The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I'm worried about the fret size. I checked and it seems like the Dunlop 6230 fretwire is what was used in vintage single coil guitars. I've played a few 3 single coil guitars with vintage fretwire and they weren't easy to play. Had to fight the guitar a lot.

First let me mention this guitar is not for me. I am not a strat guy. But, I don't get the complaining. Remember, it is a SIGNATURE model - specifically a JOHN MAYER SIGNATURE model. This is NOT a "general release" PRS Strat. This guitar was built to appeal to Mayer and his desires in a VINTAGE STYLE guitar - NOT a modern style Strat. In the end, it was made available for those who are interested in buying it.

Post of the Week!
Mark, you get it. Thank you.

I agree with those saying "I want a strat I might as well get the real deal". Does the world need another strat copy? Probably not. When I saw the first shots of JM playing this, I said "come on, how is Paul going to explain this? Paul who has ever done it his way now making another strat, what a shame."

Having said all of that, I'm now very excited now to see Paul's take on it. For those of us who really trust Paul's vision, it's very appealing to have a strat with all the rules of tone applied to it and all the PRS attention to details and tweaks to make the guitar really soar.

That's completely out of my budget, but I'd have that in my collection in a heart beat. I have only one strat (a squier CV 60's) and I find it hard to justify owning another strat, but this would make a damn fine addition.

Post of the Week!
Mark, you get it. Thank you.

Thanks, man. It's obvious to me. I am not a JM fan, but it's clear the dude is a VINTAGE strat guy. He just wants a BETTER one, so it makes perfect sense to go to a company that understands history, respects the classics, but isn't afraid to tweak the recipe to make it better (PRS). In the end, JM gets a more stable, "vintage" S-type guitar, PRSh gets the potential to have a 3 single coil guitar that the market "accepts" (after he has tried MANY times) - it's a WIN-WIN for those two guys.

For the rest of us....it's perspective. Like I said, hang tight for a while. We don't know what could come in the future if this model is successful.

The Finish: The body of the Silver Sky gets the exact same finish you would find on an Artist Package Custom 24 or McCarty 594. Several years ago we moved on from the "V12" finish to a new formula.

Is there somewhere we can get more info on the new finish used?

Yes, it is a throwback to the other strat copy, the Tokai "Silver Star". So actually I guess PRS is copying two companies with this one.

The new PRS "Artist" marketing theme:

"You don't like our PRS guitars, fine, most don't. We'll make you a copy of the brand you like. We have no shame. Show us the money." :)
I think this is really short sighted...

Why is it a strat copy? Because it has single coils mounted on a pickguard? With that line of thinking, every guitar ever made is a Fender/Gibson copy?

I don’t want that Toyota Tundra, it’s just a model T copy.... I don't want satellite TV, it’s just a copy of my rotary antenna... I don't want my wife to wear victoria secret, it’s just a copy of corsets from the 1800’s... you get the point...

When I but a 9V pedal power supply from china for $3 instead of the exactly same one from CA that is $15, that is a copy!

The whole point of innovation is to take something and make it better... PRS guitars are make with exceptional care to details. This results in better finish, tone, durability, feel, and overall quality. That's why we all have them...

If Fenders/Gibsons quality control was half as good as PRS, we wouldn't be talking about this. People would just buy a guitar from them.

That is the signature of PRS... not a pickup or shape... It’s a quality instrument that plays like a million bucks out of the box everytime... Haters be on notice...

Last edited:
Hell no!! I'll go EBMM Cutlass before a $xxxx strat. Color me disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t wait to see what the 10 Top ,Wood Library and Artist tops look like on these in the future.....

It's better than a Strat in all regards but one. Now crackwood for neck and no beveled heel(Fender offers both) .

Thank you very much for the additional infos and PRSs thoughts behind the execution.

Always interesting.

Regarding the neck angle vs string trees - there are staggered tuners on some strats that eliminate the need for string trees. The Wood Library Customs with a maple neck have a neck angle and no scarf joint. So it´s not like the multi piece neck is an inevitability - except to keep the cost down.

But enough ranting now on my part. I guess I´ll have to play one first

Meh

I got pretty excited about the 594 and I'll probably never sell it but this is just meh. Seems more like a marketing ploy and money grab. Never been a strat guy, if I was I'd already have a Fender. I bought my 594 because it was a unique and beautiful instrument. To me every Fender looks like it was made with a cookie cutter.

Just sharing my honest opinion, if you're offended by it that's on you :)

It's better than a Strat in all regards but one. Now crackwood for neck and no beveled heel(Fender offers both) .
It's not identical to the beveled heel that Fender does, but it's still better than a regular block heel. Looks to be the same as what was on the DC3.
The Wood Library Customs with a maple neck have a neck angle and no scarf joint. So it´s not like the multi piece neck is an inevitability - except to keep the cost down.
I will never understand the complaint with a scarf joint neck. It has been proven over and over again that it's stronger than any one piece neck, and I know Paul wouldn't be doing it if it was going to be detrimental to tone.

Last edited:
Thanks, man. It's obvious to me. I am not a JM fan, but it's clear the dude is a VINTAGE strat guy. He just wants a BETTER one, so it makes perfect sense to go to a company that understands history, respects the classics, but isn't afraid to tweak the recipe to make it better (PRS). In the end, JM gets a more stable, "vintage" S-type guitar, PRSh gets the potential to have a 3 single coil guitar that the market "accepts" (after he has tried MANY times) - it's a WIN-WIN for those two guys.

For the rest of us....it's perspective. Like I said, hang tight for a while. We don't know what could come in the future if this model is successful.

Yep.

Casi1 is gonna hang tight.

And wait.

For a red one.

With a maple board.

I'm not a Strat guy, they just never worked for me. When Paul started developing this guitar, I had a pretty big "meh" response to it. After I got to play the finalized version, I'm all in. I want one!

I'll be curious to hear reports from the general public on playability, fit and finish and tone.

I am genuinely interested. I love Strats and I love PRS guitars. Putting them together doesn't seem like a terrible idea to me.

I am a bit annoyed that a $xxxx (Canadian here) guitar only comes with a gig bag. I'll play one and see how it feels, but I am very tempted to pull the trigger on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a Strat guy, they just never worked for me. When Paul started developing this guitar, I had a pretty big "meh" response to it. After I got to play the finalized version, I'm all in. I want one!

I'll be curious to hear reports from the general public on playability, fit and finish and tone.
A good Strat is a good addition because it really does have a very different character. I think this has a good chance of covering that space without the worry about "Will this one be a good one?".

What do the pickups look like? Do they have that little triangle thingy on the base? Can I put them in my DC3 if I ever find a pair?

Back