The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I dunno man, those 635 pickups sound really good.

Yes, I think you may have something there. Just noticed that the Interwebs now have a lot more tone demos than there used to be. Has it been half a year already? I think I may need to get one, you know, just in case I need a guitar like that. ;)

Yes, I think you may have something there. Just noticed that the Interwebs now have a lot more tone demos than there used to be. Has it been half a year already? I think I may need to get one, you know, just in case I need a guitar like that. ;)

The pickups are specced at 6.4k, so assuming they use 42ga wire that puts them in the "hot vintage" category. Clearly though, they have made smart use of magnets and wire because they are full range, not that squished and muddy sound you get from some overwound Strat pups.

The pickups are specced at 6.4k, so assuming they use 42ga wire that puts them in the "hot vintage" category. Clearly though, they have made smart use of magnets and wire because they are full range, not that squished and muddy sound you get from some overwound Strat pups.

Groovy.

I ordered a Silver Sky in mid August, and can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm curious if anyone has any insight regarding the backlog, and if I can expect to receive it anytime soon?

Can i offer a controversial opinion, i don't like the Silver Sky. I just don't, i never will.

To my eye, its jarring, to my ear it sounds wrong.

And another controversial opinion of mine, i don't like John Mayer and his music.

Give me a NF3 or a SAS over this guitar any day.

/Runs away and hides....

Can i offer a controversial opinion, i don't like the Silver Sky. I just don't, i never will.

And another controversial opinion of mine, i don't like John Mayer and his music.

/Runs away and hides....

To each his own. Like what you gotta like.

But you got this one thing wrong: the sound. I have played quite a lot of sixties Strat and still have a 64 model and can assure you: My Silver Sky sounds not only like a vintage Strat, it sounds like a very good vintage Strat!

/Runs away and hides....

Your opinion is pretty much worthless unless you own one or spent anytime playing it. Have you used one on a gig? If you bought one and sold it on I would be interested to hear what it was about the sound you didn't like. If your just going off videos and your dislike for John Mayer then.....your just being antagonistic!

I have recently bought and sold a Fender Custom shop strat, a Ernie Ball Music man cutlass, a G&L S500. I've had multiple US Strats, just sold my Fender Roland Strat, borrowed and played my brother Suhr Classic Pro and a friends original 1963 Strat.

I think the Silver Sky beats them all hands down. I dont care who's name is on the headstock nor that the headstock doesn't look like a Fender. It has the most seductive neck I've ever played and sounds amazing.

Find a forum where you can add some value.

Did any forum members attend the John Mayer show at the Modell Lyric Opera House? I know it was an acoustic show, but there was a Silver Sky that was auctioned off for charity . I was out of town and could not attend the show.

I drank the Koolaid and picked up a Frost SS this week. I am digging that all 5 selector switch positions have very useable tones and that the tone controls are more than on/off switches. The neck sure does feel different from my Strat, Tele, LP or PRS CE24, but I adjusted very quickly. This thing is light!

Who is the "JM" who did the final check?

Stay Frosty.

/Runs away and hides....

Alllllrighty then... What color are you going to get?

/Runs away and hides....

"... You don't know who I am, but I know where you live, sex education teacher.............. Oh, Hank... We got a tee time at 11 am Sunday......."
fcb356ce0dd6fbde647dd7e32563d576--random-things-funny-things.jpg

While it was playing I couldn't help but think about how similar LP fans were when PRS SC first came out. Then the Lawsuit. Then PRS wins. Now it is totally OK for PRS to have an SC and people buy the one they feel has the best fit for them. They are not swayed by brand loyalty for something "vintage".

Wait until PRS comes out with ones that have a maple neck, then bigger frets, then HSS, then HSH, then a million colors, then 10 tops, then Quilt tops...............

Yeah. Jimi bends are easy on this guitar. No worries with 3 note bends. No fretting out. Im finding this guitar easy to play with 10s. Easier than my old strats.

Im having a little trouble getting my thumb to fret over the top as the neck is a bit thicker than I am used to. Its more difficult the closer I get to the nut. Im either going to have to grow another couple of mls on my thumb or work on my technique.

Have a look at the John Meyer video he posted to instagram. He talks about the radius and describes how the vintage radius makes playing with thumb over the top and Jimi style extensions (6&9s) easy to play.

I'm no slide player, but my buddies who are say either a whole separate guitar, set up just for it, or at last one set up with higher action are needed. That's why I don't hardly ever even try it. I wouldn't do it enough to go raising the action on one of my guitars just for that.

Wait until PRS comes out with ones that have a maple neck, then bigger frets, then HSS, then HSH, then a million colors, then 10 tops, then Quilt tops...............
DILLY DILLY! (I know, I'm a broken record... drop the NF3 neck on this and I'm in immediately! Be nice, and announce it a few months ahead of time so I can sell all my other Strat style guitars, please! ;))

I use a Jay Turser single cut semi-hollow with ceramics just for slide... it moans, wails, and screams... action set high...
That is its job... slide guitar....

I'm no slide player, but my buddies who are say either a whole separate guitar, set up just for it, or at last one set up with higher action are needed. That's why I don't hardly ever even try it. I wouldn't do it enough to go raising the action on one of my guitars just for that.

Desirable, maybe. Needed? No. Dave Weiner plays slide on the guitar he plays 'regularly'. Same for Boscoe France, although Roscoe's action may be a little higher. Playing slide on a guitar with what we'd consider 'normal' action requires a softer touch.

Disclaimer: I can't play slide. I've tried, and I haven't given up, but I'm not good at it.

I play slide on any of my guitars. They're all 10" radius with a PRS factory spec action. I'd guess you're going to be more prone to fret out on the 7.25" radius unless you raise the high strings a little.

But like Alan said, it depends on your technique.

Back