The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I want one in Clapton green!!

It's actually 7Up green.... which isn't a Coke product, so that could be a problem for you.

tumblr_n0lkm64fdO1rtqh62o1_400.jpg

Just look at that green! It's just so perfect!!

I had one just like that back in the late 80s. Man, I miss it.

I'll add to the discussion here, rather than my NGD post.
I spent much of last night playing on it and think it's really excellent. The pickups (well overall tone, but you get the point) are the most remarkable bit. Ive read the positive feedback on them, and heard demonstrations, but I guess I wasn't fully aware of just how nuanced and balanced they sound. I have an American Original 50s strat as a, partial, point of comparison. I'm not going to slag that guitar off. I really like it - some may find it's neck absurdly thick, but I find it really comfortable and it sounds great. Plus, I got it for a confusingly good price.
Still, common retail price is lower, but in the same ball park as the silver sky. However, the build quality on the PRS is SOO much better. Even on these high end US strats, the knobs are cheap, the switching feels flimsy, and the trem seems fine, but unremarkable (I block them anyway). All of those details, plus the fretwork, on the Silver are just objectively better.

The one are of constructive feedback that I'd mention is that I get the sense that the PRS neck join design on the CE seems to be superior to the silver sky (see pics). The CE neck has a minimal a gap, as I can imagine is practical, between the neck and the body. The silver sky, on the other hand, has a bit of "gapping" which is similar to the fender. Not a deal breaker for me, but I am curious as to why the CE seems so much more well done in that regard. Thoughts????

CE Upper
vaywFFX.jpg

SilSky Upper
NNKFHqR.jpg

CE Lower
CIopb46.jpg

SilSky Lower
bEBrC0B.jpg

Just got a call from my local dealer, my Horizon has arrived earlier than expected! Collecting it tomorrow. It will join my Onyx. Let's see how consistent the guitars are. My Tungsten is supposed to arrive in Jan/Feb next year. If it comes by Christmas, that would be a bonus!
You're getting 3 Silver Sky guitars?!

I'll add to the discussion here, rather than my NGD post.
I spent much of last night playing on it and think it's really excellent. The pickups (well overall tone, but you get the point) are the most remarkable bit. Ive read the positive feedback on them, and heard demonstrations, but I guess I wasn't fully aware of just how nuanced and balanced they sound. I have an American Original 50s strat as a, partial, point of comparison. I'm not going to slag that guitar off. I really like it - some may find it's neck absurdly thick, but I find it really comfortable and it sounds great. Plus, I got it for a confusingly good price.
Still, common retail price is lower, but in the same ball park as the silver sky. However, the build quality on the PRS is SOO much better. Even on these high end US strats, the knobs are cheap, the switching feels flimsy, and the trem seems fine, but unremarkable (I block them anyway). All of those details, plus the fretwork, on the Silver are just objectively better.

The one are of constructive feedback that I'd mention is that I get the sense that the PRS neck join design on the CE seems to be superior to the silver sky (see pics). The CE neck has a minimal a gap, as I can imagine is practical, between the neck and the body. The silver sky, on the other hand, has a bit of "gapping" which is similar to the fender. Not a deal breaker for me, but I am curious as to why the CE seems so much more well done in that regard. Thoughts????

CE Upper
vaywFFX.jpg

SilSky Upper
NNKFHqR.jpg

CE Lower
CIopb46.jpg

SilSky Lower
bEBrC0B.jpg

Is the fretboard on all the Silver Sky guitars really THAT dark? It seems that in all of the owner photos, the board looks almost ebony like. If so, I dig that. I dig it a lot.

I just played mine tonight. I have one of the first 250 US guitars. I noticed I’m wearing the numbers off the volume knob!

Is the fretboard on all the Silver Sky guitars really THAT dark? It seems that in all of the owner photos, the board looks almost ebony like. If so, I dig that. I dig it a lot.

Mine have dark boards too.

Has anyone fidgeted with the pickup height? Mine arrived with all 3 pickups seemingly at the same height, which I’ve never really had on my strats. I lowered the neck and middle, and finding it more to my taste

People are so ungreatful it just makes me shake my head.

Im not a fan of John’s but he is very talented for what he does. If I was a guitar maker Id jump at the chance to build a guitar for him.

And then Paul releases it so anyone can owm one..

I've had my Horizon SS for a couple of weeks now, and have had her out to a couple of gigs, so I think it's high time I post my thoughts.

First and foremost, the neck was definitely chunkier than I was expecting. I'm a little dude, so it was a bit off-putting at first. However, once I threw a new set of strings on there and played around a bit, my hands instantly got used to it - and fell in love. It's also got a great weight and is very well balanced.

I don't know what kind of magic dust or metal went into those pickups, but man are they something special. I'm blown away by actually having a usable bridge pickup in a 3-pickup guitar, and I even found myself playing in position 3 for a lot of the night - which I don't think I've ever done.

I brought both the SS and my Suhr Ian Thornley model out to band practice, and my bass player immediately said that the Suhr could take a back seat to the SS from now on. This band plays covers from the 60s through today, and the SS was more than capable of holding its own for everything we play.

Very happy with this pickup to say the least. Sadly, not so happy with my locking strap, which busted mid-set and resulted in a fine-looking ding near the back strap pin. Ah well, guitars are meant to be played and there's nothing wrong with a little battle-damage!
You are sooo right with the bridge pu. What I do is to turn the treble tone knob to 5, then the sound is pretty „bridge humbucker in a strat“. Also my first time gigging experience with my first edition onyx ssky was was extremely gratifying...

Very excited to enjoy my NGD today, with a Horizon model. Enjoying the pickups all around, especially the bridge pickup, but have a pretty gnarly metallic ringing on the G string (only the G string). The ringing on the G string is really pronounced and annoying, and I can even hear it when playing some open chords, like a D chord. Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on whether it will go away with a few days of playing?

Very excited to enjoy my NGD today, with a Horizon model. Enjoying the pickups all around, especially the bridge pickup, but have a pretty gnarly metallic ringing on the G string (only the G string). The ringing on the G string is really pronounced and annoying, and I can even hear it when playing some open chords, like a D chord. Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on whether it will go away with a few days of playing?

Try adjusting the truss rod. Of the 5 PRS's I've owned, including McCarty 245 and 594 models, the guitars all came from factory with the truss rods not adjusted. Some might say that this is something the retailer is supposed to do for the customer, but not all retailers do it. It is also something that the owner can do, given that the tools are provided with the guitar, so perhaps this is one of the reasons why some retailers don't do it. Just my observation.

Another thing is that the G bridge saddle might have come down a bit. I have observed that the Silver Sky bridge saddle adjustment grub screws are quite loose. During a string change, while flipping the guitar and moving it around, I found that all my saddles dropped and some were at weird angles after I strung up. I had to re-adjust them up.

Back