The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

My Marshall super lead is running though a 70's Marshall 4x4 cab with the green backs.. I don't really enjoy the sound/feel of the SS played through it. I mainly use this amp as a retro EVH setup playing a replica Frankenstrat guitar..

Yeah, that's a killer combo. I can see how it'd be very different than what you're hoping to hear out of an Eddie / Frankenstrat combo.

I wonder if the Strat knobs had to be modified in any way to fit on the Silver Sky. And whether they still turn as ‘freely’.

That's an aftermarket pickguard with aged Strat knobs. I believe the standard pickup covers were aged with lacquer. It does look good.

Hmm. Looks like a price increase. Just checked SW and MF sites and they are $2399 except the Moc Sand color. Moc Sand could be on the chopping block. Shame, it is a cool color. Maybe they are making room in the line for that purple mist color?

Picked up a Tungsten SS from GC today, kinda on a whim. Been very happy with my FCS ‘61 WW10 Strat that I got in January but I like Mayer’s tone and I know PRS builds quality instruments even though I don’t get along with most (since I’m very much a SSS Strat player, have one more ‘96 Strat Plus and that’s the sum of my electric guitars)

Well, it has not disappointed. The tone is really good, I’m liking these pickups a lot. Clear and articulate but never harsh. And the neck shape feels great and I, really enjoy the 7.25” radius fretboard.

Coming months will be interesting as I’m curious which I’ll end up playing more.

I have an 8 year old custom clapton strat i love, 9.25 radius but i really want a s sky also. how does the 7.25 compare to the strat 9.25? you like as much? curios as to what changes they will make on ss that will be announced this week besides colors. thanks

@Summer I think it all depends on the particular guitar's setup, quality of the frets, etc., but I have various radius on my guitars and find the Silver Sky as easy to play as any other, and better than some. Part of that is due to the fatter neck, which I vastly prefer. The neck feels perfect to me. The radius feels great for chording, and I have never choked out on the SS with bends. Conversely, I had a nice '52 RI Tele many years ago that sounded great but I constantly pulled donkeys when bending until I had it regretted with 6105 fret wire. That started me on a kick with 6105 and 6100 wire that ended when I finally added some superbly made and setup guitars that didn't need giant railroad wire to play well. Now I prefer lower frets and sold off the others. Hope that helps.

@Summer I think it all depends on the particular guitar's setup, quality of the frets, etc., but I have various radius on my guitars and find the Silver Sky as easy to play as any other, and better than some. Part of that is due to the fatter neck, which I vastly prefer. The neck feels perfect to me. The radius feels great for chording, and I have never choked out on the SS with bends. Conversely, I had a nice '52 RI Tele many years ago that sounded great but I constantly pulled donkeys when bending until I had it regretted with 6105 fret wire. That started me on a kick with 6105 and 6100 wire that ended when I finally added some superbly made and setup guitars that didn't need giant railroad wire to play well. Now I prefer lower frets and sold off the others. Hope that helps.
helped alot. thank you.

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2021%2F01%2Fjohn-mayer-prs-guitars-silver-sky-guitar-limited-edition-release-info-001.jpg

Do regular old joes without special dealer relationships have any chance of buying the new silver sky color? If so, any tips?

Do regular old joes without special dealer relationships have any chance of buying the new silver sky color? If so, any tips?

One quick check right now and you can reserve online at GuitarCenter and Sweetwater, probably others. Anddddd go!

Back