The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Nothing fishy going on with mine. Did you check the bag? Congrats and hope you can get that fixed!
Thanks. Yes - checked the bag for any odd odors, dragged my nose around the entire guitar, scoured the internet for any info - same things keep pointing back to rancid linseed oil. It is definitely the fretboard (rosewood - I forgot to mention, though you don't oil maple...). It is very strong and distinguishable. ugh... once it gets warm...

Hopefully it dies off with drying out a little. I probably locked it in more with the naptha and f one.. I was hoping I would be able to at least clean and cover. It seemed to work at first, but today is a different story.

If I was more hard-headed I would probably just return it and order one from another vendor (since it doesn't seem to be common, so chances are I would get a good one). But I am not hard-headed, so I will likely just suffer a bit, lol.

Thanks. Yes - checked the bag for any odd odors, dragged my nose around the entire guitar, scoured the internet for any info - same things keep pointing back to rancid linseed oil. It is definitely the fretboard (rosewood - I forgot to mention, though you don't oil maple...). It is very strong and distinguishable. ugh... once it gets warm...

Hopefully it dies off with drying out a little. I probably locked it in more with the naptha and f one.. I was hoping I would be able to at least clean and cover. It seemed to work at first, but today is a different story.

If I was more hard-headed I would probably just return it and order one from another vendor (since it doesn't seem to be common, so chances are I would get a good one). But I am not hard-headed, so I will likely just suffer a bit, lol.
(bad advice deleted)

Last edited:
If it’s oil based then it’s most likely saturated the fret board. Waiting for it to dry is the best way for the odour to subside.
Thanks. Only thing I can find that has a fishy smell and is used in guitar finishing is linseed oil. I asked the seller and they replied very quickly with the below:

"Just spoke with my rep with PRS. What you are smelling is Tung Oil. PRS uses Tung Oil on all their fingerboards. It will go away over time. PRS suggested that you could use Dunlop 65 lemon oil to help get rid of the smell. It's a brand new guitar so it just needs to be worked in and then the smell will dissipate. Nothing wrong with the guitar. It's just the way they are built."

I can't find a reference to a fish-like smell with tung oil anywhere on the internet (but keep seeing lots of "oh no, my linseed oil must be bad because my guitar smells like dead fish" posts).

It's just tough that I can't find a single person who has experienced the same thing... Though, the tag on the guitar says it was built (well, finished and inspected, and maybe oiled?) December 13th 2021, so exactly 1 month ago today it left the factory. Do you think I just got one that is super new and that's not the norm to get one so new?

Thanks. Only thing I can find that has a fishy smell and is used in guitar finishing is linseed oil. I asked the seller and they replied very quickly with the below:

"Just spoke with my rep with PRS. What you are smelling is Tung Oil. PRS uses Tung Oil on all their fingerboards. It will go away over time. PRS suggested that you could use Dunlop 65 lemon oil to help get rid of the smell. It's a brand new guitar so it just needs to be worked in and then the smell will dissipate. Nothing wrong with the guitar. It's just the way they are built."

I can't find a reference to a fish-like smell with tung oil anywhere on the internet (but keep seeing lots of "oh no, my linseed oil must be bad because my guitar smells like dead fish" posts).

It's just tough that I can't find a single person who has experienced the same thing... Though, the tag on the guitar says it was built (well, finished and inspected, and maybe oiled?) December 13th 2021, so exactly 1 month ago today it left the factory. Do you think I just got one that is super new and that's not the norm to get one so new?
Perhaps you could ask someone to give it a whiff test and see what they think.

This has been reported before but not often at all. I've been here less than two years and it was posted once, and was good fodder for some fish humor...kind and nice fish humor.

Time may fix it. Good luck!

I would love to report (and never have to speak about again, and stop boring all you fine people with, lol) that the smell has GREATLY dissipated over the last several days. The box I got was factory sealed (appeared as if guitar shop didn't open it), so it looks like it must have gone from the factory line with a freshly oiled board to the bag and sat with no air for a month until it unleashed in my face, so it apparently just needed some time to breathe. Yay. At this rate I anticipate it'll be gone in a week or so. It's just a little scary when you drop $2500 and feel like something is off...

On another note, I play the Gilmour GHS 10's (custom sizes) and swapped the strings a couple days ago. They are definitely lighter than the 10's it came with and I can feel it in the tremolo and hear it in some new little buzzes here and there. I am not looking to do an entire setup just yet and want to spend some time with it as it was intended to play. Does anyone know what strings come on the SS? I had to get to the fretboard to naptha it, so needed to swap...

Thanks guys

Hi, I am starting to have an issue with my SS Nebula guitar finish. I pulled it out the other day and noticed first stages of 'checking'. I know this is normal for the nitro, but I have had nitro finished guitars for years and it normally takes a long time for this to happen. On the back of the guitar, I can clearly see it is a 3 piece body, and can see the finish sinking into the wood grain.. Again I know that is normal. What I am concerned about is the checking is coming from behind the back plate, the input jack, and along the lines where the body is glued together. I am guessing the checks will not be the broken glass look, but rather long crack lines down the guitar. It would not bother me if this was a standard finish, I would not bother me at all. I do not think checking will look good on the nice nebula finish. Is this something worth mentioning to the PRS warranty? I also bought the PRS cleaning/polishing kit, the guitar has been well taken care of since day 1. Would they even offer to refinish this because I know I cannot exchange it. Thank you for the input!!

Hi, I am starting to have an issue with my SS Nebula guitar finish. I pulled it out the other day and noticed first stages of 'checking'. I know this is normal for the nitro, but I have had nitro finished guitars for years and it normally takes a long time for this to happen. On the back of the guitar, I can clearly see it is a 3 piece body, and can see the finish sinking into the wood grain.. Again I know that is normal. What I am concerned about is the checking is coming from behind the back plate, the input jack, and along the lines where the body is glued together. I am guessing the checks will not be the broken glass look, but rather long crack lines down the guitar. It would not bother me if this was a standard finish, I would not bother me at all. I do not think checking will look good on the nice nebula finish. Is this something worth mentioning to the PRS warranty? I also bought the PRS cleaning/polishing kit, the guitar has been well taken care of since day 1. Would they even offer to refinish this because I know I cannot exchange it. Thank you for the input!!
Only one way to find out, reach out to Customer Service. Can't hurt.

Man, you’d think that I’m a guitar that cost as much as nebulas does that they’d use at most two pieces for the body.
That’s jacked up

c2z88erk3sf81.jpg

I think I finally puzzled out that the easy way to tell the SE SS is that it's got a traditional PRS-shaped truss rod cover, vs. the skinny inlaid aluminuminiuum one that the US version has. So I think Mr. Mayer is showing us a brace of SE Silver Skys, one each Nebula and Lunar Ice models, and a couple of incidental US Silver Skys.

I say this with no malice: It's gotta be nice to be That Guy.

Back