The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Noticed over this past weekend the gold has already wore off the volume knob. I do play the Silver Sky a lot, but I play my Suhr Strat more and that knob color is not coming off the #s. Anybody else seen this?

One thing I haven't seen discussed anywhere is how the Silver Sky neck compares to JM's Fender signature guitar series neck. Does anyone know?
Don't know.
That being said, if I understand both JM and PRSh ideology, then I expect that it is a very close match.
I own the SS, and it is extremely playable.

One thing I haven't seen discussed anywhere is how the Silver Sky neck compares to JM's Fender signature guitar series neck. Does anyone know?

It’s been 10 years since I had my Mayer Strat (which I stupidly sold), but I remember it being pretty chunky, which I’ve always liked in a neck. The only Strats that really ever felt good to me where those and the Claptons. So, of course, I LOVE the neck on my SS. Sorry my memory isn’t better to give you more detail!

Got the Silver Sky from Washington Music (hint, they have a special thing going with PRS...buy from them). Guitar is amazing! Curious if anyone has had an issue with the cap coming off the five-way. Very minor detail, but unaccepted from a guitar less than 24 hours old.

Got the Silver Sky from Washington Music (hint, they have a special thing going with PRS...buy from them). Guitar is amazing! Curious if anyone has had an issue with the cap coming off the five-way. Very minor detail, but unaccepted from a guitar less than 24 hours old.
There’s been quite a few reports of cracked switch tips on arrival. Maybe it’s a result of it shipping in a gig bag, idk.
Email PRS customer support and they will send you a new switch cap.

There’s been quite a few reports of cracked switch tips on arrival. Maybe it’s a result of it shipping in a gig bag, idk.
Email PRS customer support and they will send you a new switch cap.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate you answering the asked question many times. I noticed after I posted.

I didn’t pay too much attention before, in regards to the static when touching the pick guard, but I’m getting some now. Was there a solution to this other than using a dryer sheet?

I didn’t pay too much attention before, in regards to the static when touching the pick guard, but I’m getting some now. Was there a solution to this other than using a dryer sheet?
I think the newer ones have copper shielding strips added to the underside of the pick guard. Mine does not have them, and doesn't seem to need it in my environment.

So I found a blemished Silver Sky on Musiciansfriend. Ordered it. Got it. Played it one night and loved it. Went to play it today and there’s hardly any output from the guitar. I have to crank the amp to get even a weak sound out of the PRS. I took off the faceplate and did not notice any bad wiring or anything visible to the eye. Does anyone have any clue what the issue might be? And of course I’ve tried different amps, different cables, etc.

I’m at a loss here. I don’t want to return it if I don’t have to.

So I found a blemished Silver Sky on Musiciansfriend. Ordered it. Got it. Played it one night and loved it. Went to play it today and there’s hardly any output from the guitar. I have to crank the amp to get even a weak sound out of the PRS. I took off the faceplate and did not notice any bad wiring or anything visible to the eye. Does anyone have any clue what the issue might be? And of course I’ve tried different amps, different cables, etc.

I’m at a loss here. I don’t want to return it if I don’t have to.
I had a bad volume pot that caused the same problem. Replaced now and all is well.

I have had mine now for a while but have not played it much though. Spent some time with it over the weekend and had a very nice time with it. I am still a CU24 guy by a mile but I am leaning towards keeping it now as a different flavor to go to.

It seems to like a gain pedal and a clean amp better than the gain side of the same amp...

Okay folks. I have spent the last few posts complaining about not getting my pre-ordered SS, but now I have it in hand. I got it a week ago. A couple of notes: The neck is curly maple, which is a very nice touch. It sits in the rack by three fenders. I find my hands gravitating to the guitar with the curly maple neck...a lot. The feel of the guitar is familiar in my hands. I have a Strat with a JM signature neck that I have played a ton before I got into PRS Guitars. Playing them side by side, I can see why JM likes the SS and wanted that neck profile. Very easy on my hands. While the fretboard radius differ, they feel remarkably the same in my hands. When I plugged the SS into my rig, it sounds awesome! With and without effects. Also, playing the guitar unplugged, it is louder and rings out impressively compared to many of my other guitars. Perhaps it is a testament to the wood drying process used at PRS (I know they get very technical on wood drying to maximize the tonal quality of the woods they use). I was one who wasn't sold on the headstock shape, however, I don't even care bout that anymore after playing it for a week. To all who told me it was well worth the wait...thank you...it was.

