The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

OK, was able to set it up a bit (been tweaking on it still). A quick thought on it...
SOUNDS: Sounds amazing. Been comparing the pickups to my 63 John Cruz CS Strat and they are similar. Can't say I like the sound of one better than the other, just a bit different. Sounds like it's a Strat for sure.
PLAYABILITY: Plays good to great. Very even sounding, chords sound great in any position. Same thing with playing lead. No volume lose between pick up positions. The neck is very comfortable, very strat like but I'm not sure I can get use to the little frets.
FINISH: It's a PRS dumb a$$! It's perfect!

I think they got it right with this one. If they wanted to make a great sounding strat, then mission accomplished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, now I've got a new dilemma as I was all set to get an American Professional model!

I'll have to try them both out side by side. Obviously the QC of PRS will be better but the sound of the blended Alnico's is what is attracting me to the Fender Am Pro.

Kudo's to PRS on another great guitar! I've listened to GC's, PRS's, and John Mayer's demo's and they all sounded outstanding, but the tone wasn't exactly what I have in mind... that being said, if I can get the tone I want, I'd much prefer the excellence in a PRS fit, form, and finish... especially at that price point for a PRS. I spent about 6 months before buying my S2 Singlecut, and it is everything I needed without the price tag... and I absolutely love my, now somewhat rare, Vanilla blank! :D. Still looking for a Bigsby model to come about.

Would love to hear any demo's of the Silver Sky against the American Pro models.

Honestly, this is more like a Fender Signature model. Closer to an Eric Johnson or maybe one of their American Vintage models. But, it's beyond those to me. The Fender Pro models are cool, but I don't think those will have the sonic character that this guitar has. Just my thought. Tone is in the ear of the beholder!

Tone is in the ear of the beholder!

Completely agree... I should have been a little more specific. I have most of the lead tones I'm looking for with the S2 SC... lots of delays and long sustained leads, it's that amazing bell-like, wide open, sound that one or more of the Fender 5-way gives... I don't even know which position, I just know when I hear it! Of course I love that Pink Floyd lead sound as well, but it's mostly for hard strumming that I'm looking to utilize it for, I'm primarily an acoustic player... and even more a keys guy, lol!

Thanks for your thoughts!

I think we can add a 3rd "Main Reason". That being collecting as a measure of self worth. A measuring stick for what you have done in life. People are insecure and have fragile egos by nature. There is no better reassurance mechanism than surrounding ones self with material possessions. That includes cars, guitars, and your house. Look at how many people have way more home than they need. Maybe some want to have the better one than their friends and that is a whole other psychological discussion. But, do you feel better about yourself if you are walking around in your mcmansion or a small shack? Same thing with guitars. I personally don't have 30 expensive guitars and that is by choice. I just don't like things taking up space in my house. But, it must feel darn good to walk into a dedicated room with all of those hanging on the wall. Kinda like... "yeah, I've made it in life" type of feeling. Just my 2 cents.
It’s hard for me to understand that kind of mechanism. Here’s my take.

I think people simply get the best they can afford. So if you’re affluent, the best would tend to be the Ferrari, that opulent mansion, that 59 Les Paul.

When you drive your Ferrari out on the streets and it receives the envious gawks and awes, sure it does remind you subconsciously that ‘you’ve made it’, but that’s just an incidental by-product and hardly the reason you bought the car.

The more likely reason is because it’s beautiful, it’s a performance marvel, and it’s the best you could afford. It’s a treasure, basically.

You hardly need any more reason to know ‘you’ve arrived’ than knowing your bank account balance.

It’s the same with guitars, only it’s even less likely guitars are a status symbol, because besides the ultra small PRS fanclub community, hardly anyone out there even knows what a private stock guitar costs. Non-guitarists would look at Bernie Marsden’s 59 Les Paul aka ‘The Beast’ and go ‘meh’. How could you glean emotional status affirmation from others when casual observers don’t even know what the item is worth? The worth is really only known to you.

I think people collect guitars because they see them as treasure. Because of some intrinsic value apparent to them. Because monster tone, unobtanium wood, beauty, rarity etc. The guitars don’t make them feel rich or ‘I’ve arrived’. It makes them feel blissful to be around such treasure, to be able to open up that case and feel the awe.

The elegant way to put it - because of passion.

The not so elegant way - greed. Greed for the best treasure they can afford.

I’m greedy. Very. Guilty as charged. I just wish I was affluent!!

Last edited:

I think people simply get the best they can afford. So if you’re affluent, the best would tend to be the Ferrari, that opulent mansion, that 59 Les Paul.

When you drive your Ferrari out on the streets and it receives the envious gawks and awes, sure it does remind you subconsciously that ‘you’ve made it’, but that’s just an incidental by-product and hardly the reason you bought the car.

The more likely reason is because it’s beautiful, it’s a performance marvel, and it’s the best you could afford. It’s a treasure, basically.

You hardly need any more reason to know ‘you’ve arrived’ than knowing your bank account balance.

It’s the same with guitars, only it’s even less likely guitars are a status symbol, because besides the ultra small PRS fanclub community, hardly anyone out there even knows what a private stock guitar costs. Non-guitarists would look at Bernie Marsden’s 59 Les Paul aka ‘The Beast’ and go ‘meh’. How could you glean emotional status affirmation from others when casual observers don’t even know what the item is worth? The worth is really only known to you.

I think people collect guitars because they see them as treasure. Because of some intrinsic value apparent to them. Because monster tone, unobtanium wood, beauty, rarity etc. The guitars don’t make them feel rich or ‘I’ve arrived’. It makes them feel blissful to be around such treasure, to be able to open up that case and feel the awe.

Great words!

Could not have put it better myself.

Kevin

When you drive your Ferrari out on the streets and it receives the envious gawks and awes, sure it does remind you subconsciously that ‘you’ve made it’,***********Or like many affluent looking people I know, they are
hocked up to their eyeballs !**************but that’s just an incidental by-product and hardly the reason you bought the car.

Ok, I took mine back to the store. I could not get use to the small frets. Just a preference thing. Wonderful guitar though!

Whats the size compared to a typical American Standard Strat?

The American Pro strats are 6105 wire now. I believe it was posted that this wire is similar to a 6230 wire, which is pretty tiny in comparison. That was my only gripe about the guitar. Its the one thing that ruins the MM Luke series as well. Vintage height wire on that too. I've argued on the MM forums that artists personal guitars should be whatever the artist wants, obviously, but mass produced versions should have fret wire that is more universally accepted.

***********Or like many affluent looking people I know, they are
hocked up to their eyeballs !*************

Yep. Most of the wealthy 'LOOKING' people I know are in debt like crazy. So thankful I found Dave Ramsey many years back. (no affiliation!!!)

Kevin

Back