The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

So I finally have my silver sky. Still getting used to the neck; it's a tad thicker and wider than I'm used to. Also having the same problem with the switch tip. It pretty much arrived already cracked. Is there a way to get a replacement?

So I finally have my silver sky. Still getting used to the neck; it's a tad thicker and wider than I'm used to. Also having the same problem with the switch tip. It pretty much arrived already cracked. Is there a way to get a replacement?
Are you talking about the pickup selector cover (white plastic piece)? If so, mine was cracked as well. I called the PRS customer support line and they sent me a replacement.

Contact Customer Service. They'll take care of you.

Quick question. Does the SS ship with wrench for the truss rod and the allen keys for the saddles? I had a CU22 that came with the wrench but I don't remember it coming with allen keys.

Asking because the guitar was received on my behalf in my home country and someone's going to be bringing it to me. Just wanna make sure I have everything I need in case I want to adjust something on the guitar.

If it doesn't, what size is required?
Stationed in Oz until July ‘19.....Republic of Singapore Air Force member, by any chance ? I know they are generally based in WA but know that they conduct some training iat Oakey and Shoalwater in Qld.

I'll jump in now. I pre-ordered a tungsten Silver Sky on the day they released to the public for pre-ordering and I'm still waiting. Is anyone else in the same boat? Just wondering.

That sux. Like you I pre ordered a Tungsten SS as soon as they were announced and while I didn’t get it when the first dropped to owners Stateside, I had it in my hands within a few weeks of that date. I’m in Oz so I thought that was great.

Hope to see a NGD some time real soon. Hand in there, you’ll love it.

As an owner of 2 Strats - one a standard American Strat made around 2002 with maple neck (not a great guitar tone wise - but I have installed a GK pickup on it, so I don't want to let it go) and the other a 65 reissue Strat with rosewood neck (a really good sounding Strat), I was not sure whether I would be interested in buying a PRS Strat & certainly would not unless I played one. John Mayer is a big buy with big hands and fingers & I am the opposite, so I had concerns about whether this guitar would be playable for me.

Long story short, my buddy after waiting 9 months finally got his and I had a chance to play it and my 65 reissue Strat side by side through a nice tube amp that works well with Strats. I played all 5 positions with only clean setting with EQ knobs on the amp set on about 5 and some reverb in some cases and in other cases with just some delay in place of reverb Here are a few observations.

1. The Silver Star is a high quality instrument - much better made than my 65 reissue Strat
2. I had no issues with the size of the frets on the Silver Star - they are fine
3. The size of the Silver Star was not an issue for my small body when played sitting down.
4. The set up of this Silver Star was great & action not too high or too low. It was gig ready. It felt like I was playing a PRS and not a Fender.
5. Playability at least for me was better than my Strat.
6. I liked that it had the extra fret as compared to the 65 reissue. (If you play "One Of These Nights" by the Eagles, you will know what I mean)
7. The neck was not an issue for my small hands or fingers (at least compared to other Strats)

Tone wise at least to my ears, the sounds of the Silver Star was pretty much that of an an authentic Strat sound in all pick up positions with the possible exception of position 2 (neck & middle pick ups), which I thought may have lacked just a bit of the "quackyness" that I look for when comping in this position. All other positions were spot on.

Overall, tone wise the guitar seemed to have just a bit more "umph" in all positions than my Strat. Maybe this was due to the distance between the pickups and the strings. For sure the action on my 65 Reissue Start was higher than on the Silver Star.

All in all The Silver Star is a great, well made guitar & I would recommend it to anyone looking for a Strat like guitar. And the price for this is reasonable.

Personally, I am on the fence & my wife has asked me why I need "3 Strats", so may have to sell one first....

Never can find one locally to try.

I love thick necks...this might be the strat I’ve always wanted but never could find

Out of curiosity, has anyone measured their Silver Sky neck yet? I don't recall coming across measurements online so far.

Turns out that I found a thread on this forum where my dealer sold two tungstens (presumably one of which I had pre-ordered back on 5th of March) in July. Looks like I'm going to have to get my money back. All that waiting and I should have had it back in July. :(

In other news, my custom 22 is still pretty awesome! :)

Its obvious the dealer hasn't delivered - just browse a lot of the music retailers that sell PRS Silver Sky and they have ALL had stock come in and out over the past year. I didn't pre-order and live in the UK (notorious for not being at the front of the queue when stock is allocated) yet if I wanted a Tungsten Silver Sky, I could order one today and have it by Christmas. I know we have 'Andertons' but there are numerous other retailers and most, if not all that stock PRS, have Silver Sky's ready to dispatch. It would probably have been quicker to buy from Europe and Ship back to the US - although I am sure that would be unnecessary as I expect numerous US retailers have stock...

Turns out that I found a thread on this forum where my dealer sold two tungstens (presumably one of which I had pre-ordered back on 5th of March) in July. Looks like I'm going to have to get my money back. All that waiting and I should have had it back in July. :(

I wouldn't give up. I suggest contacting Matt Emick at Sweetwater where I got my Silver Sky. They've been getting them in, and the wait time from I understand might be only a few weeks. Tell Matt that Frank sent you. Good luck! A GREAT GUITAR!!

Unfortunately that sounds like it was easily what happened. Dude should give you a discount and have it in your hands right now for your trouble.

Hi Everyone, I have this exact same issue. Were you guys able to come up with a solution?

I did pull the pickguard off last week to check for a grounding wire off or something. Nothing looks wrong. I have several Suhr, a couple more PRS, the Silver Sky is the only one popping when I touch the middle pickup, bottom height adjustment screw. I am planning to send it in after Christmas.

Back