The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Forgot to post a pic last time. Digging the polar blue!
https://imgur.com/gallery/ZAWgw0i
ZAWgw0i
Fantastic

That can't be right. No way. I read on the internet that no one would buy a Silver Sky because it was a) just an overpriced Strat and you could get an equal or better Fender for way less; b) it doesn't have stainless steel frets; and c) it has John Mayer's name on it. And I know everything on the internet is true, especially the stuff that's made up.

New to the forums and I wanted to share this post. As guitarists, we understand there are certain...call them rituals that go along with making a new guitar "yours". Well, I just finished oiling the fretboard and replacing the factory strings with a new set and now I can officially call it mine!
Everyone meet "Blue" my new 2021 Silver Sky. I've owned this guitar less then a week and each day I appreciate it more and more.

Last edited:
New to the forums and I wanted to share this post. As guitarists, we understand there are certain...call them rituals that go along with making a new guitar "yours". Well, I just finished oiling the fretboard and replacing the factory strings with a new set and now I can officially call it mine!
Everyone meet "Blue" my new 2021 Silver Sky. I've owned this guitar less then a week and each day I appreciate it more and more.

Looks great! How often should one oil the rosewood board? Realize now I have some that may be overdue…

I joined the Silver Sky club yesterday! Always been a humbucker guy but these delicious singles have me converted!
nice grabs!

That can't be right. No way. I read on the internet that no one would buy a Silver Sky because it was a) just an overpriced Strat and you could get an equal or better Fender for way less; b) it doesn't have stainless steel frets; and c) it has John Mayer's name on it. And I know everything on the internet is true, especially the stuff that's made up.

Y'know, the funny thing is that I see comment after comment on the interwebz that goes along the lines of "y'know, I tried one and it beats the crap out of the Fender Custom Shop that I tried."

Hi, does anyone know of an aftermarket red tortoiseshell pickguard that fits the Silver Sky? I have a fantasy about doing a sunburst (on top of white) with the red tortoiseshell....Thanks!

Hi, does anyone know of an aftermarket red tortoiseshell pickguard that fits the Silver Sky? I have a fantasy about doing a sunburst (on top of white) with the red tortoiseshell....Thanks!
Reach out to Decoboom. He may not have a template for it but can do custom orders. Expensive but some of the coolest pickguards I’ve seen in a long time.

https://reverb.com/item/43501876-re...ard-for-prs-silver-sky-toplayer-real-celluoid

I’ve seen several, this was just the first I ran into… your fantasy draws near!

I went back and read the first pages of this thread, which began the day after my birthday 2018… just a youngster still in his, uh, 50s then. Lol. It’s funny to see how it has progressed from there, and how right JM and PS were on this instrument. Even the haters have to admit it was an unquestionable grand slam of a home run. I got one of the first year Horizon ones, the best color ever IMHO, though not with the “lottery” case, which would have been the trifecta of guitar, color, accessory. I’m not, by norms, a single coil player but a Strat and a Tele are their own thing, and I need one of each. My Strat just happens to be a Silver Sky. (My Tele is an actual Tele until Paul violates the inner F sanctuary, and does the unthinkable).

All I can say is Well Done, John and Paul and Rene, and the PRS team. Congrats to all who tried it for themselves and honesty made up their mind, pro or con. Hats off to you for not listening to the slop bucket of public opinion. Even if it ain’t your cup of tea, it is damn good tea!!

Last edited:
https://reverb.com/item/43501876-re...ard-for-prs-silver-sky-toplayer-real-celluoid

I’ve seen several, this was just the first I ran into… your fantasy draws near!

I went back and read the first pages of this thread, which began the day after my birthday 2018… just a youngster still in his, uh, 50s then. Lol. It’s funny to see how it has progressed from there, and how right JM and PS were on this instrument. Even the haters have to admit it was an unquestionable grand slam of a home run. I got one of the first year Horizon ones, the best color ever IMHO, though not with the “lottery” case, which would have been the trifecta of guitar, color, accessory. I’m not, by norms, a single coil player but a Strat and a Tele are their own thing, and I need one of each. My Strat just happens to be a Silver Sky. (My Tele is an actual Tele until Paul violates the inner F sanctuary, and does the unthinkable).

All I can say is Well Done, John and Paul and Rene, and the PRS team. Congrats to all who tried it for themselves and honesty made up their mind, pro or con. Hats off to you for not listening to the slop bucket of public opinion. Even if it ain’t your cup of tea, it is damn good tea!!
Thanks @RickP ! And I totally agree with your sentiment. I have a 594 as well, but I haven't touched it because I can't put the silver sky down! It just plays too good....

I bought a new one and returned it. I couldn't get along with the neck shape.

It just didn't feel right, which makes me sad, because I wanted it to work.

Seems like the Roxy Pink has not gone out to anyone apart from the famous folks at the launch. Haven’t seen any dealers or anyone post photos of it.

Back