The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

prs-silver-sky-scaled.jpg

Something showed up from Righteous Guitars by UPS!!!
Nice!

I got my new Silver Sky yesterday evening and played it until bedtime. My fingers are kind of sore! I really REALLY like this guitar and will post some pictures later today. Oh, I only slept about 5 1/2 hours because I woke up thinking about that Silver Sky and couldn't go back to sleep. I'm having coffee now and it's about 6:40 AM. I live in a tiny house and everyone is asleep so I have to wait patiently for others to wake up before I can play it again.

No you don't. You're clearly excited - they should share in that joy! :cool:

Congrats!

Been wanting to get a Frost White Silver Sky but wondering if the color will yellow over time. I personally don't want that to happen so have been holding off untill I can find out if if will stay white. Guitar looks great Paddy

4-AFA58-FB-ECF3-4-F57-9953-AAC4701-BE8-C8.jpg
Great guitar Paddy! I just got mine in myself and I love the maple fretboard and natural feeling maple neck. This beauty sounds like what I wanted my American Fender Strat to sound like and stays in tune…couldn’t be happier. I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying the new axe as much as I am.

Been wanting to get a Frost White Silver Sky but wondering if the color will yellow over time. I personally don't want that to happen so have been holding off untill I can find out if if will stay white. Guitar looks great Paddy
My 2018 Frost Silver Sky hasn't yellowed. The body is Poly and the neck is Nitro. The new ones have a nitro body now so that could yellow but probably not for a long time.

My 2018 Frost Silver Sky hasn't yellowed. The body is Poly and the neck is Nitro. The new ones have a nitro body now so that could yellow but probably not for a long time.
Thanks for the info. I actually contacted PRS and they claim that it shouldn’t yellow either as it’s designed not to. Thanks again,
I appreciate your feedback.
Cheers

What’s better than Dodgem Blue? Dodgem Blue with a pearloid pickguard!

This guy just arrived on Monday. I agonized for a bit on pre 2020 model vs new for a while after reading up on various comments about neck profile and pickup changes. In the end I went with a new one from Wildwood so that I could choose one with the neck depth that I preferred, since even within the two different profile types, there appeared to be significant variations due to the nature of how they’re hand sanded. This one ranges from .83 at the first fret to .95 at the 12th and comes on the lighter side at 7,11 pounds. With the newer rounded shoulder profile on the rosewood models, this feels like a nice C shape and size that seems near identical to the pattern regular profile on my Vela. Certainly not the high-shouldered baseball bat I’ve read about in some reviews of the original profile.

I had a MIM Strat that I bought in the mid/late 90s that I beat the heck out of with the band that I was in at the time. For a long time afterwards it didn’t get used as I moved onto other things. I eventually sold it off 10 years ago. This brings back memories, but it’s so much more. Now, it could be if I tried a current USA made Fender, I might have the same reaction vs the memory of the old Mexistrat, but I’m fully happy with the SS, so why bother?:)

That being said, out of the case it wasn’t 100% perfect for me. After mainly playing shorter scale length for a couple of decades now and the effects of age, I felt the strings were a little higher tension than I’m comfortable with nowadays. I dropped it down to a set of 9s and now it feels similar to the 10s on the 25” scale guitars. I also felt that there was way too much tension on the trem holding it firmly down on the body - even before the string swap. I didn’t necessarily want it to float, but I also didn’t want to feel like I had to put a ton of weight on my wrist to get it to move. I pulled one of the three springs and now it’s just right. It’s still solid against the body and doesn’t rise when I’m bending the heck out of the strings, but the effort required to push is now on par with my guitars equipped with the standard PRS trem.

Oh, and that pickguard came from a seller on Reverb called “Silver Sky Mod Shop.” It fit perfectly and is very well done!

Last edited:
Minor thread bump...

I've played my Midnight Rose with maple FB Silver Sky off and on since I got it, gosh, three years ago? (EDIT: I just checked when I posted my NGD thread - I got it on 6 July 2020, so yeah, three years ago almost to the day!)

The whole time I accepted that the feel was different from my Mexi-Strat because JM prefers his trem decked, and apparently with pretty firm spring resistance.

Today I decided to try to reduce the spring resistance, at the very least, to get it to where it "feels" more like what I'm used to.

I decided the quickest way was to simply remove one of the springs in the trem cavity. The "claw" end was easy enough to pop off, but the end that goes into the bridge block was more difficult (I eventually got it out using pliers, but dang... There is a slight kink in the spring wire at the end that definitely causes a good amount of resistance - those springs are never going to "fall out").

By removing a spring (but not touching the claw screws), the trem stopped being decked. Oh, cool, I can actually get a bit of lift if I need, vs down-only from being decked.

The resultant intonation wasn't horrible, but still needed a tweak because the saddle peaks are leaning a bit further "forward" - half turn on each saddle screw, more or less. (I adjusted after loosening the strings, one at a time.)

I didn't raise the knife-edge screws - the trem ends up not too far off level - and I also didn't need to tweak the saddle heights.

After a bunch of tuning to get the system stable, it it just like any other PRS trem - exactly that, "stable".

Now I have my Silver Sky playing like I like it - just played through the intro to Sorrow (Floyd) a few times, with Gilmour's lovely trem work and string bends, and it is "just about right". I don't pull the trem up much, but I like a little. Guitar feels much more familiar to me now, and I don't feel like I'm having to use as much force to bend the strings. (I have no idea why that is the case, it really shouldn't be, string tension is string tension, but I cannot deny that it does feel "easier".)

Last edited:
Minor thread bump...

I've played my Midnight Rose with maple FB Silver Sky off and on since I got it, gosh, three years ago? (EDIT: I just checked when I posted my NGD thread - I got it on 6 July 2020, so yeah, three years ago almost to the day!)

The whole time I accepted that the feel was different from my Mexi-Strat because JM prefers his trem decked, and apparently with pretty firm spring resistance.

Today I decided to try to reduce the spring resistance, at the very least, to get it to where it "feels" more like what I'm used to.

I decided the quickest way was to simply remove one of the springs in the trem cavity. The "claw" end was easy enough to pop off, but the end that goes into the bridge block was more difficult (I eventually got it out using pliers, but dang... There is a slight kink in the spring wire at the end that definitely causes a good amount of resistance - those springs are never going to "fall out").

By removing a spring (but not touching the claw screws), the trem stopped being decked. Oh, cool, I can actually get a bit of lift if I need, vs down-only from being decked.

The resultant intonation wasn't horrible, but still needed a tweak because the saddle peaks are leaning a bit further "forward" - half turn on each saddle screw, more or less. (I adjusted after loosening the strings, one at a time.)

I didn't raise the knife-edge screws - the trem ends up not too far off level - and I also didn't need to tweak the saddle heights.

After a bunch of tuning to get the system stable, it it just like any other PRS trem - exactly that, "stable".

Now I have my Silver Sky playing like I like it - just played through the intro to Sorrow (Floyd) a few times, with Gilmour's lovely trem work and string bends, and it is "just about right". I don't pull the trem up much, but I like a little. Guitar feels much more familiar to me now, and I don't feel like I'm having to use as much force to bend the strings. (I have no idea why that is the case, it really shouldn't be, string tension is string tension, but I cannot deny that it does feel "easier".)
Same here. I played mine for a few months before finally floating the bridge just a bit. I tried to remove a spring but it wouldn’t come out. On my next string change I went to a set of 9s and loosened the trem claw springs just a little. The guitar plays so much better now. Just like you said it’s not as stiff and I like it a lot better.

Back