Okay folks. I have spent the last few posts complaining about not getting my pre-ordered SS, but now I have it in hand. I got it a week ago. A couple of notes: The neck is curly maple, which is a very nice touch. It sits in the rack by three fenders. I find my hands gravitating to the guitar with the curly maple neck...a lot. The feel of the guitar is familiar in my hands. I have a Strat with a JM signature neck that I have played a ton before I got into PRS Guitars. Playing them side by side, I can see why JM likes the SS and wanted that neck profile. Very easy on my hands. While the fretboard radius differ, they feel remarkably the same in my hands. When I plugged the SS into my rig, it sounds awesome! With and without effects. Also, playing the guitar unplugged, it is louder and rings out impressively compared to many of my other guitars. Perhaps it is a testament to the wood drying process used at PRS (I know they get very technical on wood drying to maximize the tonal quality of the woods they use). I was one who wasn't sold on the headstock shape, however, I don't even care bout that anymore after playing it for a week. To all who told me it was well worth the wait...thank you...it was.
Glad that it showed up and stole the show. Congrats!

I got a Silver Sky, LOVE the guitar, but definitely a bit frustrated with it and here's why:

*I bought the guitar in November from guitar center, and was given the wrong PRS gig bag and tremolo bar. Guitar Center said to remedy this I need to return the guitar, which then needs to be shipped back to PRS. Since I love the guitar, I'm just going to buy a tremolo bar at this point.

*Number paint came off the volume control also instantly too, not really concerned since it doesn't effect operational.

*The pick up selector switch cracked pretty much instantly, which bummed me out because I saved up a bit and traded in gear to afford this. It's definitely the most expensive guitar I bought, so this cracking was disappointing. I'm going to follow up with PRS after reading on this thread that they have helped other people.

*Static popping, i thought I was crazy and even bought new cables, I see on other people had this issue so at least it's not in my head.

*Neck becomes loose. This is the worst one to me, i've never had a bolt in neck guitar so I'm nervous about this. I emailed PRS who told me to contact my dealer (guitar center), who told me over the phone to tighten the screws. I did it once, and now 2 months later it is loose again. Is this common for bolt on neck guitars? Is anyone else having this issue?

None of the problems really are deal breakers because of how awesome the guitar is except this neck issue, I'm neverous the guitar might have a serious problem. Let me know if you've seen this problem! 102 pages of thread was a lot to review, so I haven't' gone through them all...yet.

I got a Silver Sky, LOVE the guitar, but definitely a bit frustrated with it and here's why:

*I bought the guitar in November from guitar center, and was given the wrong PRS gig bag and tremolo bar. Guitar Center said to remedy this I need to return the guitar, which then needs to be shipped back to PRS. Since I love the guitar, I'm just going to buy a tremolo bar at this point.

*Number paint came off the volume control also instantly too, not really concerned since it doesn't effect operational.

*The pick up selector switch cracked pretty much instantly, which bummed me out because I saved up a bit and traded in gear to afford this. It's definitely the most expensive guitar I bought, so this cracking was disappointing. I'm going to follow up with PRS after reading on this thread that they have helped other people.

*Static popping, i thought I was crazy and even bought new cables, I see on other people had this issue so at least it's not in my head.

*Neck becomes loose. This is the worst one to me, i've never had a bolt in neck guitar so I'm nervous about this. I emailed PRS who told me to contact my dealer (guitar center), who told me over the phone to tighten the screws. I did it once, and now 2 months later it is loose again. Is this common for bolt on neck guitars? Is anyone else having this issue?

None of the problems really are deal breakers because of how awesome the guitar is except this neck issue, I'm neverous the guitar might have a serious problem. Let me know if you've seen this problem! 102 pages of thread was a lot to review, so I haven't' gone through them all...yet.
I've got one of the first 500 with case, and it has been super solid.
Send an email to PRS PTC [email protected] and see what they say. No way the neck should be loose. I've got 80 - 100 hours on mine and it's still perfect.

^thanks @dmatthews I contacted PRS PTC when it first happened, who told me to deal with it through the dealer to get a way forward...then the dealer told me to just tigthen it lol I'm going to follow up again with PRS PTC that it's happened a second time.

Every guitar I’ve ever owned except two have had bolt on necks. I’ve never had a neck bolt loosen.
I’m curious if this is a used guitar that GC sent you and if the previous owner had removed the neck? The screw holes may have been cross threaded.

Back