The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

What’s up with multiple authorized dealers selling the lunar ice silver sky at scalper pricing? Or is that not allowed to be discussed :mad:

I’ve been giving the chunky neck comment some considerations. Relative to a wide thin or pattern then it may appear to be. I recall playing around on a S2 custom 24 and the neck didn’t really feel that different to my SEs. Isn’t the pattern regular deeper at the nut? I’m not sure about the 12 fret. The difference is feel are the shoulders and no lacquer. The shoulders and edge of the fret board have that different feeling. Best way to say it is that the ss neck isn’t a cliff edge. I’m talking to much.
When you compare the necks, there isn’t that much difference between many PRS neck carves... looking at the measurements it is amazing we can feel a difference. The radius on the SS is different from, say, a pattern vintage neck on a 594, but the thickness dimensions aren’t that far apart. I’ve never been a sensitive player to neck sizes, and notice things like frets first when picking up a new guitar. But I can (and have) played and enjoyed many neck shapes, and don’t let a few 64ths of an inch here and there concern me much if the guitar itself sounds good. No one who has picked up my SS has said anything about the neck except that it plays well. I wouldn’t overthink it too much!

I hear the frets are larger on the new Maple fretboard SS.
Are the frets larger on the new Rosewood fretboard SS as well?

My Silver Sky Lunar arrived and my dealer was hyping I was lucky to get an amazing flame neck. I did some research and can't quite tell exactly what I got. Is this really that special? Is it on the fretboard or the back?

https://imgur.com/a/5dO4R61

Last edited:
Inline back of neck flame
SZVAJou_d.jpg

My Silver Sky Lunar arrived and my dealer was hyping I was lucky to get an amazing flame neck. I did some research and can't quite tell exactly what I got. Is this really that special? Is it on the fretboard or the back?

https://imgur.com/a/5dO4R61
I would not call that a heavy flame (on the back, by the way), but it is an interesting looking piece of wood. Of course it is special. Enjoy it, and congratulations!

Thoughts on ideal weight for a silver sky? I've played some that are 6lb and 14 oz and some almost a pound heavier at 7lb and 12oz. I've also seen some where there are gaps in between the fret cut out and the actual fret. Not sure what that's called and if it leads to problems in future. Sold on a silver sky but want to find the right one.

Thoughts on ideal weight for a silver sky? I've played some that are 6lb and 14 oz and some almost a pound heavier at 7lb and 12oz. I've also seen some where there are gaps in between the fret cut out and the actual fret. Not sure what that's called and if it leads to problems in future. Sold on a silver sky but want to find the right one.
If you’re lucky enough to play before you buy, forget all that crap & buy the one that speaks to you. If you’re not so lucky... keep sending them back until you get one that makes you forget about all that crap.

Personally, I like a strat style guitar to be between 7 and 7.5 pounds (and lighter for a tele). My SS is about 7 pounds and change, which is not featherweight, but feels great for a Strat -- and more than that, it's balanced really nicely, unlike some guitars that can be neck or body heavy.

But agree that you shouldn't get hung up on that stuff (unless your back demands a lighter guitar). My main guitar is 5 pounds, 5 ounces, so everything feels heavy in comparison, but it's a full hollowbody!

My SS is 6lb6oz. That’s a good weight to shoot for ;)

you can pretty much buy any ss site unseen and will be guaranteed to get one 2 or 3 lbs lighter than a most of the other brands so don’t worry too much lol.

mSBsctk.jpg

I am proud to call this maple fret beauty mine. I honestly have no idea where the Dodgem Blue color name originated from but this guitar looks pretty aqua green to me! I added the Pearloid pickguard from MojoAxe after seeing similar maple fretboard green guitars with this combo done for Suhr's and Strats; I've since seen them added to Silver Sky's on here. Kudos to those with similar vision! I love personalizing a guitar with a pickguard change. I kinda wish we could alter the pickup bobbin covers to really spice things up. Unfortunately it is not that easy on these JM pickups as it is for a strat. Maybe down the road PRS will give us options.

mSBsctk.jpg

I am proud to call this maple fret beauty mine. I honestly have no idea where the Dodgem Blue color name originated from but this guitar looks pretty aqua green to me! I added the Pearloid pickguard from MojoAxe after seeing similar maple fretboard green guitars with this combo done for Suhr's and Strats; I've since seen them added to Silver Sky's on here. Kudos to those with similar vision! I love personalizing a guitar with a pickguard change. I kinda wish we could alter the pickup bobbin covers to really spice things up. Unfortunately it is not that easy on these JM pickups as it is for a strat. Maybe down the road PRS will give us options.
Dig the pickguard

So what's the final word on the changes to the Silver Sky as of late 2020?

I'm interested in the rosewood model only.

I playtested one in a store made in October, 2020.

I would have the option of getting another one in a color I would prefer (Tungsten) from a different store for a better price. I'm pretty sure Tungsten wasn't made in the current/newest batch, is it?

