The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a PRS Silver Sky Arctic Frost from 2018 used. The bridge and string saddles are unfortunately already a bit tarnished. But all other metal parts are in very good condition. In my country the price would be 800€ under new price.
The Silver Sky comes from an estate, I got a picture of the frets and wonder: Do they look like this normally? I have already read that it has flat frets, but in the picture they look almost played down. For comparison I have a PRS CE22 from 2006 that has been played regularly. While there are slight signs of wear, they are still rounder than this Silver Sky.

And another question: Do you have information about new SS SE colours? I just want a white or black guitar, so it all comes down to the core model.

hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a PRS Silver Sky Arctic Frost from 2018 used. The bridge and string saddles are unfortunately already a bit tarnished. But all other metal parts are in very good condition. In my country the price would be 800€ under new price.
The Silver Sky comes from an estate, I got a picture of the frets and wonder: Do they look like this normally? I have already read that it has flat frets, but in the picture they look almost played down. For comparison I have a PRS CE22 from 2006 that has been played regularly. While there are slight signs of wear, they are still rounder than this Silver Sky.

And another question: Do you have information about new SS SE colours? I just want a white or black guitar, so it all comes down to the core model.
From that year the Silver Sky does have smallish vintage Fender style frets. They shouldn't be flat though.

Not unless the guitar has been played so much that they required a fret leveling and then the frets were not recrowned to make them round again. If the guitar is heavily tarnished then maybe it really has been played so much that the frets are flatter than normal.

The frets of the CE22 would be larger, rounded and more like a medium Gibson fret.

In terms of the SE Silver Sky in white, here's mine in what they call Moon White. It's a beautiful ivory color.

Personally, I prefer the neck, frets and more modern fingerboard of the SE. It feels and plays more like my own CE22 or my Gibson guitars.

The 8 1/2" fingerboard radius seems closer to 9" and it makes blues and rock string bending easier and I can get more meat under the strings when I do really wide bends.

The pickups on the SE are excellent! Comparable to the USA pickups but not quite as vintage accurate of a sound. Very slightly hotter. But they are excellent.

However, I changed the pickups on my SE's, solely because I've been using Seymour Duncan Antiquity Surfers and Chubtone '61 pickups in my Strats for a long time and I really like that sound. So I put them in my SE Silver Skys too.

Last edited:
unfortunately, no one can answer this question for me, since it comes from an estate as described.

From a German Silver Sky user, however, I got the answer that his frets look the same after moderate play and he considers that normal.

I just took a look at the frets on mine, and they look pretty similar. Sometimes the way the light hits them makes them look flatter or rounder, but they looked very similar to what you're seeing. And that's a great deal, even on a well-used guitar.

For others who have them, I read some literature that says the trem is flush with the body, are yours set up that way?

Mine is not. It's resting against the body, but the screws / knife edge are set up so that it could float a bit (which I do not want).

I'm wondering if PRS changed their default setups, possibly due to people wanting floating options being easier than having to adjust all the screws and add shims to the neck.

This guitar is amazing, no way I'm sending this one back. Has anyone else here changed the trem setup on one of these? Anything to look out for on the SS in particular? I've done adjustments on these 6-screw PRS (or at least a Mann Made one that's in my kit guitar), so I know the normal caveats there.

For others who have them, I read some literature that says the trem is flush with the body, are yours set up that way?

Mine is not. It's resting against the body, but the screws / knife edge are set up so that it could float a bit (which I do not want).

I'm wondering if PRS changed their default setups, possibly due to people wanting floating options being easier than having to adjust all the screws and add shims to the neck.

This guitar is amazing, no way I'm sending this one back. Has anyone else here changed the trem setup on one of these? Anything to look out for on the SS in particular? I've done adjustments on these 6-screw PRS (or at least a Mann Made one that's in my kit guitar), so I know the normal caveats there.
My SE came that way but I adjusted it to float. The tone is deeper and more solid non-floating which is probably why they come that way. They sound better in the showroom. But they are easily adjusted to float if that's what you prefer and my SE stays in tune beautifully.

I didn't NEED another guitar but I bought one anyway...gets here Wed, hope I like it!

CTIE81854-front-xlarge.jpg.auto.webp

My SE came that way but I adjusted it to float. The tone is deeper and more solid non-floating which is probably why they come that way. They sound better in the showroom. But they are easily adjusted to float if that's what you prefer and my SE stays in tune beautifully.

Mine is setup to float (just barely, like a half mm), but the springs are adjusted so it doesn't. Did yours come that way, or did you have to adjust the 6 screws?

Mine is setup to float (just barely, like a half mm), but the springs are adjusted so it doesn't. Did yours come that way, or did you have to adjust the 6 screws?
I readjusted everything. Put new strings on it. Loosened the two top screws a little then loosened the springs around the back so I pull up a whole step on the high E string. Then reset the string height and intonation. Took a couple hours to dial it in. But it works perfectly and stays in tune. I did it to my #2 SE Silver Sky too, but that went much faster because I knew what to do.

Diving:

Resting:

Raising:

I readjusted everything. Put new strings on it. Loosened the two top screws a little then loosened the springs around the back so I pull up a whole step on the high E string. Then reset the string height and intonation. Took a couple hours to dial it in. But it works perfectly and stays in tune. I did it to my #2 SE Silver Sky too, but that went much faster because I knew what to do.
Ah, right, the SE uses 2 screws, makes it way less tricky. If you don't get all 6 the exact same height where the notch is, you are apt to snap a screw head off. :oops:

Ah, right, the SE uses 2 screws, makes it way less tricky. If you don't get all 6 the exact same height where the notch is, you are apt to snap a screw head off. :oops:
Some techs recommend loosening the middle four higher than the two outside screws so the heads of the middle four don't interfere with it returning to tune. That's for the six screw vintage style vibrato.

It's far easier to float the trem on a SE Silver Sky.

But here's the official PRS method of floating the trem on a USA Silver Sky:

Back