The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Gorgeous! Would you say it's more pink, rose gold, or copper in person? All the photos I see vary, like the other SS models. This is my favorite!
My Midnight Rose Silver Sky looks like a dusky pink in "daylight" lighting. In the evening, with incandescent lighting (or LED equivalent), it looks more rose-gold. So it varies based on lighting (and camera white balance, etc).

I find it quite beautiful, as solid colors/finishes go.

Posted in a FB group and am getting conflicted responses so wanted to post here. I just bought a silver sky from Sweetwater and mine seems to have quite a bit of grain on the bottom side of the fretboard. Some of the grains have white lines inside of them as well. I am mainly worried about the deep white mark next to my thumb. It almost looks like a scratch instead of a grain but I am not sure. Is this type of graining normal for silver sky’s? If so is there away to remove the white fill in the longer grains?
LLsrk26

https://imgur.com/a/LLsrk26

Posted in a FB group and am getting conflicted responses so wanted to post here. I just bought a silver sky from Sweetwater and mine seems to have quite a bit of grain on the bottom side of the fretboard. Some of the grains have white lines inside of them as well. I am mainly worried about the deep white mark next to my thumb. It almost looks like a scratch instead of a grain but I am not sure. Is this type of graining normal for silver sky’s? If so is there away to remove the white fill in the longer grains?
LLsrk26

https://imgur.com/a/LLsrk26

I can’t see the pic, but it will most likely be a stray bit of polishing compound. A dry toothbrush should remove it without causing any damage. Go lightly to begin with.

EDIT: I can see the pics now, definitely polish.

Last edited:
I can’t see the pic, but it will most likely be a stray boy of polishing compound. A dry toothbrush should remove it without causing any damage. Go lightly to begin with.

EDIT: I can see the pics now, definitely polish.
Okay great good to know! This is my first rosewood guitar so this is new to me. Are these types of grains typical even on higher end guitars? Do the grains have any correlation to the qualify of the wood used?

Okay great good to know! This is my first rosewood guitar so this is new to me. Are these types of grains typical even on higher end guitars? Do the grains have any correlation to the qualify of the wood used?
All wood has a grain, it’s just a matter of how visible it is. Some of us like it more visible. As noted above, the white isn’t the wood and and can be removed.
Here is the photo inline
3WS6Umh_d.jpg

All wood has a grain, it’s just a matter of how visible it is. Some of us like it more visible. As noted above, the white isn’t the wood and and can be removed.
Here is the photo inline
3WS6Umh_d.jpg
Thanks site wasn't letting me post the photo for some reason. I just wasn't sure if the length/depth of the grain was an issue. A friend of mine told me that large grains represent lower quality wood but I'm not really sure if that is true. PRS also confirmed the white fill is a buffing compound and will come out.

Hey guys new here and got a random question. Long story short I have 2 silver skys at the house right now. Exact same guitar. One of them is to go back to the store, it was apparently used when it arrived and was supposed to be brand new.

Anyway I noticed on the headstock tag on of them has "JM 64" for the neck profile, and the other is the standard "635JM-R". Is there any difference in these 2 necks?
One was made in June 2020 and the other August 2020.
Also one of them doesn't have initials under the "Final Check By" spot. Which is a bit odd.
On top of all that the gig bags are different.

Hey guys new here and got a random question. Long story short I have 2 silver skys at the house right now. Exact same guitar. One of them is to go back to the store, it was apparently used when it arrived and was supposed to be brand new.

Anyway I noticed on the headstock tag on of them has "JM 64" for the neck profile, and the other is the standard "635JM-R". Is there any difference in these 2 necks?
One was made in June 2020 and the other August 2020.
Also one of them doesn't have initials under the "Final Check By" spot. Which is a bit odd.
On top of all that the gig bags are different.
The neck profiles for the rosewood fretboards did change a tiny bit recently (though I thought it was in late-2019/early-2020). The current carve, according to the PRS website, is:

635JM-R (Rosewood Fretboard)

I would guess therefore JM 64 is the name for the original profile. EDIT: the original profile was supposedly "635JM" (without the -R suffix), but some folks here have reported getting hang tags that say "JM 64" like yours, and one person said that PRS customer service indicated it was a "typo" and should have said "635JM". The posts I saw were from April and June of this year. Weird.

Anyway:

They tweaked it a bit to give a bit more roll to the shoulder, IIRC. Or maybe less roll? You may or may not notice the difference, and may or may not have a preference.

I do wonder why the gig bags changed, though. I hadn't heard about that.

Last edited:
The neck profiles for the rosewood fretboards did change a tiny bit recently (though I thought it was in late-2019/early-2020). The current carve, according to the PRS website, is:

I would guess therefore JM 64 is the name for the original profile. EDIT: the original profile was supposedly "635JM" (without the -R suffix), but some folks here have reported getting hang tags that say "JM 64" like yours, and one person said that PRS customer service indicated it was a "typo" and should have said "635JM". The posts I saw were from April and June of this year. Weird.

Anyway:

They tweaked it a bit to give a bit more roll to the shoulder, IIRC. Or maybe less roll? You may or may not notice the difference, and may or may not have a preference.

I ended up calling PRS and asking them, it was a brief conversation as the lady I spoke with seemed, ill say, a bit busy, at the moment. But regardless... she took both serial numbers from me, put me on hold to go talk to someone, then came back and told me they were the same neck....

FWIW

Picked up a Tungsten SS from GC today, kinda on a whim. Been very happy with my FCS ‘61 WW10 Strat that I got in January but I like Mayer’s tone and I know PRS builds quality instruments even though I don’t get along with most (since I’m very much a SSS Strat player, have one more ‘96 Strat Plus and that’s the sum of my electric guitars)

Well, it has not disappointed. The tone is really good, I’m liking these pickups a lot. Clear and articulate but never harsh. And the neck shape feels great and I, really enjoy the 7.25” radius fretboard.

Coming months will be interesting as I’m curious which I’ll end up playing more.

Here is the info

necks new copy by

Anyway:

Yup...it's been confirmed all the US made PRSi now have nitro finishes. I missed it somehow. I dig the dodgem blue. However, the wife hates blue guitars almost as much as @sergiodeblanc so I've narrowed it down to the frost, tungsten or the polar blue...she's not the boss of me.:D I just told her it was bluish "silver". Just in case I go that route. ;) had the tungsten with the rosewood last time, the frost looks a bit "washed out" but I think a different color pickguard would break it up nicely. So the jury is still out at the moment...I've gotta couple of months to decide.

Hi, is this true for sure? Do we know when the switch to Nitro began?

Back