The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Who chose the name Silver Sky, and why?
Apologies if this is a silly question...
I'm not sure either but I remember Bono once describing the Edge's Strat sound as the "Silver" tone or sound. It's always stuck in my head so I'd wondered if it stuck in his too... anyhoo, just a long shot.

I'm not sure either but I remember Bono once describing the Edge's Strat sound as the "Silver" tone or sound. It's always stuck in my head so I'd wondered if it stuck in his too... anyhoo, just a long shot.

Someone brought it up earlier in this thread that the first protoype was the tungsten colour. John loved it and named it Silver Sky, and hence it stuck since then. Haha.

I came across this from JM. Its nice that he says that his SS is a production model, and not extra-special-modded.

Great video. Why don't single coil guitars sound this way when I play them? Sounds f^ckin' great. I love the deep dive into the details of the guitar. He does an excellent job explaining the reasoning behind everything. Oh yeah, it sounds f^ckin' great.

I know they wanted modern colors, but for me, the best color for anything strat-like is and always will be Daphne Blue.

I am also a Daphne, Sea Foam, Sonic kinda guy (the Leo era 63’ in my Avatar is LPB) but I’d like to see PRS offer retro colours that are similar to the classic vintage Fender colours we (Fender / vintage dudes) know and love but still uniquely PRS. So Fender has Lake Placid Blue, Gibson has Pelham Blue...ATM at least. Maybe something like Ballistic Blue which is a bit more sparkly (vintage automotive candy apple type of of blue) I don’t like it more tthan the the other colours mentioned but it sits loosely in that general ballpark. I’m just trying to make a point, There are many possible subtle variations in tone when it comes to colours. Though I guess if he PRS did a Daphne one for example but called it sky blue or baby blue I wouldn’t care and would probably buy one thinking that as with the guitar, Paul’s gone with tones that are period correct and while they are two sompletely different animals, PRS has done everything possible so that the guitar has appeal’s to “Big F” purists, PRS lovers and those others looking for their first boutique S-Style guitar that appears & sound simply superb.

Gotta remember it’s not a Strat.

Hanging out for the phone call that says, “Hi is that C..ven . Leigh from The Rock Inn here mate, Your new PRS Silver Sky (Tungsten) has arrived when do you want to pick it up”? Ring damn you, ring !!!

Last edited:
Back