The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Just silver sky’d (santana-ized) the trem cover holes my regular strat. Dry wall spackle and pink acrylic paint. don’t look too close!!!

Santana and Mayer got it right.

Y43APPZ.jpg

Last edited:

Yea...damn my electrifying personality...maybe its the headscarf :p

did you ever figure out what this was?

I have the same problem except... it's on my neck/frets.

it used to be on the scratch plate but I replaced it with a custom made one and shielded it.
the neck still snap, crackles and pops.

I imagine this is hard because every one thinks they have the answer. dryer sheets don't quite work for non-plastic items like the neck and frets.
oh yes, if I touch the bridge with my right hand I cannot replicate the static noise.

I don't want to send this back to PRS because I've already sent back an SS to PRS for a different reason, it came back cracked so I had to swap it at the dealer. sadly the dealer only had one guitar that had a small dent/knick out of it. it was GC so of course they didn't want to give me a discount. I'm not precious with my guitars and I just wanted my SS home, I'd been dealing with problems and shipping it for the first two weeks of owning it...

its a great guitar and I can almost ignore the static problem. I'm hoping it just goes away as I had the same with an LP of mine and it just went away.

edit: I actually just checked the LP today and no it hasn't gone away I just ignore it apparently. I wonder if I'm just static-ly charged like this guy in the video?

Last edited:
I'm hoping it just goes away as I had the same with an LP of mine and it just went away.

edit: I actually just checked the LP today and no it hasn't gone away I just ignore it apparently. I wonder if I'm just static-ly charged like this guy in the video?

Could be - everyone's body chemistry is a little different, or it could be the particular clothing you wear (I won't mention anything about the material properties of silky undergarments...) ;)

Or your shoes. Or where you live - this time of year the air is usually very dry in the northern states and most of Canada (the rest of Canada glares at Vancouver).

I live in Florida, so static is not much of an issue when relative humidity is minimum 55% all year long, excepting maybe three days in January or February.

A colleague and former basement bandmate of mine has (had) very acidic sweat - when he plays a guitar, he has to change the strings if he doesn't wipe it down very carefully (and even then, just in the time playing it has an impact, and strings get swapped far more rapidly than me).

Could be - everyone's body chemistry is a little different, or it could be the particular clothing you wear (I won't mention anything about the material properties of silky undergarments...) ;)

Or your shoes. Or where you live - this time of year the air is usually very dry in the northern states and most of Canada (the rest of Canada glares at Vancouver).

I live in Florida, so static is not much of an issue when relative humidity is minimum 55% all year long, excepting maybe three days in January or February.

A colleague and former basement bandmate of mine has (had) very acidic sweat - when he plays a guitar, he has to change the strings if he doesn't wipe it down very carefully (and even then, just in the time playing it has an impact, and strings get swapped far more rapidly than me).

this could be possible.
I was reading on the Gibson forums when I was trying to figure out what the deal was with my LP standard and people seemed to believe it was because when putting on the lacquer they use an electric charge in order to use less paint. I know they can do this wish cars with metal bodies. not sure how it would work with wood.

I actually am one of this acidic sweat peoples. i need to change strings quite a bit. do you think that has anything to do with it?

Back