The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I got my Frost Silver Sky today.

On my gig bag is a sticker that says MOD 8/20/2018.

So the guitar I received on 8/31 was made only 11 days earlier? Or the gigbag was?

I love mine by the way. The pickups and radius are my favorite. Neck is kinda sticky, though. Anyone else?

I got my Frost Silver Sky today.

On my gig bag is a sticker that says MOD 8/20/2018.

So the guitar I received on 8/31 was made only 11 days earlier? Or the gigbag was?

I love mine by the way. The pickups and radius are my favorite. Neck is kinda sticky, though. Anyone else?
Congrats!
Is the sticker attached to the bag, or just laying in with the guitar?
Curious cuz I think there's been some shielding on the back of the plate recently.

Neck is kinda sticky, though. Anyone else?

Yes neck is sticky and I wonder how you can remove the gloss.
What grit scotch brite or sand paper?
I got these sponge backed sand paper in various grits that can conform to the neck very nicely.

And then I would apply Gun Stock Oil to it. Any suggestion for removing the gloss?

Nitro is sticky when it's fresh. It'll get less sticky over time as it cures. There are several ways to knock the gloss down, though, easily found via Google search. No oil needed unless you really go to town and sand it down to bare wood.

Very possible the guitar was completed on 8/20. These things are selling like crazy.

I didn't realize the manufacture date was also on the hang tag.

It was made 8/20/2018.

It blows my mind that just 11 days ago this thing was at the factory!

I feel pretty darn lucky because I know how long others have had to wait.

My neck is already getting better after it's been out of it's gig bag most of the day.

But I thought they used poly at PRS except in special cases? I know my satin black S2 Vela is nitro.

My Silver Sky is hanging next to what I used to think was the best production s type guitar, an Ernie Ball Music Man BFR Cutlass in Malibu Gold with a bound roasted flame maple neck/rosewood fretboard.

Playability, the Cutlass is right up there. Feel, too. But the pickups on the Silver Sky win. No competition.

I also prefer the rounder radius. I thought I prefered flatter fretboards. But then I got a 1980 Fender Lead II which has a 7 1/4" radius. The frets and set up are perfect and it plays like a dream. The Silver Sky feels a bit like it.

Before the Cutlass, I thought my RW EJ Strat was #1.

It's crazy the quality of guitar you can just order off of the internet and it show up at your door a day or two later and just blow your mind with playability and tone!

Now I'm thinking I'd like to sell most of my other guitars. I'm a strat guy anyway, and other than a LP special with p90s, I don't really want much else (might hold on to my EBMM St Vincent though!)

I finally had a chance to play a SS and give it a good workout. It's definitely a good guitar and I understand the appeal. If I were looking for a S type guitar the SS would merit serious consideration. I prefer an ash body & maple fretboard so this would be a change of pace. I'm sure I'll end up getting one in the future.

Hi everyone ! I've just picked up the ss in tungsten and joined the PRS family !
I'm loving the sound and feel of the guitar but just wondering is anyone else having loads of static noises when touching the pickguard after the plastic is removed? I'm regretting removing the plastic now but I guess I cant stick it back on. I know people wipe it with dryer sheets but is there a more permanent cure?

Thanks!

Hi everyone ! I've just picked up the ss in tungsten and joined the PRS family !
I'm loving the sound and feel of the guitar but just wondering is anyone else having loads of static noises when touching the pickguard after the plastic is removed? I'm regretting removing the plastic now but I guess I cant stick it back on. I know people wipe it with dryer sheets but is there a more permanent cure?

Thanks!
Mine did when I first took the plastic off too. I did the dryer sheet trick and it helped.
Then eventually it just stopped doing it.

I wonder if the act of removing the plastic causes a build up of static, and it takes time for it to dissipate.

Fingers crossed the static will go away tomorrow.

Did anyone play with the pickup height? I've fiddled with it and now cant remember where it was stock.

Mine did when I first took the plastic off too. I did the dryer sheet trick and it helped.
Then eventually it just stopped doing it.

I wonder if the act of removing the plastic causes a build up of static, and it takes time for it to dissipate.

Thanks!
Congrats and welcome to the club! Never had the static issue my self, and haven't modified the pup height.
Big help eh?

Nitro on PRS necks smooth out very quickly after you play the guitar for a few days. I actually prefer the nitro necks to satin necks.....

Congrats and welcome to the club! Never had the static issue my self, and haven't modified the pup height.
Big help eh?

Thanks ! Actually may I ask what the pickup heights are stock since you havent changed it?

Back