The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Just bought a Silver Sky that a guy refinished the body and also refinished the neck in some amber color. Looks cool. IDK why he did what he did but I got it cheap.
I was taking it apart to check everything because it is normal for me to do so.
And I noticed this marked at the end of the neck heel.
What is 0001? Do all the necks have this stamp? I know it's can't be the 1st one because no idiot would sell that.
This is from 2018 and and build date is 5/8/18

uVdHneH.jpg

I have played a few Silver Sky guitars. They sound great. I don't like the radius. I am not saying it frets out or anything like that, I actually like the neck above the fifth fret. But I don't like how it feels chording near the nut. Here are my thoughts on resolving this. I could buy one and cut a new pickguard for my Brent Mason to accept the Silver Sky electronics to see if it sounds as good as the Silver Sky. Aside from desoldering the ground connection and input jack, no real harm needs to come to either guitar (assuming the pickups would fit in the Brent Mason pickup cavities). Another option would be to buy a Silver Sky, pull the frets and sand the neck to a 10" radius. This would mutilate the birds, but that could be interesting. Essentially I would be out the price of the guitar unless I parted it out for 1/3 the value. But hey, if it works, I could start offering the service to brave 7.25" haters!

OK. Who is going to egg me on in this? Or who is going to shame my inability to get along with the radius? And to be honest, I would probably be fine with 7.25" if I just played it enough, but I am not ashamed to admit I have preferences.

I have played a few Silver Sky guitars. They sound great. I don't like the radius. I am not saying it frets out or anything like that, I actually like the neck above the fifth fret. But I don't like how it feels chording near the nut. Here are my thoughts on resolving this. I could buy one and cut a new pickguard for my Brent Mason to accept the Silver Sky electronics to see if it sounds as good as the Silver Sky. Aside from desoldering the ground connection and input jack, no real harm needs to come to either guitar (assuming the pickups would fit in the Brent Mason pickup cavities). Another option would be to buy a Silver Sky, pull the frets and sand the neck to a 10" radius. This would mutilate the birds, but that could be interesting. Essentially I would be out the price of the guitar unless I parted it out for 1/3 the value. But hey, if it works, I could start offering the service to brave 7.25" haters!

OK. Who is going to egg me on in this? Or who is going to shame my inability to get along with the radius? And to be honest, I would probably be fine with 7.25" if I just played it enough, but I am not ashamed to admit I have preferences.
We all have preferences, nothing to flame anyone over. The majority of people getting toasted by fans of the SS invite their day on the whipping post by claiming the guitar is crap because it doesn't suit them. You didn't do that. You are free to go. :)

On the neck issue, I've wondered if another neck can be modded to fit the scale. It would seem you could do that, pop off and save the 635 neck if you wanted to retain the resale, and go from there. Just a thought, admittedly uttered with absolutely no research to back up the feasibility.

Just picked up a used 2019 SS in Dodgem Blue. Love it so far. A few observations. The neck feels more like a PRS than it feels like my 2011 American Standard's neck. The neck does not feel that different to my wide thin (i know that may be controversial to say). I do not notice the 7.25 radius fret board at all, it may in fact be slightly easier to bar.

People that rail against PRS and particularly this guitar can pound sand.

Hi all-

Just picked up a silver sky. It plays amazingly, but I was curious if it doesn’t make sense to make a couple modifications.

The tuners are great, but I’m not a fan of the plastic keys. Also I typically prefer graphtech saddles as these will likely degrade over time and cause burrs.

Would I be crazy to make these changes?

Hi all-

Just picked up a silver sky. It plays amazingly, but I was curious if it doesn’t make sense to make a couple modifications.

The tuners are great, but I’m not a fan of the plastic keys. Also I typically prefer graphtech saddles as these will likely degrade over time and cause burrs.

It's your guitar, so do what makes YOU happy.
BUT, that being said...I think the trem is too stiff for MY liking, but I want to know what it feels like to play John Mayer's guitar...so I'm not changing it.
Does that make me stupid? yes and no. yes because it's MY guitar and it should play the way I want it to...but I love JM's music and I don't want to mess with that mojo. ;)

Hi all-

The SS is set up to sound like John wants it to sound and look. You can change anything that suits you, just keeping in mind it will likely sound a bit different from John's SS afterwards. Keep the original parts in case you decide to sell later. People looking for a Silver Sky generally want a Silver Sky, and not a version hacked to someone else's idea of better (unless taking a financial hit on the sale is ok). In the end, it's your Silver Sky now. However you enjoy it most is the right way.

The SS is set up to sound like John wants it to sound and look. You can change anything that suits you, just keeping in mind it will likely sound a bit different from John's SS afterwards. Keep the original parts in case you decide to sell later. People looking for a Silver Sky generally want a Silver Sky, and not a version hacked to someone else's idea of better (unless taking a financial hit on the sale is ok). In the end, it's your Silver Sky now. However you enjoy it most is the right way.

I get the resale value is part of the consideration. I guess I’m just wondering if the tuners or saddles really affect the tone that much, since they would be more aesthetic/functional upgrades.

I get the resale value is part of the consideration. I guess I’m just wondering if the tuners or saddles really affect the tone that much, since they would be more aesthetic/functional upgrades.
If you change tuner buttons, most people probably won’t notice a tonal difference. If you change the saddles, it probably depends on what you change them to. Again most people probably won’t notice a change in sound.
But, when you start changing multiple components, the cumulative effects might start adding up to make a bigger difference in tone. Only one way to find out. It is fairly easy to reverse those changes, so the only risk is time and money.

2019 on the left, 2020 on the right.

IMG-1136.jpg

I think they really nailed the S-type guitar with these. I didn't know what to expect with the neck when I got the first one but it was instantly the most comfortable neck I've played. I guess there were some QC issues with some of these early SS's where the switch cap would crack and fall off. PRS quickly shipped a new cap out though and it's been good ever since. Haven't had that issue with the midnight rose one.

These silver skies are like tattoos, I may never get one since I cannot commit -- one day Tungsten is my favorite, then Dodgem, then Rose. Those look great! And I applaud the bold choice in straps. Thanks for keeping it interesting.

2019 on the left, 2020 on the right.

IMG-1136.jpg

I think they really nailed the S-type guitar with these. I didn't know what to expect with the neck when I got the first one but it was instantly the most comfortable neck I've played. I guess there were some QC issues with some of these early SS's where the switch cap would crack and fall off. PRS quickly shipped a new cap out though and it's been good ever since. Haven't had that issue with the midnight rose one.
I salute your bold strap choices.

Regrettably, I sold my SS last year and I miss it terribly. I personally loved everything about it...except one thing...the gloss nitro on the back of the neck. Sadly, I just couldn't gel with it. :( However, I would never have taken a Scotchbrite pad to it, or modified it in ANY way, but that's just me. Other than the sticky (to me) neck, it was hands down the ultimate S-type guitar IMHO. But, like with anything else to each his own. If you want to experiment, modify or hack it up...go for it it's yours.

I love these guitars sooo much, I'm in the process of socking away some $$$. My wife has landed a great new job, and they fixed the sticky (to me) neck issue with the satin finish on the solid maple necks, so it won't be long before I grab another of these amazing guitars! Now, I just gotta figure out which color I'm gonna choose. :)

Last edited:
Should I be worried about straps harming the nitro finish on these?

The the bodies aren't nitro, so I wouldn't think so. But I would use caution if you store them with the straps touching the necks for long periods of time.

Back