What will be the differences if I go with the older model? I'm reading conflicting reports about neck shape/size and fret size.

I was amazed at the playability of the one I tested and want to make sure it is as good. (I like the sound of Strats but always hated the playability of them and thus had stopped looking for one. I could not believe how different/super playable the SS was, and now I'm on the hunt for one.)

What's the final word on changes?

So what's the final word on the changes to the Silver Sky as of late 2020?

I'm interested in the rosewood model only.

I playtested one in a store made in October, 2020.

I would have the option of getting another one in a color I would prefer (Tungsten) from a different store for a better price. I'm pretty sure Tungsten wasn't made in the current/newest batch, is it?

What will be the differences if I go with the older model? I'm reading conflicting reports about neck shape/size and fret size.

I was amazed at the playability of the one I tested and want to make sure it is as good. (I like the sound of Strats but always hated the playability of them and thus had stopped looking for one. I could not believe how different/super playable the SS was, and now I'm on the hunt for one.)

What's the final word on changes?

2020: rosewood necks changed to be slightly rounder in the shoulders. There’s specs somewhere if you search around. Maple necks still have the original carve.

2021: the frets got just a bit taller across the board (I confirmed this with PRS customer service).

I have a 2019 and a 2021 - it’s not a hugely noticeable difference and they both play/sound/feel exactly as a Silver Sky should, which is exceptionally well!

I find shopping for the silver sky’s interesting. So many dealers get new stock with guitars built in 2018, 2019, and 2020. It’s so hard to know what specs/finish it is since things changed up in 2020.

2020: rosewood necks changed to be slightly rounder in the shoulders. There’s specs somewhere if you search around. Maple necks still have the original carve.

2021: the frets got just a bit taller across the board (I confirmed this with PRS customer service).

I have a 2019 and a 2021 - it’s not a hugely noticeable difference and they both play/sound/feel exactly as a Silver Sky should, which is exceptionally well!

"Slightly rounder in the shoulders" as in "shaved to be slightly rounder" or "beefed up to be slightly rounder"?

The frets are the part that tickles me. I'm not a fan of wide frets, but I do prefer taller frets than lower frets. They're just easier to play and, since they're not stainless, there's also more to use and wear away before the guitar would ever need a refret.

All this makes me lean towards the newer guitar, even though it's 300$ plus tax, so really 350$ more expensive and in a color that I don't quite like as much.

Thoughts?

"Slightly rounder in the shoulders" as in "shaved to be slightly rounder" or "beefed up to be slightly rounder"?

The frets are the part that tickles me. I'm not a fan of wide frets, but I do prefer taller frets than lower frets. They're just easier to play and, since they're not stainless, there's also more to use and wear away before the guitar would ever need a refret.

All this makes me lean towards the newer guitar, even though it's 300$ plus tax, so really 350$ more expensive and in a color that I don't quite like as much.

Thoughts?

it’s slightly less in the shoulders. My 2021 is maple so it’s the same carve as my 2019 so I’m not really the expert on both carves but I have played the other carve and didn’t notice too much of a difference.

The frets may be marginally wider, mostly at the base. They’re still very much vintage, nothing like a medium jumbo or anything like that. Closer to something like a 6105. If I had to absolutely choose I’d lean toward my 2019 - but ask me again tomorrow and it’ll likely be different.

What color did you like? I wasn’t aware they eliminated any colors this year.

it’s slightly less in the shoulders. My 2021 is maple so it’s the same carve as my 2019 so I’m not really the expert on both carves but I have played the other carve and didn’t notice too much of a difference.

The frets may be marginally wider, mostly at the base. They’re still very much vintage, nothing like a medium jumbo or anything like that. Closer to something like a 6105. If I had to absolutely choose I’d lean toward my 2019 - but ask me again tomorrow and it’ll likely be different.

What color did you like? I wasn’t aware they eliminated any colors this year.

I liked Tungsten.

I wouldn't go out of my way for wider frets, but taller: maybe.

Can you double check your 2019 and 2021 (even if it's maple, can I assume they use the same fretwork between rosewood and maple) and validate if the new frets are wider, taller, or both compared to 2019?

Many thanks!!!

I liked Tungsten.

I wouldn't go out of my way for wider frets, but taller: maybe.

Can you double check your 2019 and 2021 (even if it's maple, can I assume they use the same fretwork between rosewood and maple) and validate if the new frets are wider, taller, or both compared to 2019?

Many thanks!!!

there’s no question they’re different, that’s why I confirmed with PRS - I wanted to make sure it was supposed to be that way. It was clear when I pulled it out of the case the first time. They look slightly wider but really only at the base, not the tip. I have a Strat with 6105 (narrow/tall) frets and they’re not that tall, and maybe slightly less wide if that gives you a reference.

I still see tungsten on the website ; )

Back