The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Does anyone know what would cause darkening on the headstock? I just noticed it today and swear it wasn't there yesterday. I keep it in the case every night. Could it have rubbed on something in there? It's just on the two end points, giving it a slight burnt look.

IMG-0031.jpg

Does anyone know what would cause darkening on the headstock? I just noticed it today and swear it wasn't there yesterday. I keep it in the case every night. Could it have rubbed on something in there? It's just on the two end points, giving it a slight burnt look.

IMG-0031.jpg

That looks quite unusual.

It looks like it could be friction. Or maybe heat, but strange that it has just affected the tips of the headstock.

Maybe it’s turning vintage already. Don’t let anyone else see, or they’ll all want one.

Burnt ends.... Mmmm. That’ll be the next thing.. a whole bunch of bbq inspired features. Roasted necks with burnt ends, extra deep cutaways for those with pork bellies.

Sorry to make light. That is weird!

Thanks for weighing in on my color dilemma. The more I look at it, Golden Mesa is moving into the lead.

Hmmm... interesting... now I have to go check mine!

Runs over to SS... (and get another coffee)...

OK... back after inspection with coffee.
Nope, mine looks non BBQ'd.
Mine sits out at home, or is transported in an older SE gig bag to/from practice. Hmmm..

IMG-0031.jpg

Have you tried running a cloth or paper towel around the inside of the case to test for colorfastness? Given the protective coating on the wood, can you tell at all whether the discoloration is on the surface or internal? Perhaps try a Q-tip soaked in alcohol and rub/dot a spot on the back side of that "point"?

I haven't tried that yet. But the gig bag is the only thing I can think off that constantly brushes the top of the headstock as I take it in and out. It's possible that it's happened gradually and I simply didn't notice until yesterday. I don't mind when stuff happens to my guitars but I like to know what causes it. Mainly so I don't keep doing it!

I haven't tried that yet. But the gig bag is the only thing I can think off that constantly brushes the top of the headstock as I take it in and out. It's possible that it's happened gradually and I simply didn't notice until yesterday. I don't mind when stuff happens to my guitars but I like to know what causes it. Mainly so I don't keep doing it!
Maybe just in "case" (yuck yuck) you could put a white sock over the headstock when in the gig bag?

Yup...no change....mine's good. I keep mine in the gig bag as well. I placed a white microfiber towel on the headstock just now. It's relatively "snug" so I'll keep watch to see if there's any color transfer.

Full disclosure...I am NOT a research scientest....I put liquid paper on a bee once...and it died. But I did stay in a holiday inn express last night.;)

Has anyone observed or heard of rust on the saddles of a SS? I've seen a couple cases of this come up on the used market.

Back