The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Wow - that pick guard really pops on that. Nice!

Glad you got your pics posted.

Hey folks. This is my first post to the PRS forum. I picked up my Silver Sky last week and am blown away with it. After 20 years of almost exclusively playing a tele I may now have a new No1! I have a couple of nice amps including a 1962 Fender Vibrolux. I notice with this amp that the Silver Sky is pushing some very high frequencies (presence) that the amp doesn't really seem capable of producing. I know JM recommends playing this through a "fender amp". Im just wondering what amp you find is the best match for the Silver Sky and does anyone understand what I mean by the guitar producing upper end frequencies that the amp cant re-produce. The frequencies aren't ice picky though.

Last edited:
Hey folks. This is my first post to the PRS forum. I picked up my Silver Sky last week and am blown away with it. After 20 years of almost exclusively playing a tele I may now have a new No1! I have a couple of nice amps including a 1962 Fender Vibrolux. I notice with this amp that the Silver Sky is pushing some very high frequencies (presence) that the amp doesn't really seem capable of producing. I know JM recommends playing this through a "fender amp". Im just wondering what amp you find is the best match for the Silver Sky and does anyone understand what I mean by the guitar producing upper end frequencies that the amp cant re-produce. The frequencies aren't ice picky though.
Congrats! Great guitar.
Not entirely sure what you mean about the higher frequencies. So far, everything I plug it into rocks!

Can any frost (white) owners comment on if the finish has any metallic to it? or is it literally just flat gloss white. I have not seen the white one in the flesh yet and can't decide. id definitely like it to have the metallic in the same as the onyx black one. very subtle but pops nicely. I know the scoop has the pearl metallic flick to it but what about the main body? any pics up close?? thanks, jak

Can any frost (white) owners comment on if the finish has any metallic to it? or is it literally just flat gloss white. I have not seen the white one in the flesh yet and can't decide. id definitely like it to have the metallic in the same as the onyx black one. very subtle but pops nicely. I know the scoop has the pearl metallic flick to it but what about the main body? any pics up close?? thanks, jak

I own one in Frost. It's just in the scoop.

7LcfecQ.jpg
dix4oLx.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Mine's currently going in through a Blues Cube and sounding great across all tones if that helps. I originally tried it in the shop through an Orange and thought it did stifle some of the presence.

Love the pick guard - can you please tells us ALL of the details???

so i came across a vintage guitar parts maker and he actually made a black pick guard for someones silver sky, so i wasn't the first to do this. his name is dan, his website is mojoaxe.com he is super nice and does amazing work. i found a this pattern on a blank piece of pick guard material on a website called warmoth.com.

special edition blonde blues jr lll.. could not sound any better!
IBr7s2Y.jpg

Got my hands on a Silver Sky in Frost at Atlanta GC yesterday.

I compared it to an American Elite Strat and an American Professional Strat. The PRS blew them both away tone-wise. No question. I admit to being surprised at the balance across the 635JM pickups. Every position sounded great with even volume. Neck/middle especially was instant John Mayer.

Playability-wise, I didn't notice the radius or frets and had no trouble jumping from one to the other in this limited situation. However, I hated the back shape of the Silver Sky neck! Too much shoulder for me and it was instantly uncomfortable. It has been a long time since I played the modern Fenders, but their latest back shape is great. I wanted to give the American Professional a hug, it felt so nice.

I guess that Paul guy actually knows what he's talking about. You really do need to get a guitar in your hands in order to make a decision about it. The Silver Sky is a super guitar, just not for me.

I had my first gig and full day band rehearsal with my new Onyx Silver Sky last weekend.

I am in love with this guitar and have already adapted to the Vintage Radius, small frets and thicker neck. Its almost the opposite to my skinny tele neck which I've become so accustomed to over the last 20 years. I find the neck so seductive and cant stop playing this guitar. In fact I have sold 2 of my strats and will sell off the rest of them as this guitar really makes them redundant.

Its the first time I've really noticed fretboard radius because it now feels weird playing some of my other guitars with a really flat radius.

I raised the bridge pickup a little which really helps it to "rock out". I love having the tone control wired hard to the bridge at it sounds most balanced at around 7. You can then roll it back to 10 to brighten up the Bridge/Middle position to balance with the rest.

My luthier/ guitar repair guy will be back in town next week. Im looking forward to floating the bridge and getting him to install a treble bleed circuit.

Have any of you floated the tremelo? Have you noticed a change in tone? JM & PRS said that having the tremelo tight against the body helps make the guitar resonate. I wouldn't want to lose any of that!

So here’s what I really want to know. Any of you guys who are REALLY into playing Jimi, liking this thing? Jimi bends and riffs play well on this?

So here’s what I really want to know. Any of you guys who are REALLY into playing Jimi, liking this thing? Jimi bends and riffs play well on this?

Yeah. Jimi bends are easy on this guitar. No worries with 3 note bends. No fretting out. Im finding this guitar easy to play with 10s. Easier than my old strats.

Im having a little trouble getting my thumb to fret over the top as the neck is a bit thicker than I am used to. Its more difficult the closer I get to the nut. Im either going to have to grow another couple of mls on my thumb or work on my technique.

Have a look at the John Meyer video he posted to instagram. He talks about the radius and describes how the vintage radius makes playing with thumb over the top and Jimi style extensions (6&9s) easy to play.

The only disadvantage of this neck radius is playing slide guitar. Im not very good at slide but Im definitely struggling more so with the factory set low action and vintage radius. How is everyone else going with the slide?

Has anyone else thought it would be nice to have a SRV Texas style hot pickup version of this guitar?
But they'd probably need to change the name of the guitar to the "El Gringo" model or something. :)

Back