The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

36857656_1985513438139133_3176095338633101312_n.jpg

36798553_1985514788138998_5316666657676984320_n.jpg

Anyone else's saddles getting some kind of oxidation? I'm hoping it's not rust

That looks like pitting/rust.

When you don't chrome plate or anodize the steel saddles (or gold plate, or paint, or or "blue" - which is a chemical oxidation process), which are typically some formed of stamped steel, they will rust. Some steels are more malleable than others, which make them ideal for stamping or "bending". Certainly price/cost is an issue as it is always more expensive to plate a metal. As a matter of fact, in general, factories of steel products will often send out their products to a company that plates metals, as the EPA regulations are costly and a pain to manage.

There is a much disputed marketing rumor that people can here the difference from chrome plated parts vs non chrome plated parts.

Then again........if I could do that, I would have a Super Power!!!

But I would still suck at playing guitar!

Try adjusting the truss rod. Of the 5 PRS's I've owned, including McCarty 245 and 594 models, the guitars all came from factory with the truss rods not adjusted. Some might say that this is something the retailer is supposed to do for the customer, but not all retailers do it. It is also something that the owner can do, given that the tools are provided with the guitar, so perhaps this is one of the reasons why some retailers don't do it. Just my observation.

Another thing is that the G bridge saddle might have come down a bit. I have observed that the Silver Sky bridge saddle adjustment grub screws are quite loose. During a string change, while flipping the guitar and moving it around, I found that all my saddles dropped and some were at weird angles after I strung up. I had to re-adjust them up.

SkyNoob, thanks for your advice. I've never adjusted a truss rod, and have always relied on the pros for my (too infrequent) setups, but maybe this is the time for me to learn.

Local store told me today the Silver Sky SE would be released in August???

Anybody else heard this? I said he was lying. But he swears by it.

Local store told me today the Silver Sky SE would be released in August???

Anybody else heard this? I said he was lying. But he swears by it.

That might get me to pull the trigger on one of these. I'm pretty covered on the S type guitar but would be more likely to get on board at a lower price point. I don't think the core SS is overpriced or anything. It just fills a need I don't have. That could all change if I had a chance to play one.

So...I wandered into a guitar shop today. Played around with some AWESOME PRS wood library guitars...

:p

Then as I was walking out all happy, I tell the owner how awesome his store is and I say that the only thing that could make it more AWESOMER was if he had a Silver Sky.

To which he says...

“Well actually.... I do have one of those”

And I look up on the wall... and I see

The lone Silver Sky.

Just hanging on the wall.

:eek:

So...I wandered into a guitar shop today. Played around with some AWESOME PRS wood library guitars...

Then as I was walking out all happy, I tell the owner how awesome his store is and I say that the only thing that could make it more AWESOMER was if he had a Silver Sky.

To which he says...

The lone Silver Sky.

And?

To which he says...

The lone Silver Sky.

Annnnnd thennnn????? Spill sister!o_O

Honestly, it sounded great... it definitely has that ‘single coil strat’ sound down and the thing quacks for DAYS. Also, neither the vintage radius nor the small fret wire were problems for me. The guitar played very easily.

However, I did not care for the lacquered neck (I am spoiled by the PRS satin maple neck and this guitar doesn’t have it) nor did I like the feel of the knobs and the switch. It ‘felt’ to me like a cross between a SE and a S2 (but leaning more toward S2) but it sounded so good.

I would definitely be interested in an Artist Package (if one becomes available at some point) if the neck is upgraded... but this version did not blow me away in all areas.

AND THAT'S how wars are startedo_O:D

A SE version would not surprise me. Our crystal ball told us that it might be coming when we found the Silver Sky copyright info. But I’d be worried about what (quality-wise) would be downgraded from the current level.

Hey fellow Silver Sky owners! On the back of mine, I can see what I imagine is the line where the separate pieces of wood are combined to form the body. I have it in the frost finish and am wondering if this is normal. It may very well be, as I don't have any other point of reference outside my own guitar! Anyone else's have this? Thanks!

Hey fellow Silver Sky owners! On the back of mine, I can see what I imagine is the line where the separate pieces of wood are combined to form the body. I have it in the frost finish and am wondering if this is normal. It may very well be, as I don't have any other point of reference outside my own guitar! Anyone else's have this? Thanks!

Yes, that is normal on a 2 or 3 piece body.

However, what really is so aesthetically unpleasing to me is that the necks are 2 pieces with a Scarf joint. That is the glue line were the two pieces meet.
I honestly can't get over it. It is a hangup with me on a personal level. It is a cheaper way to build a neck. Of all the PRS guitars I own (about 45), not a single one is built like that. S2s and CEs are multiple pieces as well with Korean parts.

I was told that this provides a back angle to the head stock, thereby eliminating string trees.

My Eric Johnson Strat has a deeper recess head stock to eliminate string trees. It is essentially built with a thicker piece of maple.

From that perspective, the PRS 305 was a better designed and built guitar. THAT was a serious upgraded strat!

As good as the SS guitar is, I would of like to see a one piece neck, and 1 or 2 piece body, and plated saddles.

However, the cost prohibited the extra expense. Besides, I am sure a Wood Library run or Private Stock might get you there!

Agghhh.

Back