The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

My Brad Paisley tele is assymetrical the opposite directoin, and it's awesome.
I know Mayer wraps the thumb a LOT....wonder if this makes it easier.

can you confirm?

I do wrap my thumb over quite often but I don't have large hands, so the low shoulder on the bass side is a little strange for me. This is the only bugbear I have with the guitar, it is otherwise really great.

On my Silver Sky, there is a lot more meat on the treble side and a low shoulder on the bass side, meaning that it is asymmetric in the opposite way than what we know as usual. I asked PRS customer service and they said that the Silver Sky is reverse asymmetric and was specified to be that way by Paul Smith and John Mayer. Would you take a look again closely and see if what PRS customer service says is true. Or is there something wrong with mine?

As I said, There is no asymmetrical neck carve on my Silver Sky. At least nothing I am aware of. I haven't measured it out, but there is nothing i can "feel" in that regard. Feels natural and just right without thinking about it. FWIW, neck profile is very similar to my 1964 Fender Stratocaster.

There is another forum member whom I've had a conversation with and he said he noticed the asymmetry as well. So between you, him and me, it's two Yes and one No. Hopefully we get more owners chiming in.

Sitting here staring at the neck from the top down and from the back...
I "think" I see what you're getting at, but wonder if my eyes are playing tricks on me because of the offset headstock wings.

On my Silver Sky, there is a lot more meat on the treble side and a low shoulder on the bass side, meaning that it is asymmetric in the opposite way than what we know as usual. I asked PRS customer service and they said that the Silver Sky is reverse asymmetric and was specified to be that way by Paul Smith and John Mayer. Would you take a look again closely and see if what PRS customer service says is true. Or is there something wrong with mine?
Did you think I was lying to you?

Sitting here staring at the neck from the top down and from the back...
I "think" I see what you're getting at, but wonder if my eyes are playing tricks on me because of the offset headstock wings.

Not referring to the headstock or view from the back, more like the neck carve/profile that you grasp with your hand.

Did you think I was lying to you?
No, I'm wondering to what degree the asymmetry variances are between one Silver Sky to another, how consistent the final product is in that respect, and whether owners are perceiving it or not. And in the end I also wonder at which end of the scale mine lies as compared to others, because the asymmetry on mine is extremely obvious.

I gotta say neck profile is something I'm yet to delve into... I got 9 guitars, most I can say is which neck is thick and which is thin LOL

No, I'm wondering to what degree the asymmetry variances are between one Silver Sky to another, how consistent the final product is in that respect, and whether owners are perceiving it or not. And in the end I also wonder at which end of the scale mine lies as compared to others, because the asymmetry on mine is extremely obvious.
The way PRS makes bodies and necks etc?
They're all the same.

I have no insight in the production process of the Silver Sky, but I think it is quite safe to assume that the necks are not shaped by hand but with a CNC machine. So tolerances are expected to be very small if there are any at all. If I get the philosophy behind the Silver Sky right, consistency is King.

And as you used the word "perceive": perception, of course, is subjective. So I would not worry too much, but enjoy and play your Silver Sky instead.

aldoushuxley1-2x.jpg~original

I have no insight in the production process of the Silver Sky, but I think it is quite safe to assume that the necks are not shaped by hand but with a CNC machine. So tolerances are expected to be very small if there are any at all. If I get the philosophy behind the Silver Sky right, consistency is King.

And as you used the word "perceive": perception, of course, is subjective. So I would not worry too much, but enjoy and play your Silver Sky instead.

Yes, I did use the word perceive because we all observe, feel and notice things differently. Case in point here, you believe that there is very high consistency between Silver Skies and they should all be virtually the same, but yet you notice no asymmetry in the neck profile, and judging from your responses, firmly believe this to be true. But really it's all down to perception, subjectivity as you correctly pointed out.

Know what sucks? CITES!

I just got a call from my local shop. My Silver Sky, which has been at the US side of the border for 3 weeks has finally crossed into Canada. Now it's another 2 weeks on the Canada side, then a week to ship to me......... But on the positive side, at least I can finally say my guitar is in the country!

Know what sucks? CITES!

I just got a call from my local shop. My Silver Sky, which has been at the US side of the border for 3 weeks has finally crossed into Canada. Now it's another 2 weeks on the Canada side, then a week to ship to me......... But on the positive side, at least I can finally say my guitar is in the country!
What's up with that?!!???
The person I bought mine from got hers from "The Guitar Store" in Ontario almost a month ago.

What's up with that?!!???
The person I bought mine from got hers from "The Guitar Store" in Ontario almost a month ago.

I wish I knew. The Guitar Store usually gets things a bit quicker than everyone else, not sure how they do it.

I'm hoping to hear from more owners what they think of the guitar. For me, the guitar sounds fantastic, plays extremely well, but I'm curious to know if any owners notice the asymmetrical neck profile. I'm surprised none of very many reviews didn't catch this detail.
After reading your post I took a look at the neck of mine and I cannot see/feel any noticeable asymmetry.

Got mine from The Guitar Shop (I guess that's the 'store' you're referring to) as well. Onyx, with commemorative hardshell. :)

Yeah sorry, Guitar Shop. I was going to order from them but decided to just put some money down at my local store. They told me they ordered as soon as the guitars were available for order so I don't know why the wait has been so long. They are pretty sure mine will come with the hardshell case (since it was shipped several weeks ago), but I guess I'll see when it finally arrives.

Back