The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I've got my Horizon Silver Sky in-hand now, other than a 6 oz weight difference, and considering that it is made roughly 5 months after the Onyx one, they are remarkably similar, showing PRS's consistency. Even the asymmetrical neck profile is exactly the same. The only gripe I have so far with the guitar is the CA glue filling the fretboard grain only around the inlays, quite disappointing considering the high quality of the rest of the instrument.

I fully intend to refinish one or more of them in custom color, and in all probability refret one of them to slightly larger wire, just so that I have a variety. Just like my Strats, they don’t stay original for long!

Yeah! Way to be an owner!

Yeah, if they came with dgt wire, I would be much more interested myself

Just get one and customize it the way you like it. I encourage you to! We've done that with Strats for decades. Especially since the Silver Sky is essentially a Strat style variant, it would seem like the natural thing to do.

I fully intend to refinish one or more of them in custom color, and in all probability refret one of them to slightly larger wire, just so that I have a variety. Just like my Strats, they don’t stay original for long!

Did you see where Shawn verified the pickups are not standard S-style size. So switching pickups may not be as simple as remove/replace.

Did you see where Shawn verified the pickups are not standard S-style size. So switching pickups may not be as simple as remove/replace.

I think the PRS single coils are great, I personally wouldn't touch them. Unless you're hoping to go with humbuckers or something, then the approach would be similar to any other SSS configured Strat.

Why does everyone think dentists can buy whatever we want??!?!!?:confused:
That is because, my sister is a dentist. And she buys whatever she wants.....as a matter of fact, she bought me two more SSkys ,albeit no first editions like my onyx. The Tungsten and Horizon which I also own sound pretty similiar. The only discernable difference is the weight with the Onyx First Edition being to quote Chick “Light as a feather”.

Why does everyone think dentists can buy whatever we want??!?!!?:confused:

Maybe because the amount it costs to visit a dentist, the regularity of repeat business and the reputation that they earn a 'lot' of money. Maybe they can't buy everything they want, that island retreat or private jet but 'generally' have more 'disposable' income to spend on the finer things...

That is because, my sister is a dentist. And she buys whatever she wants.....as a matter of fact, she bought me two more SSkys ,albeit no first editions like my onyx. The Tungsten and Horizon which I also own sound pretty similiar. The only discernable difference is the weight with the Onyx First Edition being to quote Chick “Light as a feather”.

Does your sister have room for another brother?

tumblr_n0lkm64fdO1rtqh62o1_400.jpg

Just look at that green! It's just so perfect!!

I've had my Horizon SS for a couple of weeks now, and have had her out to a couple of gigs, so I think it's high time I post my thoughts.

First and foremost, the neck was definitely chunkier than I was expecting. I'm a little dude, so it was a bit off-putting at first. However, once I threw a new set of strings on there and played around a bit, my hands instantly got used to it - and fell in love. It's also got a great weight and is very well balanced.

I don't know what kind of magic dust or metal went into those pickups, but man are they something special. I'm blown away by actually having a usable bridge pickup in a 3-pickup guitar, and I even found myself playing in position 3 for a lot of the night - which I don't think I've ever done.

I brought both the SS and my Suhr Ian Thornley model out to band practice, and my bass player immediately said that the Suhr could take a back seat to the SS from now on. This band plays covers from the 60s through today, and the SS was more than capable of holding its own for everything we play.

Very happy with this pickup to say the least. Sadly, not so happy with my locking strap, which busted mid-set and resulted in a fine-looking ding near the back strap pin. Ah well, guitars are meant to be played and there's nothing wrong with a little battle-damage!

I've had my Horizon SS for a couple of weeks now, and have had her out to a couple of gigs, so I think it's high time I post my thoughts.

First and foremost, the neck was definitely chunkier than I was expecting. I'm a little dude, so it was a bit off-putting at first. However, once I threw a new set of strings on there and played around a bit, my hands instantly got used to it - and fell in love. It's also got a great weight and is very well balanced.

I don't know what kind of magic dust or metal went into those pickups, but man are they something special. I'm blown away by actually having a usable bridge pickup in a 3-pickup guitar, and I even found myself playing in position 3 for a lot of the night - which I don't think I've ever done.

I brought both the SS and my Suhr Ian Thornley model out to band practice, and my bass player immediately said that the Suhr could take a back seat to the SS from now on. This band plays covers from the 60s through today, and the SS was more than capable of holding its own for everything we play.

Very happy with this pickup to say the least. Sadly, not so happy with my locking strap, which busted mid-set and resulted in a fine-looking ding near the back strap pin. Ah well, guitars are meant to be played and there's nothing wrong with a little battle-damage!

You’ve made it your own now! You truly are the owner!!

Same observation here regarding the bridge pup. It's awesome.

Back