The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I believe I read somewhere that one of the reasons Joe Knaggs left PRS was because he wanted to do more of a six-in-line, single-coil type guitar. I find it a bit ironic that when Paul finally decides to do it, the design is very close to the F company from an appearance standpoint. Now Knaggs has some killer guitar designs that are single-coil with six-in-line headstocks and more of what we would expect from a company like PRS that pushes the boundaries. I believe a lot of the controversy comes down to the fact that from the outside the Silver Sky looks just like a Strat regardless of tweaks. Only the future holds whether this will be accepted in the marketplace. Maybe if the design was more like the Choptank and a little more out-of-the-box there would not be as much backlash. Yes, many other companies besides Fender have done and still do Strat-bodied guitars, but that's where they started and personally I don't put them in the same class as PRS. Do something more original or walk away from the opportunity. There are 1000s of used Strats on the market that JM could use if needed. I wish PRS the best with the Silver-Sky. YMMV.

PS. I do love my DGT!

Last edited:
Back to the Thomann video, I liked the rich lower mids of the Silver Sky, and the very articulate highs that still sounded round, not too spiky.

The SS and Fender definitely had a more vintage vibe; between the two, the SS sounded (to me) more like the guitar you find after a long holy grail 60s Strat search, but the Fender sounded very nice in a different way.

The Suhr definitely was more what I call “LA Modern”; Suhr’s amps sound that way to me as well. Picking between them might be kind of a John Mayer style vs Pete Thorn style thing.

Damn nice guitars!

I don’t get the hate. Different instruments suit different players...differently. They might even suit different songs more for a given player. F’rinstance, the SS really was most awesome on that little “Sultans of Swing” snippet.

People need to get over themselves. :)
So I finally had a chance to watch a few of the recent YouTube vids, including the Thomann 3-way comparo.

I definitely preferred the sound of the PRS and Fender. At about 4:30 there is a little half-open chord thing he does, and it sounded great on the PRS and F, and kinda meh on the Suhr, which surprised me. I would have thought the slightly more modern take of that guitar would make it, um, "glassier" and more like what I wanted.

I certainly see one of the PRS Silver Sky models in my future. Now leaning to Black, due to the Anderton's vid mentioning that it has a little metallic look to it.

@Shawn@PRS beside the commemorative plaque on the case, the cases that will be sold separately will be exactly the same or it will be a slight difference to make the first 500 as a collectors item?

After the first 500, they’ll be shipped with gig bags instead of hard cases.

A John Mayer hard case with the plaque can be purchased separately.

@rugerpc So what makes it so rare if the case with the same plaque will be sold separately.. there is no logic to promote it as a collectors limited opportunity if anyone can grab this in the end

mayer himself just broke down the design, why he chose what he chose, sort of why he left fender and took his ideas to prs.

Notes that I thought might be relevant here:

Why the 7.25 radius?
Something like “most of the guitars that i’ve Liked in the past have 7.25 radius, but I’m not very picky, I can’t really tell the difference between 9.5 and 12 just from playing. I know I like 7.25 so we went to 7.25. I don’t believe it’s harder to solo or bend with that radius”

Will maple fret board be available?
“Very likely if there is interest and it seems like there is”

Why these colors?
“If this guitar came out brand new in 2018 colors like sunburst wouldn’t be available, I wanted colors appropriate to 2018, this red color is the exact color of red Tesla’s”

Will there be other colors eventually?
“Very likely”

Nature of his relationship with PRS and why he left fender...
“I’m not really sponsored by PRS the same way that tiger woods is sponsored by Nike, I don’t get paid a bunch of money to promote. I left fender because I had all these ideas of how to make my perfect guitar and fender said they couldn’t make it happen. I took my ideas to Paul and we had a discussion about how to make it happen [he had a bit of a monologue about how much he appreciated being able to talk to the CEO of the company directly to discuss his ideas]”

Not exact quotes but I tried my best for y’all.

Edit: You can watch the 40 minute video on his Instagram story.

Anderton's demo was great!
But man....they keep showing the Tungsten in all marketing collateral etc. Making it the "main" colour haha.
My local dealer had a few of each color for the first 500 run. the Tungsten and Frost sold out quick. Black and Red were slower.

Anyhows...I've got a Frost on order, one of the 500. Looking to trade for a tungsten!

@evanjlim I think we all misunderstood the idea.. the same case with the first 500 will be sold separately..so there is nothing special that will differentiate the first 500.. because the others can buy the exact case like yours..

I thought it will be a collectors item :(

A manufacturer can’t simply slap a name plate on a case and call it a collector’s item. All you have is kind of an ersatz collector’s item.

Legit collectors are usually after primo examples of a special guitar many years down the road, after it’s proven itself, and even then, it’s only valuable if certain stars align.

Will my extremely limited run Private Stock models be collector’s items 50 years from now?

Probably not.

Who cares? I’ll be dead.

I bought them to play, now. If they become valuable to my grandkids, woo-hoo, but it sure won’t affect my life.

They sounded freaking fabulous!

It was also nice to hear the side-by-side comparisons.

Oh, hell yeah - those two videos REALLY impressed me. If I didn't KNOW beyond a doubt that a three single coil guitar in that configuration does NOT work for me I would HAVE to have a (I shudder to say the name, lol) Silver Sky. If (and that's a BIG "if") one pops up locally I'll be sure to play it though....

Oh, hell yeah - those two videos REALLY impressed me. If I didn't KNOW beyond a doubt that a three single coil guitar in that configuration does NOT work for me I would HAVE to have a (I shudder to say the name, lol) Silver Sky. If (and that's a BIG "if") one pops up locally I'll be sure to play it though....

Yeah, I’ve had a few Strat type guitars. Never worked for me except to have “that sound” when I needed it, which wasn’t that often; so I think I had my last one about 20 years ago.

On the other hand, like you, I do want to play one of these. If I can somehow bond with it, I’ll get one, because damn, it sounds good!

@rugerpc So what makes it so rare if the case with the same plaque will be sold separately.. there is no logic to promote it as a collectors limited opportunity if anyone can grab this in the end

It was never touted as a collector’s item by the factory that I know of...

It was a free bonus (hard cases cost more than gig bags) for the early birds and to increase the buzz and initial orders a bit.

Serious collectors wouldn’t waste their time on a 1 n 500 item anyway. Too many initial specimens. And, the price point of the guitar is all wrong for it to be a collector’s item in any case. (See what I did there? :) )

Now, if they were sequentially numbered, that’d be a different thing. They are not.

Back