The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Would love pics of the 63 - it is part of the SS inspiration and all!

I had the luxury of one in each color to choose from and I tried them all. They were incredibly consistent across the lot, leaving me to only pick which color I preferred.
I had a Midnight Rose briefly. Loved the color but UPS punched a hole through the box and it suffered some finish damage. I couldn’t replace the color in a rosewood neck so I opted for a Polar Blue. I’m thrilled with it.

I’ve got a 63 strat that sounds amazing and the neck is it’s heart and soul. My silver sky is it’s equal, which blows me away. I can see doing a few minor things to a SS, but I’ll buy a refurb or used eventually. I’m not touching my #1. I would love to play about 10 of these side by side to see how repeatable their build algorithm is. I wouldn’t touch the neck, pickups, bridge, electronics, frets, nut.... so what’s left? (Tuner knobs, pick guard, aesthetics)

I think tuner knobs are out, because they’re fixed to the machine, so pick guard!;)

Bought the guitar from an owner who wanted to experiment with some finishes. I think he was trying to finish it in Sunburst but gave up the project.
Well I took it a step further. I wonder how this pickguard would look on a Gold Mesa body with Maple Fretboard.

GIfwsaR.jpg

Bought the guitar from an owner who wanted to experiment with some finishes. I think he was trying to finish it in Sunburst but gave up the project.
Well I took it a step further. I wonder how this pickguard would look on a Gold Mesa body with Maple Fretboard.

GIfwsaR.jpg
Wow, love it, very different and uniquely done
Colour scheme is awesome!

GIfwsaR.jpg

That looks amazing! Really nicely done, has a great overall aesthetic!

I've got a question about the new neck carve on the rosewood models that I'm hoping someone can answer. I know that for 2020 models, the neck shape changed to the 635JM-R. However, every tag I can find from 2020 Silver Sky's online has the neck as JM64. I have yet to see a tag that actually lists 635JM-R.

I even asked PRS customer support this question, and they couldn't tell me when for sure the factory switched over to the new shape.

I've got a question about the new neck carve on the rosewood models that I'm hoping someone can answer. I know that for 2020 models, the neck shape changed to the 635JM-R. However, every tag I can find from 2020 Silver Sky's online has the neck as JM64. I have yet to see a tag that actually lists 635JM-R.

I even asked PRS customer support this question, and they couldn't tell me when for sure the factory switched over to the new shape.

I asked the same question as I was confused why so many new SS guitars had a JM64 neck when the website specified 635JM-R (for rosewood). Customer service replied and said that they were both so similar in profile that some at PRS had argued the JM64 should not have a different code, as they are kinda within each other’s tolerances. I ended up with a Dodgem Blue Rosewood 635JM-R. I really, really enjoy it!

I asked the same question as I was confused why so many new SS guitars had a JM64 neck when the website specified 635JM-R (for rosewood). Customer service replied and said that they were both so similar in profile that some at PRS had argued the JM64 should not have a different code, as they are kinda within each other’s tolerances. I ended up with a Dodgem Blue Rosewood 635JM-R. I really, really enjoy it!

Very interesting! So it sounds like the difference is even more subtle than I imagined. Did you get a chance to play any JM64 necks to compare with the SS you ended up with?

Very interesting! So it sounds like the difference is even more subtle than I imagined. Did you get a chance to play any JM64 necks to compare with the SS you ended up with?
No - I didn’t have a chance to get hands on anything, it was an internet purchase that turned out well - driven by good communication with the seller and good pics of the rosewood fretboard (nice and dark) and back of the neck (nice tint and wood grain). Hey - they also have to look good, right!? When you read about the neck dimensions, they sound like it could be pretty beefy but I think the rounded shoulders make it fit so well in the palm - and the more curved top of the 7.25” radius board also probably helps. The nut is fractionally wider than my Strat’s 1.65 inches and in comparison, it keeps the strings just that tiny bit further away from the edge of the board (so I have to try harder to foul the first string with the inside of my index finger!!).

Apparently Sweetwater got their first Satin Moc Sands last week, which both sold. Also - the don't expect to get any more until November.

I got one of the two maple board ones they got in. They say 6lb 6oz which is crazy. I’m waiting for it to clear customs sometime in the next couple days then will report.

I have the pics sweet water took for me, but I’d rather post some in hand pics once it’s in.

Back