I think the uncovered pickup fits right in
JxwSMqP.jpg

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now with joy and happiness.

Great report, Ironwolf!!

I had covered 5815's put in my SC Prototype this week, I also find them to be absolutely amazing!

What did you get for resistance when you measured the 5815 bridge?

Well? Are you getting it???? You know you want to.......

Kevin

You better do it quick, every base model I looked at, and wanted, was gone in less than 5 days, the near 10 tops for $3600 are vaporized, gone, especially with the clear mahogany backs exposed. Post a pic and it is gone.
beautiful specimen.
Cheers

I always forget how strong the peer pressure is on this forum ;)

I became the proud owner of an new Black Gold Burst SC-594 finish a few weeks ago, through Sweetwater. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that Black Gold Burst finish!!!!! It is such a cool, unusual finish that it really stands out. For those who don't like a black back, well, I understand. But, honestly, I'm not so sure it is solid black on the sides and back. It looks more like the dark burst stain from the front, wrapped around to the back. My wife I both believe we can see a hint of the red mahogany through the black. Regardless, the flame on the front really pops.

This is my first foray in owning a PRS and it looks like I picked an excellent way to take the plunge. The SC 594 is an incredible guitar in a personal stable that includes two Gibson Les Pauls, a USA-made Tele and USA Strat, a Martin D-35 and an Epiphone 339. The quality and attention to detail on this PRS exceeds any of the above. It is an incredible guitar and super versatile.

Of course, whichever finish you run with will not have any effect on tone, so .... go with what pleases your eye the most.[/QUOT.
I hate to break this to you. According to ancient scrolls found in the Chesapeake Bay, miraculously close to Stevenville, Md, blue guitars sound better. Toothace has also seen the the antediluvian tomes. Plus, you can`t argue if you don`t know what i`m sayin`

Back